Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

This is just an experiment to see if it works.

I have an Office 360 subscription, which includes 1 TByte of cloud space in OneDrive. I've just uploaded a picture of some recent modelling work. Then right-clicked on it in OneDrive and chose the "Embed" option. This produces an HTML string for direct access to the picture. The string was copied and here I chose "Insert other media", on the lower right hand corner of the editor, then "Insert image from URL" and pasted the HTML string to the dialogue window.

Voilà!
y4meVw0zAy8FQzD_lMKJp7v1-pt5HOwEQIlaspPX

This could work with other storage services, possibly.

If any of you is unable to see the picture, please let me know.

I'm now considering moving my pictures to One Drive and slowly update the links in my previous posts.

Cheers

Jaime

You will have to be quick on some and you will have lost on most. My understanding is that after 2 months you cannot edit

an article it is locked. Read that it is an authority regulation. But not authenticated just read by me.

Laurie

i just went back to a thread of mine on here that was back in April of last year and edited it with no issues but when I tried on a post of a similar age on another forum I got a message saying I couldn't so I'm wondering if it's something that's set in a forums settings.

would be very surprised at a law that would stop anyone editing their own content after a set level of time ( Wikipedia is designed to be edited for example ) 

i know regulations are getting tighter all the time but I'm pretty sure we still live in a reasonably free society and it's not quite North Korea just yet

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
Usual butchery of my mother tongue

Regarding the issue of time limits for editing past posts, I've edited my first RFI to replace the picture links. It was from May 2015 and I managed to do it. 

Cheers

Jaime 

Despite all the grumbles about changes at Flickr over the past few years, I would still recommend migrating your albums over to your desktop then upload to Flickr.

After reading Mark 1984's link I was rather shocked to see how much they were charging.

Flickr are still charging $49.99 for a pro account which I have had since June 2009.

https://www.flickr.com/account/upgrade/pro

It does actually say unlimited storage, but I would question that over 2Tb, but who's going to do that. Not even a professional photographer would achieve that I would have thought.

I have seen stuff about Flickr charging $499 per year for 2Tb of storage, but since 2009 I have only used 0.07067 of a Terabyte, so to me it's still a no brainer.

Before Flickr I started off with Photobucket, but couldn't stand how slow the site was and that was before they started incorporating advertising.

I could never understand why anyone would use them.

This is also causing a huge stink over on Fighter Control as well.

There's two other really good sites that are as good as Flickr, and some friends I know would say work better and they are:

Ipernity.com

500px.com

For what it's worth I would jump the bucketship now before it gets worse.

Best of luck everyone affected.

Martin

• Like 1

This is an image I have on Facebook.     I right clicked on the image, followed by "Copy Link Location"     I then inserted it here.    To enlarge, click on the image and then, if you are not a member of Facebook, click on "Not Now," and on the image again, and it  will enlarge.

Bob

Edited by ShipbuilderMN
Added a bit

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Regarding the issue of time limits for editing past posts, I've edited my first RFI to replace the picture links. It was from May 2015 and I managed to do it. 

Cheers

Jaime 

Similar story here, I've just gone in and edited one of my first posts from 2009, by reloading the images, and that worked fine.

Mike

• Like 1

Hello,Friends - Just when I've got reasonably competent in using Photobucket for posting my images I find I have also been hit by their Upgrade Notice.

I only use iPad and now need to learn how to use Flickr perhaps as an alternative.

Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

As far as my topic photos are concerned,I have retained most in the iPad but there is a good amount on PB that I don't think I'll be able to retrieve.Fortunately,I still have all the models!

As for a BM 'In House' system,I'd be more than happy to pay my dues to support this Forum rather than PB,for example.

All the best,Paul.

• Like 3

Just discovered this today when revisiting one of my old posts (trying to find what paint mix I had used). I made the move to Flickr this year which seems to work fine for me. Just wondering whether it's worth the time and trouble to migrate all my old images across and editing the old posts. Needless to say I will be cancelling my PB account.

I discovered it on Thursday. First thought it was a temporary problem but then recognized that other user´s pics had disappeared, too. Had Photobucket only because of this forum and not used more than 14% of free space. I´m quite disappointed as I invested a lot of time into my posts and not sure what to do now. Moving the pice to another photo host provider would mean a lot of work and perhaps they would chance their terms of trade as quickly in a couple of months. Nevertheless I find thie Photobucket policy rather unfair.

Mario

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Possibly, although they'll still have to police those that are daft enough to pay $399 a year for the privilege.

I've just found a link to a "Support" request, so I'd suggest you all use it to express your displeasure:

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Make 'em suffer from overload at the very worst :shrug:

I've just sent off a missive to photobollock to let them know how I feel & how this has dislocated so many peoples enjoyment, world wide there are literally thousands of forums affected as we are, though they probably don't give a damn. I've gone to Flickr & thus far have edited the photos in my Gallery post.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
additional info.

