Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

Made me really angry this no doubt a lot of other people too .

It's going to mess up some seriously good content on a lot of forums. 

I won't pay out of principal now , how they went about this is pure extortion.  I too am off to find Flickr or imgur . 

• Like 1

@Mike

Mike, I realise that you've stated before that you don't allow direct uploading of pics from people's hard drives due to security concerns. Whilst they are obviously valid, I have just been reading a thread on the railway modelling forum 'RMweb' which has also been rendered worthless by Photobucket's 'legal' ransomware attack. A number of posters on there have made the point (too late obviously!) that the thread owner should have ignored hosting sites & simply uploaded directly from his hard drive. The point I'm getting to is that the RMweb forum is also hosted on Invision & it's a pretty big beast - over 31,700 members. So, I'm just wondering if they are able to allow direct uploads, are there possibly now protocols put in place by Invision that might mitigate the security risks? 

I ask this as being a bit of an eternal pessimist, I wonder just how long it might be until some of the other free hosting sites decide that they like the look of Photobuckets new 'business model' and jump on the bandwagon, or go under for some other reason, leaving forum users in the same position they now find themselves in...

ATB

Keith

It's all about space and bandwidth. The server has around a third of its SSD space used up, and about 80% of its included bandwidth per month.  If we were to open this up to members posting pictures, we would soon fill our SSDs, and breach our bandwidth allowance, both of which would cost us a LOT of money in addition to our current costs each month.  We simply can't afford that as things stand, and it's not something that we want to consider at this time, due to the practical, and even (possibly) legal ramifications.

• Like 4

In addition to Mike's response, I understand that RMWeb is associated with a publishing business, which generates income from magazines and book sales, plus they charge vendors to advertise at a business rate in those pubs.  I would think these are the reasons they can afford the additional and expensive bandwidth to host imaging.

Mike

1 minute ago, bootneck said:

In addition to Mike's response, I understand that RMWeb is associated with a publishing business which allows vendors to advertise at a business rate.  I would think their book and magazine sales, plus the advertising, is how they can afford the additional and expensive bandwidth to host imaging.

Mike

Hi Mike, yep that's right, they were taken over by the company that publishes British Railway Modelling (BRM) magazine - I wouldn't have posted the question had I realized the full implications of allowing direct uploads.

ATB

Keith

So we all now know about the latest Photobucket shooting-themselves-in-the-foot policy. The question is - is there a simple, quick and easy way to move all my hundreds of photos in PB to Flickr, or some other hosting service?

What a disaster for old threads! A LOT  of reference gets lost this way!

At least fo me it is nearly impossible to update photo links on 30 or so build threads and lots more RFI ...

A bit sad for those great threads from others I enjoyed looking at :(

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, exdraken said:

What a disaster for old threads! A LOT  of reference gets lost this way!

At least fo me it is nearly impossible to update photo links on 30 or so build threads and lots more RFI ...

A bit sad for those great threads from others I enjoyed looking at :(

Couldn't agree more. Some of the WIP threads have been a real help since my return to the hobby.

• Like 2

I've posted this elsewhere but I'm still REALLY PO'd by this. I've posted here for 10 years, started dozens of threads, WIPs, RFIs, pearls of wisdom and some great top tips. 

Sadly this means I'll have to spam the site with loads of new threads of old models. :rofl:

Al

• Like 2

At least old stuff should not be eliminated simply from one day to another! New stuff ... not nice but somehow ok....

But simply changing rules is not...

Their site has crashed , but they must have known that would happen in the planning stages of the incredibly stunning marketing move attempted in the last few months. Either a brilliant move , getting rid of 'freeloaders' , or one of the stupidest moves by an internet company ever.

Like the owner gave his grandchildren permission to play on the service site and is saying right now "Aren't they the cutest" .

But as the saying goes (even WAY before the internet ) : "If its too good to be true"... , or "nothing is free".

'nuff said.

• Like 1

All of my WIP's are posted on Photobucket so this is going to be a right pain....

Anyway, I also have an Office 360 account and thought I'd do a test post. It's a bit of a faff to do but I think it works..

y4mTiUjRFup4mNK_pLUTcvjtiI1ifSY-rkmuyTUQ

I might update a few of my recent WIPs but others are probably out of the question. I have/had about 1000 pictures on PB, all of them related to modelling forum posts....

