The Phrase "Staff Continuation Training" Covers a Multitude of Sins:

Richard E

I have some memories of something similar being done by a USN officer based in the Mediterranean, who had the habit of taking whatever aircraft he could lay his hands on for his own private trips, including a combat type on which he was certified. And to be sure he was in good company, he also got his girlfriend on board even if she was a civilian...

It was always the done thing in the past with many air forces almost encouraging it. It's not clear from the story if he broke the rules or it's just wasting taxpayers money. 

A story from the fifties. ...... I think this was when my father was stationed in Germany and the airfield had two Anson "hacks". The CO decided he was going somewhere to play golf and had an Anson pulled out and prepared for his little trip. Out he came with his golf bag and promptly threw it into the entrance door and straight through the fabric on the other side! Consequently,  the order was given to prepare the other Anson and off he went. Dad being an aircraft finisher ended up with the repair job. Fabric work was part of the job in those days. 

• Like 2

This aĺl sounds out of proportion to me.....its a perk its not like its never been done before.Im impressed that a senior officer is still qualified....wouldnt happen here😐Not that small helicopters havent been used.

I remember when there were regular spare seats on jetstreams to prestwick....before that (and my time) there was the Heron clipper that used to do a round trip of all the air stations.....we had more than two.

Alpha jet is a very simple aircraft as well take anything else and it might go u/s with a three week lead time for spares....bit embarrassing 😳

This thread has brought to mind a RN frigate visiting Nelson in the midish 70s. We had a small club ski field about an 1 1/2 drive south of here & then an hour plus hike to said ski field, we were keen back then. Whilst hiking up the hill through bush, I heard the sound of a chopper overhead, not one I knew, we used helicopter lifts to fly in bulk stores every year so I was familiar with the local jobs. Upon arriving at the basin the ski field was in, we were greeted with the sight of a RN Wasp sitting in the snow, the frigate skipper apparently a keen skier. I roundly cursed not having a camera with me that day & many days since, there was a framed photo of the Wasp on the wall of the ski lodge for many years after. No doubt it was all put down to mountain flying familiarisation. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

When I was a motorcycle courier for a City firm I was allowed to take the bike away for weekends to visit my parents on the South coast. I guess this isn't quite in the French general's league. :think:

• Like 1

Way back when I was on the Puma OCU a crew took one

off to Devon on a 'NAVEX'. One of the crew was co-incidentally

looking at buying some property down there. (Allegedly).

No doubt other, similar, flights took place.

In Saudi, One of the officers used to go off in a

Cessna for hours at a time.

Flight duration on the Cessna wasn't that long.

It just so happens he had a farm 'somewhere out there'.

It happens. It's not getting caught doing it that matters.

How many people have used the company car/van for private trips?