Airfix Blohm & Voss BV141 1/72

I picked up a random model to make and once you really look at it it's a funny old thing... makes me wonder why the person who designed it did so like that... it's also a shame that none exist today.

The main fuselage and wings need no internal parts, although a little painting can be done around the wheel section i chose to do this after assembly.

The first problem is the sprue attached to the fuselage is quiet thick and was hard to get off... when i finally did so it caused a little damage... thankfully i bought some filler today.

Dry fitted they went well together, although one middle section of fuselage was bowed but when glued and taped this isn't a problem.

Once glued the wings were test fitted to the body... with a little sanding to the tabs on the wings they should fit nice and snug.

2iln7sn.jpg

2i1ias3.jpg

4hci1f.jpg

n1f7uc.jpg

Edited by Hobby Paul
  • Like 9

I'm here too :)!

One of my favourite childhood kits. This and the FW-189 used to go really well together.

A little micro-saw blade set is useful for those big sprue attachment points Paul. They're not too expensive; I use ones that fit in a normal number one knife handle.

Really good for gently sawing off fragile undercarriage and aerial parts too.

These are good:

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=358

Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This and the FW-189 used to go really well together.

A little micro-saw blade set is useful

I'm Pretty certain the FW-189 will now be my next build now... thanks.

I suppose i could of used a fret saw... i do have one with a fine blade... if i had only thought.

• Like 3

I recently rediscovered a box of old kits in the attic.

All built over forty years ago. One of them is a Bv141.

The build is long since gone from the memory, so it will

be interesting to watch your build.

• Like 2

Today was a day for glueing up and painting a few small parts.

Fitment of the left wing to fuselage was fine... but the middle section of wing to fuselage had an issue with the size of the tab, once trimmed the fitting is a little loose but it all lines up fine.

wl62o0.jpg

Middle section of wing to left side of cockpit doesn't line up... again a little trimming of the tab is all that's needed.

dw6lw9.jpg

Same story with the right side of cockpit to right wing

2i8dq8w.jpg

And this is all that you get for the cockpit.

1j2szc.jpg

Edited by Hobby Paul
  • Like 5

It's going together well Paul :thumbsup2: 

I quite like the look of the crew members; will you be putting them inside?

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It's going together well Paul :thumbsup2: 

I quite like the look of the crew members; will you be putting them inside?

Best regards 

TonyT

Yes i will be... they are painted and drying as i write this.

Hopefully more work and more pics tomorrow evening.

• Like 1

I got a micro saw off ebay from  China

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-Hobby-Razor-Saw-Kit-DIY-Handy-Multifunction-Craft-Blade-Model-Tools/301842078460

seems reasonable enough for the price.  Got here in a couple of weeks.

The cockpit looks really bare,  if you fancy doing some detailing, I really recommend an assorted pack of Slaters Microstrip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-1001-Assorted-Microstrip-50-Lengths-NEW-/132221105080

as it's hard to cut plastic card accurately like this, and this will last ages.  

They also do a Rod assortment,  but if on a budget, get

Evergreen #217, Rod/tube assortment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evergreen-Styrene-217-Rod-Tube-Assorted-7-Pk-7-14-in-Long-/262872738328

The Microstrip usually has this as well.  No connection to any of  the sellers,  just for reference.  If  you have a good model shop they may well stock these.

Note, both Slaters and Evergreen do lots of plastic products, but the above are the only mixed packs, and really are incredibly useful if you want  to do  some scratch detailing.

HTH

T

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The cockpit looks really bare, if you fancy doing some detailing,

I wasn't planning too... not with this model at least.

My aim is to build a really good Lancaster bomber but i haven't done models for some time so this and a few others i shall be building beforehand are for practice in building, fixing issues, painting and wethering.

The cockpit is really lacking so as i put it together... depending on how much you see i may change my mind.

• Like 1

I too built this as a kid, so will be following along. As someone else mentioned, the cockpit is almost identical to the FW 189, they look great together!

Ian

• Like 2

Richard Franks' book on the type is a great one stop reference. Strangely, as a young Martian I loved this kit but the Fw189 left me cold.

Martian

• Like 2

I had a search for 'BV-141' cockpit

Turned up this upgrade of the Airfix kit

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/airfix-1-72-scale-blohm-voss-bv-141.32704/page-4

looks like the builder used the basic Airfix and added some bits, eg

100_2222.jpg

5 hours ago, Hobby Paul said:

And this is all that you get for the cockpit.

