1/18 - Focke Wulf Fw.190A-5 & A-8 by HobbyBoss (Merit plastic) - A-5 & A-8 released

Homebee

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

1/18? 

Is that a bit odd?

(As in strange, 18 isn't an odd number)

I thought is was 1/24 then 1/16 after 1/32? 

It's an element in a binary progression from 1/72 scale, ie 2 x 18  = 36, 2 x 36 = 72.

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Heraldcoupe said:

It's an element in a binary progression from 1/72 scale, ie 2 x 18  = 36, 2 x 36 = 72.

Cheers,

Bill.

True, but still an uncommon scale? Thought they would make it 1/16. As in twice the size of 1/32. 

Never seen something in 1/36?

But I suppose they could go down the '4 times larger than 1/72' marketing route. 

11 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Never seen something in 1/36?

A lot of scale drawings have historically been marketed in 1/36, though agreed it's never been a 'kit' scale. 

1/18 was quite a common scale for diecast cars, though 1/16 seems to have won out since the 1990s. It has been used more widely as a scale for pre-built model/toy aircraft though from 21st Century Toys though, so there is a track record of sorts.

Cheers,

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

1/18 is the real man's scale - none of that piffling little 1/32 rubbish. I predict that everything will be 1/18 in a certain number of years.................. (:>)

I used to think that too, which is why I ditched all that 1/32 nonsense for 1/24. Looks like I'm going to have to up the macho factor and ditch 1/24 for 1/18. 

1/1 here we come!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That is going to need a whole heap of scratchbuilding and aftermarket not to look like a toy.  At that scale every switch, wire, circuit breaker and coffee stain on the pilot seat will be visible.  Compared to the detail in the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon, that looks very basic indeed.

This kit looks like it was intended to be issued by Merit International as one of their pre-finished models. They previously released an AV-8B in this scale. It's no coincidence that Trumpeter/HobbyBoss did the tooling for all of Merit's previous kits and pre-builts.

A quick look in 'other places' seems to confirm the kit is some sort of tie in with the Merit kits / prebuilt models.  I supect the panel on the fuselage side is to cover a screw hole. It's basic given it's scale but as a starting point for a detailed build or having a go at a really big kit perhaps not a bad point to start.

If you're looking for a 'conventional' kit I guess you will be disappointed.

I guess RRP will be the deciding factor. 

It would look pretty impressive on a show table with the general public looking on...

Still want one, but the downer for me is I'm only building Russian and Water Bomber stuff, just so I can concentrate more on what I'm building. This is crying to have a tonne of scratch built stuff added, and it would look great on a table. Who knows, if the price is right...

Oh my. Just from the sprue-pics I see tons of things that dont fit. Just to mention the forward part of the armoured part of canopy. Its rounded! an in real life a straight top. The MG Cowling, the undercarriage and so on. Pity this plastic is wasted on a model with so much potential. By all means the old Airfix 1/24 FW190 A5 would do better.  The seat is a nightmare and the ETC rack would do better as a Teutonic sword scabbard...

• Like 1