Airfix Wimpy for 2018

PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

I think the mk II qualifies as the ugliest installation of the Merlin on any aircraft!

Ugly is relative, also the variations are what make things interesting.

15 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

there is a high altitude resin conversion kit 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/unicraft-models-unc1297-wellington-mkv-conversion-kit--1037280

not sure how it will fit the new airfix kit

cheers

jerry 

I think it will (with some helping putty in a case...

BTW - I think that Merlin nacelles and cooler cover in Mk VI were different that those in Mk II, they were (or not?) the "power egg"  like in Lancaster on Beau Mk II, 

1YeWzLR_Lhum6-ecw36o3XDhs6IMDlvR4fsHd18BgLVx_QVRy5E8RSTmceWB_LxjvHIVAfyiZKsg3mZ4

I made it out of scratch some 15 years ago... 

Rgards

J-W

They look like the Lanc engine installation, but the engines were Merlin two stage 60 series and so the dimensions may be different (longer?) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Ali @Ali62at Aerocraft Models was working on one, he had test shots at SMW, but it doesn't appear to have gone into production yet

You are correct Dave, decals are done, I am still trying to capture the correct lines for the nose and the inline engines, they are not just bang on merlons they have a few distinctive that are not on any other aircraft, also the nose varies quite a lot, and like so many of these types they changed an awful lot while being developed and in production.

I stand to be corrected, it is a while since I read my info but I seem to recall that there was around 160 airframes built, when the Mosquito took over the intended role / roles many of these were apparently used for OBOE training and other tasks, but a lot were also scrapped. The radial engine version and conversion shown I think was only 1 airframe, possibly a few more, so that is why I am doing the in-line one as there are more options. Information is scarce but I have gathered quite a bit over the last few years, but there is still arguments that the wing span was greater and that the tail planes were larger in span as well. So far I have not seen or had conclusive evidence on the wing span, I do not think they did, BUT THERE COULD HAVE BEEN SOME? As For the tail plane once again some may have been fitted with the greater span elevators that were fitted to Wellingtons but that would be it in my mind and investigations. IF anybody has any 100% conclusive evidence then please do get hold of me.

No promises but I will try and move this project on fairly soon.

Ali

• Like 3

I take it that Airfix will not have corrected the lack of fabric on the bomb bay roof/cabin floor for this release? (the one time a part could have been improved by being covered in flash) 😉 

• 1 month later...

News - release expected in the first week of October - ref. A08021 - Vickers Wellington Mk.II

Source: https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/concorde-comes-home

Our bombers will win the war!

73962.jpg

Built sample model featuring the new Wellington kit parts which allow this unusual Rolls Royce Merlin powered variant of the bomber to be modelled

As Europe erupted into conflict at the start of the Second World War, the Royal Air Force was still in a period of significant expansion, with military officials certain that the aeroplane would play a major role in the battles to come, but found they were now having to make up for lost time. With a fighter force which could now boast the new Hurricane and Spitfire monoplanes amongst their numbers, Bomber Command were certain that they held the key to eventual victory and that their bombers would pound the Germans into submission, but only if Fighter Command could protect their airfields from attack. During the first offensive operations of the war, it soon became clear that the pre-war belief that British bombers would be capable of defending themselves against enemy fighter attack was cruelly misguided, a realisation which would quickly see the bombing offensive move from precision daylight raids, to less accurate night bombing, in an attempt to reduce the quite staggering losses the force were experiencing.

On the eve of conflict, Bomber Command could call upon some 23 operational squadrons (around 280 aircraft), which were equipped with such aircraft as the ageing Whitley, unsuitable Battle and more effective Blenheim and Hampden bombers. By far the most capable bomber they had at their disposal at that time, the Vickers Wellington had first flown in 1936, eventually entering Royal Air Force service with No.99 Squadron at Mildenhall in October 1938. These early production aircraft bore little resemblance to the prototype aircraft and when compared to contemporary medium bombers already in RAF service, the Wellington appeared to be a much more advanced design, an aircraft any potential enemy should be fearful of. With its sleek monoplane design and heavy defensive armament, the new Wellington was one of the most capable medium bombers in the world and the aircraft would have an important role to play in the coming air war.

