SPAD XIII: Italeri VS Eduard 1:72, which is better?

Jack109

Hi everyone

I did a bit of research on the topic and I would like your opinion on which of these 2 kits is better.

The price range is the same so I would not worry to much on this.

The elements I found are: Eduard is the profipack recent new tool, while the italeri is a 1968 kit, 2005 edition (1:72).

Italeri has 5 options in decal, which is good.

My question is: have you experienced one of these 2 kits? how do you think they compare for details?

I assume the profipack has more cockpit fun added to it... but I need to know if I have to buy 2 kits, one for the decal and another for the tool.. (i will not buy separate delcal sheet)

Thanks!

Edited by Jack109

The Italeri kit is an appaling bit of rubbish, sold under many other labels since the sixties before they got it. Even when first produced, it was never any good. The Eduard kit is state of the art limited run, and accurate. It has several decal options.

Paul.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Paul Thompson said:

The Italeri kit is an appaling bit of rubbish, sold under many other labels since the sixties before they got it. Even when first produced, it was never any good. The Eduard kit is state of the art limited run, and accurate. It has several decal options.

Paul.

I agree with Paul's comments; IIRC, the Italeri Spad XIII is a rebox of the Esci kit, which I think was originally made by Entex. They also did a Nieuport 17 and SE5A, and maybe an Albatros DV in the same series- all of which I have. I seem to recall some shape and dimension issues with all of them, and I seem to recall reading comments that the wings on all of the kits were underscale, which I did discover when comparing them to good drawings and published references . They do have some nicely molded detail parts and decals, but aren't of much use except for parts. I'm not a WW1 builder, for the most part, but I do have the Eduard Spad VII and XIII and they are both outstanding! I'm betting one of our resident WW1 members will be able to give you a more detailed assessment.

Mike

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

I agree with Paul's comments; IIRC, the Italeri Spad XIII is a rebox of the Esci kit, which I think was originally made by Entex. They also did a Nieuport 17 and SE5A, and maybe an Albatros DV in the same series- .

Mike

Also Academy, Fuji (IIRC) and a couple of others. There's also a Sopwith Camel and Fokker D.VII. The cockpits were all boxed in, with a ledge halfway down the back to perch a pilot on.  I flung one of each together recently just to see if they at least built up okay and could be given to children with a clear conscience, but I'm afraid they don't. I was going to rattle can them gold and silver and use as Christmas tree ornaments but went off the idea once they were built.

Paul.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies, eduard is a good option then.

I really want the decals for Francesco Baracca, the one with the black horse in white field (in 1:72)... the inspiring symbol for ferrari.

Do you know a good cheap option? otherwise I will have to buy the Italeri just for the decal (and use them on the Eduard kit) and improvise something with the rubbish kit!

I dont think eduard has that decals.. do they?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Jack109 said:

Thank you for your replies, eduard is a good option then.

I really want the decals for Francesco Baracca, the one with the black horse in white field (in 1:72)... the inspiring symbol for ferrari.

Do you know a good cheap option? otherwise I will have to buy the Italeri just for the decal (and use them on the Eduard kit) and improvise something with the rubbish kit!

I dont think eduard has that decals.. do they?

Thank you

The Italeri (ex. Eldon, ESCI, Academy kit) has the rounded wingtips like the Spad XIII (Early).

At least on of the decal alternatives (103 Aero Squadron) is for a Spad XIII (Late) with square wingtips.

You can also find the Baracca decals in the

ESCI Spad XIII no 9018

and
Spad XIII Early Dual Combo no. 2105

According to a review of the Academy/Minicraft Spad published in 'Windsock' some 30 years ago, the Eldon kits that were later boxed by ESCI (Spad, Nieuport 17, SE5a, Camel, Albatros DIII and Fokker DVII, IIRC) were, I quote, "'forgeries' of the original Revell 600 series". The Academy Spad isn't the same mould but a "somewhat substandard copy........the shape of the fuselage is hardly typical of the 13C1 and the tailplane outlines are distinctly suspect. Purists will doubtless also wince at the clumsy airscrew, small wheels and the forward fuselage panel which bears a brace of weapons that almost defy description." The decals were for Baracca's aircraft but unfortunately the roundels were French....... Very bravely, Academy had put a photo of the assembled kit on the box, and the reviewer wasn't exaggerating.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

According to a review of the Academy/Minicraft Spad published in 'Windsock' some 30 years ago, the Eldon kits that were later boxed by ESCI (Spad, Nieuport 17, SE5a, Camel, Albatros DIII and Fokker DVII, IIRC) were, I quote, "'forgeries' of the original Revell 600 series". The Academy Spad isn't the same mould but a "somewhat substandard copy........the shape of the fuselage is hardly typical of the 13C1 and the tailplane outlines are distinctly suspect. Purists will doubtless also wince at the clumsy airscrew, small wheels and the forward fuselage panel which bears a brace of weapons that almost defy description." The decals were for Baracca's aircraft but unfortunately the roundels were French....... Very bravely, Academy had put a photo of the assembled kit on the box, and the reviewer wasn't exaggerating.

There was also a 'Red Baron's Flying Circus' boxing by Escii containing all the ex-Eldon kits. The decals were the same as those most often included, although IIRC there was some variation between the various companies iterations. Anyway, I have that one, and just looking in it the Spad has gone elsewhere, but the decals for Baracca are still there, and this time the national markings are Italian. If the OP still wants them, PM me your address and I'll send them on.

Paul.

• Like 1