14 hours ago, Mike said:

...I've just found a link to a "Support" request, so I'd suggest you all use it to express your displeasure:

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Make 'em suffer from overload at the very worst :shrug:

I would do so but I'm not at all good at composing such missives

Perhaps if some kind person would PM what they wrote, I could make a few changes maybe and send it on [?]

17 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I would do so but I'm not at all good at composing such missives

Perhaps if some kind person would PM what they wrote, I could make a few changes maybe and send it on [?]

Here's the complain I've just sent them:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I've been using Photobucket for two years to store pictures I use to post in a Hobby forum. I'd like to express my outrage about your single-sided decision to alter the Terms of Usage regarding 3rd party hosting and imposing a completely excessive fee to allow 3rd party hosting of pictures. This change of terms occurred without due warning and the demanded fee is completely out of proportion. I understand that such usage could be paid and, when the 3rd party hosting is used for commercial purposes, an adequate fee would be proportionate. However, you should take notice that huge numbers of your users just do 3rd party hosting for hobby and personal purposes. In such cases, the fees you are now demanding are absolutely absurd. There are now many thousands of people that have been affected by your one-sided decision. I will be soon canceling my account, just like many of the affected people worldwide, who are moving to other storage solutions which are free to use or request reasonable fees.

Kind regards

feel free to use it (you and any other BMer, of course). I think it'll be useless but at least they should get swamped with complains.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mario said:

I discovered it on Thursday. First thought it was a temporary problem but then recognized that other user´s pics had disappeared, too. Had Photobucket only because of this forum and not used more than 14% of free space. I´m quite disappointed as I invested a lot of time into my posts and not sure what to do now. Moving the pice to another photo host provider would mean a lot of work and perhaps they would chance their terms of trade as quickly in a couple of months. Nevertheless I find thie Photobucket policy rather unfair.

Mario

Hello,Mario - We're both in the same boat,My Friend.I think I'd used about the same amount of space too.I totally agree with your thoughts.

As always,

Paul.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Here's the complain I've just sent them:

feel free to use it (you and any other BMer, of course). I think it'll be useless but at least they should get swamped with complains.

Thanks ever so much. Much appreciated. Very well written

I just made a few changes to reflect it about me. Sent it just a minute ago

• Like 1

For those who still have open PB accounts, it might be an idea to make a list of the companies who advertise on PB, and make a round robin email to their marketing accounts manager informing them PB have just shafted and lost a large number of customers, and perhaps they should consider re-negotiating their terms and fees with PB. Hit them in the pocket.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

For those who still have open PB accounts, it might be an idea to make a list of the companies who advertise on PB, and make a round robin email to their marketing accounts manager informing them PB have just shafted and lost a large number of customers, and perhaps they should consider re-negotiating their terms and fees with PB. Hit them in the pocket.

That is a brilliant idea. Also for someone to organise it and INFORM PB of the fact.

Who is going to organise all of that ?  :drunk:

41 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

That is a brilliant idea. Also for someone to organise it and INFORM PB of the fact.

Who is going to organise all of that ?  :drunk:

Nicely volunteered there Laurie!!  :worthy:

• Like 1

Complaint sent. I normally refrain from abusive language, but as no one will read my complaint anyway, I sent an uncensored version of what I think (if only to make me feel better!!!!!)

I've start to move FRI photo's over to Flickr (I keep back ups on a hard drive), but it will take far too long to move WIP's across, so unfortunately they are lost. 

• Like 1

Like many on here I have been dealt a huge blow by PB :analintruder:

I have read on here and other sites of possible options eg

Other image posting sites. Call me a cynic by I think PB may be the first of many.

Facebook, seems limited in how you can present / store your pics

Own page on Facebook or own blog.

This would seem to be the death knoll for social  forums like BM

"Social"  for me is the key. It's great to be able to portray your latest offering but the best part is the interaction with others.

I feel our hobby is worth fighting for but I have little technical knowledge of how the internet/computers work.

So looking for positives can I ask a couple of questions?

Mike is it possible for BM to hold the pics displayed on this site? I appreciate that this could not be done for free but I would rather pay you than those bandits..................

Is it possible for each of us to open our own website to store pics to link to sites.

https://www.1and1.co.uk/web-hosting

On here for £6 a month I can store 100GB

Probably talking through my a**e but I feel we need to start being positive and looking for ways to look after ourselves

I would welcome any comments

Kev

• Like 1

I noticed this first on the other main site I post on - 72nd scale aircraft. After hearing from others there and here, I've moved to postimage. It is quite a bit of work reloading and linking photos.

The other difficulty is remembering which pictures I originally posted if I didn't individually caption each (I usually have more pictures than I actually post of each topic) however it does mean the posts may have a different set of pictures to look back on! B)

I've started redoing all the pictures progressively. Fortunately I never rely on online storage as a main location. I usually have the masters backed up on an external hard drive and dvd's. External Hard Drives do crash as well.

Hope the other hosting sites don't go the same way. I wonder how they do make money without ads.

Edited by Michael louey