Double Fulcrum Build

Muzz

Seems lime a long time ago that signed up for this GB, I had concerns as I'd already signed up for the Flanker GB later in the year and I don't usually manage too many builds in a year. Well somehow this is my third GB of 2017 with one completed and one ongoing, not quite sure how that happened.

To add to this I've decided to make this a double build as I have the GWH 9.13 kit and Academy 9.12 kit in the stash, if I don't build the academy kit now it'll end up not getting built. The idea is to do it wheels up to simplifie the build and speed things up. It will be in the Polish Heroes special markings. I intend building the GWH 9.13 kit as a well worn and faded Ukrainian AF.

The GWH kit, built OOB other than the decals.

20170626_142234_edit_1498493520133.jpg

20170626_142317_edit_1498496461944.jpg

• Like 4

The Academy kit with a few extras, Aires cockpit, Quickboost radome, OK Productions Pilot, Eduard PE, Polish Fulcrum update set and Model Maker decals.

20170626_142501_edit_1498499139766.jpg

20170626_142551_edit_1498498752651.jpg

20170626_142635_edit_1498498652635.jpg

• Like 3

Nice choices mate. Look forward to seeing the 9-13 as i've been thinking about one of those myself! Also planning a Polish machine too, marked up for the Baltic Air Policing.

Dave

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Muzz, you are a sucker for punishment, and a double build as well!! :D

I like you choices as well, are you going for a Ukraine one in the Digital scheme?? I was very tempted by that one, if I hadn't been doing the Slovak one......

Both these model I suspect will be quite popular in this GB. Plus you have some nice AM stuff as well, good man! :thumbsup:

Well good luck with the builds, am looking forward to following both of them.

• Like 2

I prefer the second one, but both are lush..if I was flying one though, I'd want to be in the second one...plus the super weathered one looks tricky to recreate...

• Like 1

Mmmmmm, I'm in a real quandary (not for the first time!) I have the correct decals to do the second scheme, although the bort number is blue 33, but if I did the first scheme I'd have to use a different bort number from the selection I have. So it wouldn't be based on a real aircraft which upsets my OCD!

As usual I tend to get drawn to different schemes by lots of little details and quirks on individual airframes. With the Ukrainian Migs I prefer the weathered ones as I find some of the blues too bright, I like the white dielectric panels and probably prefer the white radomes too. But on the first scheme I like how it has a grey radome and white panels! I also prefer the blue bort number outlined in white or the white outlined in blue. I hope others have these dilemmas?!😝

• Like 4

well judging by that photo of all those Ukraine MiG-29s on the flight line I don't think it really matters at all!! The variations in colours is incredible along with similar variations in camouflage patterns. I'd be inclined to find a Mr Hobby or Tamiya colour which is a really close match and use that, with some additional careful weathering you'd never know the difference!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally made a start on these two builds. The Aires resin cockpit for the Academy kit and the GWH plastic. 

I've removed plastic ready to fit the resin tub.

20170806_115421.jpg

20170806_115428.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/29/2017 at 2:41 PM, Muzz said:

Does anyone happen to know the Akan paint numbers for the grey and pale blue in the common Ukraine scheme?

Found this which very handy but no mention of the actual colours.

http://www.mig.mariwoj.pl/mig-29-ua.htm

Hi muzz, was looking through the posts and I thought I had replied to this one. Here's the paint numbers I used for these Ukrainian ac. I still don't have the dedicated Ukrainian set but thought these looked to be a good match too though.

IMG_1864

• Like 1

An unconventional build process with the Academy Fulcrum but I thought it may help with the join between the main fuselage and front cockpit section. Mostly just enjoying sticking bits of plastic together!

20170815_120321.jpg

20170815_120300.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

coming along nicely, I did the same and I think it's the way to going, but fit wise it's all down hill from here! It's the lower section under the cockpit area you need to be very careful with, it tends to sag inwards along with the forward section of the lower main fuselage!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally an update, I was concentrating on finishing my Fitter build and struggling to find time for any modelling but managed a mammoth session yesterday! 

The Academy build is more advanced, resin cockpit fitted.

20170906_163440.jpg

Gear doors fitted in closed position, not as bad a fit as I thought it would be.

20170906_163502.jpg

Intakes are really trying my patience, spent quite a bit of time getting a reasonably seamless finish only to realise there is no upper section it's just a big gap!

20170907_181507.jpg

The pilot figure waiting to be painted, my first one!

20170907_181408.jpg

• Like 1

The GWH kit, cockpit also fitted, still need to finish painting the avionics behind the cockpit.

20170906_223002.jpg

20170907_181749.jpg

I've built a GWH 9-12 kit before and found it well together quite Well, mainly I think as I left the engines out. I'm planning on doing this again but also decided to try assembling the engine/intake trunking before joining to the lower fuselage, initial testing shows good results!

20170906_223018.jpg

• Like 1