US Navy Centennial retro paint schemes

72modeler

I was researching this topic for a fellow modeler, and I thought some of you might like to see these photos; I did some searching on BM forums and didn't see anything already posted, but if so, Mike, please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum location. Some neat and  unusual modeling project fodder here, and IIRC one of the decal makers did the markings for many of these aircraft. When you consider how much it cost to prep and paint these, it is a wonder that so many schemes were done and so well. I know which one was my favorite, what about you?  Enjoy, mates!

Mike

http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/centennial/Documents/Heritage Paint Project.pdf

• Like 2

Those schemes work well on the newer planes, was thinking of doing an RF-4 into something from the mid thirties look. I just want to have the markings correct for a recon plane of that time. The colour on the Prowler sure is an effective camo.

Thanks for posting this link. It was interesting to see them all together and with the explanations of each scheme. I had not seen some of the helicopter ones before too,

andy

Thanks for posting the link, very interesting ! I believe I have seen pictures of all these aircrafts before but it's great to have them all in a single document.

A Japanese magazine had devoted a special to the USN Centenary with many pictures of these and other aircrafts, special that also included a cloth patch. Can't find what publisher it came from but it's something very interesting for anyone interested in the subject.

Thanks for the information.

I recently finished building the "MH-60R 166524" using the Olimp conversion and the Fightertown "NAVAIR Centennial Tri-Tone Trifecta" decals.

It was a slog, but looks pretty good now it's finished.

Thinking of continuing with the other aircraft in the Fightertown decal sheet (F-14, F-18, EA-6B).

This link should help -> Navy Centennial Schemes

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that was over 5 years ago and I have yet to model any of those schemes.

Too bad it took place 5 years after the USN retired their F-14s 5 years earlier.   It would've been neat to see those older schemes on them.