1957 Airfix Mosquito FB VI kit

The old 1957 Airfix series 2 1/72 scale Mosquito FBVI, as far as Mosquito kits go I think this is the origin of the species.

Probably one of the most inaccurate kits ever produced by Airfix, having said that this kit still has a lot of appeal to me. The thing I like about this kit is that it looks like a piece of trench art, it's shape is like what you might see in an amateur wartime sketch or in a Commando comic book. This kit also holds great nostalgic value, I built two back in my childhood and I can remember most of my friends back then having built one also.

Compared to today's kits and even the current early seventies Airfix Mosquito this kit is very clearly a load of rubbish. The shape of it is all wrong, just look at the canopy, guns, nose, the list goes on, the parts fit together terribly and it has moped wheels and rockets without warheads. The instructions even on later 1980's releases of the kit still quote sky as the underside colour, out of nostalgia I was actually going to paint the undersides sky but the fuselage code letters would not have showed against it. 

35504946125_0706a151ca_k.jpg

The 1960's and 70's box art, note the artist has the undersides painted in sky.

35374379151_047879d814_k.jpg

The later very dry 1980's box art, the model maker here has taken it upon himself to contradict the painting instructions and paint the undersides grey.

35504983205_d677f82495_k.jpg

The parts, in particular I bring your attention to the wheels. I wanted a nostalgia build but felt fitting these stupid wheels would be going a bit to far, so built it wheels up mounted on the stand. 

35494186536_cae4a4ffc8_k.jpg

It looks like this Mosquito has Hispano canons instead of Browning 303s. 

35533385855_5547f63be4_k.jpg

The model has a very unique flying boat nose.

34724029783_75b29aab82_k.jpg.

I miss the old Airfix stands.

35366208232_7d3ae4909d_k.jpg

35494179886_bae08e727d_k.jpg

After 60 years it stills looks like it means business.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 17

Gosh, a blast from the past.  I'd built this too as a young lad, one of the first I painted, the underside was a mix, copied from the box art and came out a strange green if I remember correctly.  But I thought it looked great at the time.

Another aircraft that Airfix really ought to re-tool.........  It would sell like hot cakes.

Edited by FatFlyHalf
Spellinge
  • Like 1

Hello,Old Thumper - Well,My Friend, you've worked your usual wonders with this great looking 'Wooden Wonder'!😀

Your speciality is bringing the best out in these nostalgic and classic kits and this splendid 'Mosquito' is no exception.Beautifully finished in your hallmark style,I also love her flying pose and use of the Airfix stand.A delight to view.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1