Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

I noticed that when others got this hit I didn't as I hadn't used my PB account for about a week Then, last night I uploaded about 20 photos and put them on the model forums. Within 10 minutes of doing the last one I got the hit and photos tuned to a ransom demand

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ah right... thanks for the clarification.  I haven't looked at the details due to my own lack of reliance on their service. :hmmm:  I wonder how long before that pic goes away?  What's the allowance BTW?

I don't know unfortunately (closed my PB account and won't go back). But it's small, whatever it is.

Edited by Avgas

It does seem stupid and I have just checked that my old stuff is still viable

Seems to be so far, Mike if they lose pictures you have my public permission to ditch any pictureless threads in future

Maybe an opprtunity for a Ced genius to get a  'grab a thread' app up and running which we could use to archive our stuff

could be a chance to make a 'buildthread lite' for storage purposes

On due consideration misspellings might be a sign of a hi-jack after all

A few days to recheck is in order methinks

Might be as well to see how it plays out before making any sudden actions.  There are a lot of people producing official documentation, adverts and signage that can't spell these days, so it could quite easily bee geenuwine. :)

• Like 2

on thoughts about this; h'acctually what PB has done is illegal. They have changed the terms and conditions without prior fair notice. It doesn't matter a wit if the service user uses the facility for free

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

on thoughts about this; h'acctually what PB has done is illegal. They have changed the terms and conditions without prior fair notice. It doesn't matter a wit if the service user uses the facility for free

Quite agree with you - it was not against their terms to link to 3rd party pages before - why should they provide th ecopy link function if it would be against their terms? Should be simple to remove this function for those with a free PB account if they wanted to.

I can imagine they will have to row back but whatever they will do - I moved on to flicker this morning.

I had that email this morning and just deleted it.  I then went into PB the normal way I do and logged in to find that everything was still normal.  Could it be a cyberware scam?

Test paste from PB

DSCF30791_zpscsyy0msj.jpg

EDIT:  obviously not a scam but genuine email; as this replaced image confirms.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I had that email this morning and just deleted it.  I then went into PB the normal way I do and logged in to find that everything was still normal.  Could it be a cyberware scam?

Test paste from PB

DSCF30791_zpscsyy0msj.jpg

eeeermmm, probably not.

I think that if it was a scam that PB would be falling over themselves to reassure customers. 

7 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

Is it possible to post pics to Britmodeller via another host,and if so,can anyone recommend one? (Flickr mentioned above,not had any dealings with them.)

I've spread my photos across several hosts mainly Flickr, Postimage and Img Safe all of which work fine on Britmodeller.  Somebody who has thousands of photos might find multiple hosts a bit of a pain but I don't post vast amounts and I always keep a note of what is where as well as keeping the original photos on my (backed up) hard drive rather than a Cloud somewhere. 

..quick suggestion - start a 'google' blog - ...blogspot.co.uk. Free, loads of space. Upload your images to create a 'post', all the HTML is done for you but you can edit too (if you know what you're doing) From the HTML screen in your blog take the image code ('src' ) and post it into the 'insert other media' box when posting here. Free hosting. Put your blog links in your signature here too. And write stuff if you've a mind to. Or not. Simples.

• Like 2

Just thought I'd try Village Photos out for size. Seemed to be going swimmingly to begin with, but it refuses to save any re-ordering of photos within an album, which is very annoying when things do need to be in sequence. I tried uploading things singly, in reverse order, but VP ordered them randomly in the folder. That's rubbish.

I'll persevere a little longer, but if it doesn't work I'll ditch that and try somewhere else. Any other recommendations (apart from Flickr, which IMO is at least as annoying as Photobucket)?

Actually, after further effort, I think that Village Photos just isn't very good at all. I gave it a go, it wouldn't work properly, so the search for a simple, reliable image host continues.

Edited by lasermonkey

There is of course the possibility that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) gives you some hosting space in with your package.  It used to be the thing, but seems to have tailed off a bit of late.  You'll have to check your contract with your ISP to see whether this applies to you, but if it does, you've got a chunk of the web that you control and will only go offline if you decamp to another ISP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Test paste from PB

Well, the pictures are still there, and I guess you could see them as well, if I posted the link of the folder itself. BUT - they just don't allow hotlinking anymore. You just have to take the detour via their website. Honestly, I don't want to edit all my galeries/WIP on all sites I posted my pics. Guess if you need a good definition of a shot in the foot - here you go!

Alex

Image Shack went that way a while back, and started to charge, so I just left.    I then went to Postimage, and have never had any problem with them.   At one stage, they did say they were a bit "hard up" and asked for small donations, but the crisis soon passed, and they remain free.  

Bob

1 hour ago, Chimpion said:

By offering 3rd party hosting they're making themselves potentially liable. Germany may be just the first of many.

Possibly, although they'll still have to police those that are daft enough to pay $399 a year for the privilege.

I've just found a link to a "Support" request, so I'd suggest you all use it to express your displeasure:

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Make 'em suffer from overload at the very worst :shrug:

• Like 3

PB I believe that they are having overload on their gear with so many 3rd party hosting uses using their facilities

free of charge. So the free days are over.

The same will happen to the other especially as all the PB are going to migrate to other photo hosts causing over load.

Read a lot about PB but not had problems myself. I did subscribe a couple of months back for a large cache and also

advert free. As I took this out which is a contract under the then rules I do believe they have to continue until the end

of the subscription time. I bet after that they will ask for the £300 per year which gives 3rd party hosting included.

That works out at about £5:60 per week. For the pleasure you get and the help from photos of builds etc it does seem to

me a relatively small price to pay for part of the enjoyment of model making plus sharing it with others.

Perhaps bitter to some to shell out to PB. But we have all been living free. Surprise it has stopped. The only alternative it

seems to me is to pay BM to do an in house hosting. But you will have to pay.

Between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

This is just an experiment to see if it works.

I have an Office 360 subscription, which includes 1 TByte of cloud space in OneDrive. I've just uploaded a picture of some recent modelling work. Then right-clicked on it in OneDrive and chose the "Embed" option. This produces an HTML string for direct access to the picture. The string was copied and here I chose "Insert other media", on the lower right hand corner of the editor, then "Insert image from URL" and pasted the HTML string to the dialogue window.

Voilà!
y4meVw0zAy8FQzD_lMKJp7v1-pt5HOwEQIlaspPX

This could work with other storage services, possibly.

If any of you is unable to see the picture, please let me know.

I'm now considering moving my pictures to One Drive and slowly update the links in my previous posts.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 8