1/48 Arii P-40E Kittyhawk - "a desert relic"

ok, so i've finally assembled the body, and reproduced some more damage, it is now almost ready for paint. i've also started the making of the display base, this is just the first step, i'm planning to drop glue over it and pour "sand" over the base to give the right texture.  For the base i made a layer of modelling clay, pressed it down with some sand paper to give it a bit of a texture and than rolled a marble in an irregular way over it to produce the typical little sand dunes. 

W93lhm4.jpg

here is with a low light to show the effect in a more dramatic way

RZWovu9.jpg

qRv0K7A.jpg

article-0-15A80583000005DC-841_964x716.j

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 9

You're doing a great job on this. Its a story that moved me greatly & I regret that it is still without a decent resolution. Your dio is a fine tribute to Flt Sgt Copping & his sad demise.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

took the job back in my hand. I started to give a first hand of paint. i'm also experimenting and trying to use metal instead of plasticard for the control surfaces, i think with a bit of patience i can come up with something better than what i've already done.  I think a wash will look particularly good on this one, lot of rivets and panel details to highlight.

N6PgEPh.jpg

GnwkmcR.jpg

CZce8Ts.jpg

uEICX0f.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 11

so here you are, vertical stabilizer made with plasticard vs vertical stabilizer made with metal sheet vs the original stabilizer.  Wich one do you prefer?

plasticard

OU3GLbz.jpg

metal

SbWdxjW.jpg

original

I49Nb0r.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 5

don't know if this may come handy to someone, another tip: as a source for metal sheets i'm using Mayonnaise tube. I like Mayonnaise so i get the double good that one one side i eat a lot of it and on the other side when i empty a tube i can cut it, clean it and have another supply of metal. 

by the way a tube on my compressor just popped open, so i think i'm gonna make all the surface controls using metal while i find a way to get a spare part and fix it. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

a couple of more pictures. at the moment the airbrush is still down so i have to work on minor details

so this is more or less the idea of the final composition ( of course still without sand ). the rocks are still a placeholder, i'm looking to find some better rock, possibly real rocks, that resemble the ones in the picture

d4XmT5e.jpg

40jBcSN.jpg

looking at some details, the new metal tail with both surfaces done. not bad but probably i should have used a more rigid ( more thick ) metal, not excluding a version 3 may come in the future:

VXCxsBB.jpg

added the rusted panels near the exausts, this is still the acrilic base, i'm planning to make it darker and rustier with oils and pigments. added also a little panel on the wing root, the rearview mirror and cleaned the guns from the paint.  The front windscreen has already a first layer of sand/dirt, the cage and the rear windows still lack it. 

ZwMphub.jpg

a couple of parts, this is the radio

DVKxwH6.jpg

a wing panel and a part of the engine

ao4GCRi.jpg

these were the references

77gMCWb.jpg

fIJTylL.jpg

qFGXHJE.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 8

minor update: i had some spare figures from a tamiya zero model i've done, so i decided to customize them in order to represent three people examining the relic. 

these are the figurines before and after the customization ( i have applied just a first layer of color ). I've cut them apart and used green stuff to change their pose. 

gApwwIF.jpg

this is how they'll look in the scene

SXGoxkN.jpg

pTsjnMm.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 7

i've just realized this could be the perfect occasion to do my first experiment with custom photoetched parts. i just need to figure out the right process and put my hands on the proper materials and i think i could exponentially enhance the result for the tail and the alerons. i've already have an UV lamp and i know how to use CAD. I'll need to pick some PCB tablets and the chemicals and see if i can work it out. since i'm there i'll probably do a custom cockpit cage too since the original one is too thick

here's the drawing i've done for the tail, definitely photoetched parts would improve the final outcome.

now i have to find a way to print it without losing the required detail 

VqYnaUU.png

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I'm back to work. I've redone the base, this time using Extruded polystyrene. i've used a metal ball to obtain a sand texture and glued rocks over it. Now i need to apply different layers of sands. For the sand i've used "gecko desert sand" that i've found in a pet shop and that looks very good for the project, very fine grain and a good color.

EmTsJsW.jpg

cQFn3Sr.jpg

jDYtVck.jpg

DJ8R7R8.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 7

It is sad and somewhat ironic that it would be all too easy to depict this plane in its current state with a hastily assembled kit and not venturing beyond gloss colours over 30 in the Humbrol paint chart. 😞

Keep up the good work on the diorama though.

7 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

It is sad and somewhat ironic that it would be all too easy to depict this plane in its current state with a hastily assembled kit and not venturing beyond gloss colours over 30 in the Humbrol paint chart. 😞

Keep up the good work on the diorama though.

Definitely sad what happened to her.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

i'm starting to add some detail gluing them to the base end blending them with more sand while i wait to finish the plane itself. once the sand layer is done i've retraced the sand dunes. in the end this is the effect shown in a lowlight

Z0zXIYK.jpg

i've added some debris, expecially under the nose. I've added soem gears, the parachute and some panels around and started to blend them in with the sand.

GD25kIH.jpg

i feel the sand grain is a bit too big but that's the smallest i've been able to find. I could have used pigments for that but it would have cost a fortune. i'm thinking if i should try to use a mortar to crush it and than filter it and see if i can produce thinner sand and then add another layer over this one. overall this doesn't look that bad in the wide view, but if i shoot some closeup the grains pop up completely out of scale

xcWdQyu.jpg

in the end i've got a bag of 5 kg of that sand, i think i've enough to make experiments, i just don't know what can i use to filter it, maybe some old collant or something. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 3

i'm starting to blend in the plane adding details like tail and wing panels and debris and adding sand over its wing, now is darker cause its wet, soaked in water and glue, but it will dry over time. 

eFVG8LD.jpg

this following is just an experiment fun adding some background to a picture of the model in its current state just to see how it looks

CWp4OYv.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 6

The sand blasted metal is superb!  

I used to just go out and find dusty dirt from the driveway and sift it.  Maybe it wouldn't be red enough but perhaps a little lighter sand lightly dispersed might give it a more natural look?

• 3 months later...

decided i didn't like the rocks, i'm in the middle of replacing the with polystyrene ones that i'm making myself. It's so odd that fake rocks may end up looking more real than actual real rocks 

G8JkvFx.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 3

The progress on this is great. Love seeing the learning curve happening. Just a shame what happened to the real plane. Yours may end up being the best 3D representation of it as it should have stayed.

47B98CB200000578-5231593-image-m-5_15149

Edited by Thom216