1j2szc.jpg

the build I showed above is a lot of work,  but you can achieve a lot  of the effect with surprisingly little, 

some add some straps, some stringers and boxes etc,  some creative painting  (look closely at the posted pic and the ones in the link) and you'd be  surprised how good it will look through the kit glazing,  which is well worth seeing what you can see,  try putting the canopy over a detailed photo and see how much can be seen is a good tip!

Sorry if this sounds bossy, more a bit of encouragement,  I'm  not trying to send you  down OCD tunnel,  but even a few additions will really fill out the cockpit.

Feel free to ignore as well!

cheers

T

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hobby Paul said:

I wasn't planning too... not with this model at least.

My aim is to build a really good Lancaster bomber but i haven't done models for some time so this and a few others i shall be building beforehand are for practice in building, fixing issues, painting and wethering.

The cockpit is really lacking so as i put it together... depending on how much you see i may change my mind.

This is a great kit for getting back into the hobby.

As I remember, it goes together pretty well; you've already sorted out the wing fit nicely. I think the glazing is good too, a better fit than some bang up to date kits.

Looking forward to the crew members. Chocks away :pilot: !

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Another something worth finding if you can is the engine fan from a Fw 190 A series, it is a relatively simple addition to the kit's construction but to my eye really does make a big improvement to its appearance. The build that Troy has shown above has one behind the prop. Carry on. :)

Steve.                          

• Like 2

As I said in another thread of yours, I too have fond memories of the BV 141 from childhood.  It is still an excellent demonstration that in design 'balance' need not necessarily mean 'symmetry'!

Following nostalgically,

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I got a micro saw off ebay from  China

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-Hobby-Razor-Saw-Kit-DIY-Handy-Multifunction-Craft-Blade-Model-Tools/301842078460

seems reasonable enough for the price.  Got here in a couple of weeks.

The cockpit looks really bare,  if you fancy doing some detailing, I really recommend an assorted pack of Slaters Microstrip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-1001-Assorted-Microstrip-50-Lengths-NEW-/132221105080

as it's hard to cut plastic card accurately like this, and this will last ages.  

They also do a Rod assortment,  but if on a budget, get

Evergreen #217, Rod/tube assortment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evergreen-Styrene-217-Rod-Tube-Assorted-7-Pk-7-14-in-Long-/262872738328

Stop doing that Troy, you are putting temptation in my way. I'm supposed to be going cold turkey with evilbay.

Interesting how things you didn't know existed, suddenly become essentials.

This was one of my favourite models when I was a kid. I painted the canopy framing on so heavily, you couldn't see the lack of detail inside.

I think it must have been the 141 that started my interest in odd aircraft.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Another something worth finding if you can is the engine fan from a Fw 190 A series, it is a relatively simple addition to the kit's construction but to my eye really does make a big improvement to its appearance.

Mine is in an immense pile of partly-built models but I recall that, in addition to adding a fan (Aeroclub used to do a very nice one) I was going to explore using a spare Italeri BMW 801 cowling from an Italeri Ju 188 (which comes with alternative Jumo engines).  Has the side bulges.  Don't think I came across any show-stoppers.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

100_2222.jpg

Those few details really do make a big difference.

I haven't had a look at the canopy just yet but if it can be fitted after assembly then i'll look at copying the detail in the photo.

Thanks

• Like 1

Just a few little bits done today.

First thing to be done was to paint the interior of the fuselage... while doing that i decided to paint inside the wheel bays.

And this is where i had two problems which hopefully i can overcome...

1- when spraying, even though i masked up, i still managed to get over spray everywhere... so need to be more careful or practice a lot more.

2- i'm a messy person... as you can see from the paint smudge marks.... need to wear gloves when handling paints or be more careful.

2jbo4yp.jpg

After that i then started on the finer details of the cockpit.... and i had yet more problems... trying to paint things so small my hands shake like i'm a nervous wreck so i painted them, smudged a little then repainted and repeated this a few times.

Also i need a much finer brush than what i have and thinning down just a touch probably would of helped.

Please excuse the photo... i don't have a macro lens for closer shots.

208crxf.jpg

sxgcas.jpg

iolzl3.jpg

2wr3kid.jpg

Tomorrows work will be to start assembly of the fuselage to wings.

Edited by Hobby Paul
Forgot to add photos
  • Like 2

Looking forward to seeing this .

I have mine in the cabinet of glory in overall RLM02.

It is one of the most interesting and unusual aircraft of all time which is why we all probably have fun and make one!

Edited by Winenut
spelling