Hopefully They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind as someone once said..

Karl

• Like 4

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

Is it possible for each of us to open our own website to store pics to link to sites.

I would welcome any comments

Kev

yes, I mentioned google in a previous post (page 2, whatever happened to post numbers?). Start a blog. http://www.blogger.com

You don't even have to 'publish' stuff. Just load the pics you want to copy here, get the HTML code (SRC=" ...jpg") and put it into the 'insert other media' box when posting here. 

• Like 1

Photos for WIPs and RFIs for my first ever diorama and two subsequent dioramas were hosted by Photobucket. Unfortunately I was a newbie, and didn't realise that the 'expletives' could or would change their Terms and Conditions.  I AM NOT REGISTERING WITH TWITTER IN ORDER TO RE-GAIN ACCESS TO MY PHOTOS! Even more unfortunately I deleted the photos from my laptop to free up memory space, and relied on PB to 'save' them for me. And even more more unfortunately I never saved my photos on a memory stick.

So now I have no photos for the WIPs for the dioramas Carry on Regardless, Villers Bocage, or Lost in France. All 3 of which were in the top 10 most viewed. And I can't even re-photograph the RFI for Villers Bocage as the diorama no longer exists!

I AM GUTTED.

I AM FURIOUS.

I AM GOING TO WRITE A STRONGLY WORDED LETTER TO PHOTOEXPLETIVE.

BTW, I now use 'Hostingpics'. It's a French site, all in French, but the format is pretty 'guessable' and it didn't take long to work out how to use it. It's free and the total photo capacity is, as far as I can tell, unlimited.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Talk about waiting for the axe to fall! all my PB posts are still there I keep expecting the dreaded message to appear but not yet,I am imagining someone

toying with me like a cat with a mouse "not yet,not yet,let him stew then we will destroy his world" Muahahahaha,now I know what the poor folk felt

like back in the great plague coming home to find a crosson the door,curse you Photobucket!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Badder said:

Unfortunately I was a newbie, and didn't realise that the 'expletives' could or would change their Terms and Conditions. 

I don't think your being a newbie had any bearing on it - none of us saw it coming!

Keith

I can't access MY photos. It says I have to pay because my account is restricted due to exceeding

uploads capacity. So I can't even go on there and download my own photos. and I can't go on there as a 'visitor' because PB automatically logs me in as a member. EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVES!

3 minutes ago, Badder said:

I can't access MY photos. It says I have to pay because my account is restricted due to exceeding

uploads capacity. So I can't even go on there and download my own photos. and I can't go on there as a 'visitor' because PB automatically logs me in as a member. EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVES!

That's ridiculous, how can that be legal? Your pictures must surely be your property, certainly you hold the copyright to them, so they're useless to Photobucket?

This gets more & more like a 'legal' ransomware attack by the hour!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Badder said:

You should still be able to access your account and your photos directly in PB's site. It's "only" the so called 3rd party hosting (i.e.: linking to the photos from other sites like BM) that is blocked.

When you access your photos in PB, you're still able to download them to your PC.

Hope this  helps.

Cheers

Jaime

Just now, keefr22 said:

That's ridiculous, how can that be legal? Your pictures must surely be your property, certainly you hold the copyright to them, so they're useless to Photobucket?

This gets more & more like a 'legal' ransomware attack by the hour!

I'm going to get the wife to search for PB on her laptop and try to 'view' photos as a 'visitor'. I am thinking she might be able to. I can't do it because as I said, PB recognises my laptop and logs me in automatically. Funny how I used to have to log in with member name and password before this eh? If she can view photos as a visitor she can maybe visit my library and download the photos????? I dunno. Worth a try.

Badder

• Like 2

Last time I looked their site had crashed.

I did manage to grab all my photos last night.

Just a case of using something else and slowly rebuilding my previous posts.

It'll take time and loosing them isn't life changing,  just annoying. 

I must say I never have relied on the Internet for anything. Just a convenience thing. I have all those pictures on the pc and backed up at another safe physical place. Just for times like these.

Oh well, moving on....

Rick.

• Like 2