Moebius Orion III and Moonbus re-issues

I read somewhere else (do not remember where) that the Clipper is not a straight reissue (Aurora molds - not Airfix) but an improved one. I seem to recall that the plastic parts should receive a correction.

Edit:

On http://www.culttvmanshop.com/2001-Space-Clipper-Orion-reissue-from-Moebius-Models--2695--PREORDER-RESERVATION-_p_3777.html

"The Space Clipper Orion is an orbital spacecraft from 2001: A Space Odyssey.  The reissued kit features improved tooling.    It is based on detailed references from the late sixties.   The kit is fully licensed and will feature all new packaging.  "

If it is "fully licensed" - it should include PanAm as well...

On 25/06/2017 at 18:59, SleeperService said:

A deceptively simple question. Is this kit the 'accurate' one or the less good Airfix one? I love the film and made the Airfix one as a kid but even then noticed it wasn't too clever.

The  Clipper kit is not comparable to the Airfix kit in any respect. 2001 guru Adam Johnson was heavily involved in the production  of the Moebius kit to make it as canon to the filming prop as the budget would allow.

As regarding the clipper kit  being re-tooled, it was originally announced that  the re-issue would  have minor enhancements. But, I'm led to believe that has gone by the way side now, I guess we will have to wait and see. As an aside I prefer the original Moebius art work.

The Moonbus is a straight re-issue of the previous version, which in turn was a back engineered from the Aurora kit, which is not bad as the Aurora kit was based on the original MGM Art Department drawings.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

On 25/06/2017 at 19:06, hacker said:

noticed the Pam Am markings are missing ...at least on the box art

The Pan Am graphics are  now owned by a US freight company and require a separate licensing agreement.

Thomo.

There's something fishy going on with the Orion...... Moebius' original issue of the Clipper was marketed as 1/160th scale.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/moe/kit_moe_20012.shtml

Either it's somebody else's plastic, of they're misleading buyers claiming it's 1/144.  :wait:

Hell, Tomohawk's etch & decal set links claim 1/190th.

If it is a retooling of the Aurora 1/144 kit, then that's great, because it is much nicer that the Airfix issue.

But for now....keep your powder dry.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rotorheadtx said:

There's something fishy going on with the Orion...... Moebius' original issue of the Clipper was marketed as 1/160th scale.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/moe/kit_moe_20012.shtml

Either it's somebody else's plastic, of they're misleading buyers claiming it's 1/144.  :wait:

Hell, Tomohawk's etch & decal set links claim 1/190th.

It's the same kit.

It's no my etch either, its produced by a company called  Paragrafix. What ever the scale it fits the Moebius kit snugly.

If it is a retooling of the Aurora 1/144 kit, then that's great, because it is much nicer that the Airfix issue.

But for now....keep your powder dry.

The Moebius Orion Clipper is not a retool of the Aurora kit, but a new kit or it was when it was originally released as far as I'm aware it has no Aurora heritage. Where as thier Moonbus is back engineered from the Aurora kit, with a few contruction mods like a non warping roof.

Thomo.

5 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

It's not my etch either, its produced by a company called  Paragrafix. What ever the scale it fits the Moebius kit snugly.

Thomo.

Ahhh, the fine friction between the Queen's and 'Murican English - wasn't my intent to associate the products with you...just the links you posted.

Hope no offense was taken. :D