1/48 Mig-29A, Hungarian Air Force. Finished 23/08

DaveJL

Hello all,

My first entry for this GB will be a 1/48 GWH example in the markings of the Hungarian Air Force in the NATO scheme seen throughout the first decade of the 21st century:

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin/mig-29/MiG-29 HuAF 002.JPG

Kit:

38439487921_82f10f9753_b.jpg

24568314178_50bb25497c_b.jpg

I'm using the 'early' boxing but has all the parts needed to make the jet i'm after.

Extras:

38439465131_0a25bbdd29_b.jpg

Quickboost K-36 ejection seat, FOD covers and HAD models decals. Not sure if i'll use the exhaust covers. I'm also considering getting a set of B-8 rocket pods as I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of a Hungarian jet carrying a pair of these, though I could be wrong. Not sure if these were used solely for A2A.

Dave

• Like 4

welcome aboard Dave, you've first off the blocks for this build.

Gosh that done look nice and that's a big piece of plastic, least it saves on a lot of joins. I do like the way the missiles are almost all done for you, very nice. And soem AM stuff as well, very tasty!

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to seeing one of these GWH 29's being built, I suspect there will be quite a few in this GB!

Made a start. Cockpit built up, painted and weathered:

24568419078_7f19ee3755_b.jpg

Vents, intake louvers and parts of the cockpit added to the upper fuselage:

38383712106_80cbf47411_b.jpg

Undercarriage bays were painted and given a wash, then assembled and installed into the fuselage. As with my previous build, the main wells were tricky to get to fit and require a lot of clamping.

38439567361_c9860a704b_b.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

I like the idea of the wings being part of the fuselage so you only have one upper and lower section to worry about, rather than Academy's method which involves 10 pieces!!

I'm surprised that the wheel wells require so much effort.

Nice progress though. 

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I like the idea of the wings being part of the fuselage so you only have one upper and lower section to worry about, rather than Academy's method which involves 10 pieces!!

I'm surprised that the wheel wells require so much effort.

Nice progress though. 

Thanks Rich. The layout of the kit is very good. As for the landing gear wells, they just take a bit of fettling to get into the correct position, not a poor fit per se.

More done. Fuselage halves closed, nose cone added then the intakes….

38439525941_528112b485_b.jpg

24568372338_a47d2361b2_b.jpg

Definitely the worst part of this kit, they are a bugger. Best advice is to remove all the locating pins on the rear part of the trunking and just have some patience! Filling and sanding will be needed, but from my last build, it's not too difficult really.

More soon

Dave

• Like 2

Looking good and great advise Dave. A question, the instructions tell you to add the tailplanes when gluing the fuselage halves together, but I have noticed on this and you earlier build that you have not. My question is how easy is it to add them after the fuselages have been glued together? I take it that it is just removing the flange at the end of the attachment rod so that it can slot in and Robert is your fathers brother.

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Looking good and great advise Dave. A question, the instructions tell you to add the tailplanes when gluing the fuselage halves together, but I have noticed on this and you earlier build that you have not. My question is how easy is it to add them after the fuselages have been glued together? I take it that it is just removing the flange at the end of the attachment rod so that it can slot in and Robert is your fathers brother.

Cheers mate.

Yes, just remove the raised flange at the end, only a small bit of plastic to come off. The stabilisers fit just fine with the remaining locating pins (I used a drop of super glue on my last build and there were no issues)

More done. Filler around the intakes was cleaned up (about an hours work) and various bits were added:

38408079102_52b9ebe9fc_b.jpg

38439495731_6d34b18788_b.jpg

Then added the tail fins:

26663142849_f296b8cf76_b.jpg

Much easier adding the intakes first then the fins -the opposite of what the instruction suggest.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Dave it's coming on and looking good. I'm a newbie but want to build models like the folk on here and improve, and I do with advice on here but probably boringly for you guys are basic questions. The green stuff, is that some kind of filler or glue? I've used milliput as a filler but wonder if it's something better, or some sort of join line mask. Sorry, Thanks 

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

after a bit of a fight you've seemed to have knocked her into shape. Again I'm just surprised just how much trouble this model is giving everyone.

It's not too bad at all, but the intakes are a bugger. A bit of work is all it takes and it builds into a great model!

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Dave it's coming on and looking good. I'm a newbie but want to build models like the folk on here and improve, and I do with advice on here but probably boringly for you guys are basic questions. The green stuff, is that some kind of filler or glue? I've used milliput as a filler but wonder if it's something better, or some sort of join line mask. Sorry, Thanks 

Cheers. It's Squadron 'green' filler. Been using it for years and wouldn't use anything else.

• Like 1

More done and the tricky parts are now behind me thankfully! Front part of the fins with countermeasures fitted (note that the parts stated in the instructions should be fitted to the opposite side indicated), flaps added and most of the airframe cleaned up.

36124439692_d59b98353e_k.jpg

36124434372_18bfa0bd06_k.jpg

36124432122_79e422282a_k.jpg

Few small areas to clean up and some etch to add before starting masking and priming.

More soon.

Dave

You're making a lot better progress than I am that's for sure, almost ready for the fun part.......painting!

Are you able to take a photo of the front mount of the drop tank and measure the length of the drop tanks as well? I have this horrible feeling Academy want me to mount it further back then it should be. From your photo it appears to be just behind the nose wheel well, from memory Academy want me to fit it about 25mm back from that position, even had to open a hole for it. I've be trying to find some detailed photos of that area without too much luck. Plus I have just bought the Karaya resin replacement and it's significantly longer than the Academy tank, which sort of has me a bit worried as well!

That's the kit ready for masking and priming.

36390247095_1cb5e0f539_k.jpg

35582197143_41a360173e_k.jpg

36222224152_9e7f411aa7_k.jpg

On 02/08/2017 at 1:56 AM, trickyrich said:

You're making a lot better progress than I am that's for sure, almost ready for the fun part.......painting!

Are you able to take a photo of the front mount of the drop tank and measure the length of the drop tanks as well? I have this horrible feeling Academy want me to mount it further back then it should be. From your photo it appears to be just behind the nose wheel well, from memory Academy want me to fit it about 25mm back from that position, even had to open a hole for it. I've be trying to find some detailed photos of that area without too much luck. Plus I have just bought the Karaya resin replacement and it's significantly longer than the Academy tank, which sort of has me a bit worried as well!

Rich, the fuel tank is approx 10.5cm long and the front mount is below:

35582184783_ac45493272_k.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1