1/72 Hobbyboss P-39Q

Today I finished this Hobbyboss 1/72nd P-39Q. Built box stock including decals. Painted with Tamiya acrylics except for the Olive Drab and Neutral Gray, where I tried Model Masters.

Somehow I managed to get some fogging or dirt on the inside of the canopy. Not sure what happened, I'd used Tamiya green cap to fix the canopy down and a few hours later when I masked it, it was fine.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with it, particularly given cost and the small amount of time invested. It went together pretty well. Needed a few spots of putty, nothing big. Most of the panel lines on the fuselage where inconsistent in depth so I re-scribed the bulk of them to try to get more uniformity.

I've picked up a few of these Hobbyboss kits and some, like this one, are pretty much fine. Others, like the Buffalo with the missing belly window, less so. The plastic in all of them is soft, kind of like a bar of soap, so you have to be careful with it.

Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39

Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39Hobbyboss 1/72 P-39

• Like 30

Really nice Paintjob, but are you sure about the Weaponconfiguration. Afaik the Cobras has two MG in each wing OR the Gondolagun. I have`nt seen jet, a picture with both.

Best regards.

Stefan

Edited by A6Intruder
New Link
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, A6Intruder said:

Really nice Paintjob, but are you sure about the Weaponconfiguration. Afaik the Cobras has two MG in each wing OR the Gondolagun. I have`nt seen jet, a picture with both.

Best regards.

Stefan

Hi Stefan. You're probably correct, I never bothered to check any reference on this, just followed what they told me to do in the instructions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lowbrow said:

Hi Stefan. You're probably correct, I never bothered to check any reference on this, just followed what they told me to do in the instructions.

Hi Longbow,

that`s quite sad because of your really nice Paintwork and the well documented plane. The Hobby-Boss Instruction points out the Differences between the different Versions sadly only on the Painting Guide. It`s a "Q" only with Gondola-Guns but with guns above the Engine, where are this gun on you Plane?

Here for example the Museum-Plane:

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p39-p63registry/p39-snooks2nd.html

more Pics:

http://m.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=96990

Best regards

Stefan

• Like 1

i really like the result from an inexpensive hobbyboss kit.

i built the same 'snooks' version from academy and your Hobbyboss version looks fantastic as a kit comparison.

I also like the workbench photos. The  kit is really clear but  true build environment is there to see.

Nice one for sure! Well done

Cheers 

Bruce

• Like 1

I must say, that looks fantastic to me!

Perhaps I have ignored this kit somewhat, to my regret.

Would still struggle to get it looking as good as yours, though!

Top notch. :clap2:

The more I see of this build the more I like it. I can see a couple of these coming my way, it'd be a shame not to use the spare decals in the MPM/Academy boxing though Snooks 2nd as you have done it would be high on the list too, as long as I could do it as you have done it. :)

Steve.