With heavier four engined bombers in development but still some way off being in widespread service, the operational use and continuous supply of new Wellington bombers was absolutely essential to Britain’s war effort and nothing could be allowed to affect the continued supply of newly constructed aircraft. A developmental proposal which actually stemmed back to 1938, the Mk.II variant of the Wellington was an attempt to equip this important aircraft with more powerful engines, whilst at the same time also helping to ensure the continued flow of newly built aircraft, even if there were supply issues with the more usual Bristol Pegasus engines. 

73963.jpg

All the images used in this section of the blog feature a built sample of the impending kit release of our new Wellington Mk.II, with the additional parts needed to construct this Merlin engined variant of the bomber

The main powerplant to be used by this variant was to be the Rolls Royce Merlin X, a powerful inline V12 engine which utilised a two-speed supercharger and held the promise of increased power output, however, what the new engine gave the Wellington with one hand, it took away with the other. With the lengthy development of the new Merlin X engine, it would not become available to Vickers designers until early 1939, with the first flight of the Mk.II variant not taking place until 3rd March 1939. Although clearly a welcome potential addition to Bomber Command’s aerial arsenal, the overall performance of the Merlin powered Wellingtons did not entirely meet initial expectations, proving to be more of a compromise that a straight improvement. Although the new engines did produce more power than the original Bristol Pegasus, they were also quite significantly heavier than its radial competitor and whilst the Mk.II Wellingtons were capable of achieving greater speeds and operate at higher altitudes than other Wellingtons, it also operated with a reduced bomb carrying capability and could not match the range of its predecessor. 

Finally entering service at the end of 1940, the Wellington Mk.II would be produced in much smaller quantities than variants which came before and after it and from a total wartime production of 11,462 Wellingtons of all types, only 401 would be of the Rolls Royce Merlin powered variant. With the exception of the alternative powerplants, the Wellington Mk.II was basically identical to the Mk.IC, which was the first major production variant of the bomber, with some 2,685 of this type eventually being produced. Although historically only accounting for less than four percent of the total Wellington production run, the Merlin powered Mk.IIs have a fascinating wartime story to tell and from a modelling perspective, make for a really interesting and surprisingly different looking addition to any model collection of British wartime bombers.

The images we are using to illustrate this update feature a built sample model using advanced production frames from the additional Mk.II tooling option and finished in the lead scheme option to be included with this interesting new kit. Looking at the model, there is no doubt that this is 100% Wellington, but there is just something a little unusual about it. When displaying this model next to other Wellington variants, it will be interesting to see how many people comment on why it looks different and how many people will actually know the story of the 401 Rolls Royce Merlin X powered Wellingtons.

Scheme A - Vickers Wellington Mk.II Z8339/SM-N, RAF No.305 (Polish) Squadron, Lindholme, South Yorkshire, England, June 1942.

73964.jpg
73965.jpg

Formed in late August 1940, No.305 Squadron was made up of a majority of Polish aircrews, who had managed to escape the German Blitzkrieg against their nation, only to have to evade them again later in France. Originally equipped with the obsolete Fairey Battle light bomber, they later converted to Wellingtons and began night bomber operations from April 1941. In July of the same year, the unit moved to RAF Lindholme in South Yorkshire, from where they would operate the Rolls Royce Merlin powered Mk.II variant of the Wellington. After two constant years of operation supporting Bomber Command’s night bombing offensive, the Squadron converted to daylight bombing operations, having traded their British bombers for American made Mitchells. Their time with the Mitchell would prove to be short lived, as after just sixteen operational missions, they would exchange the ‘Magnificent Medium’ for an even more effective aircraft, the de Havilland Mosquito. They would use the Mosquito to continually harass the enemy until the end of the war, operating from several forward airfields on the continent following the D-Day landings. 

Vickers Wellington Z8339 took off from RAF Lindholme just before midnight on 19th June 1942, taking her place in a force of 194 RAF bombers sent to strike the coastal town of Emden. The raid was made up of Wellingtons, Halifaxes, Stirlings, Hampdens and Lancasters, however, the main strength of the force was made up of no fewer than 112 Wellingtons. Records show that the main force were some way off the target and whilst most reported accurately bombing the town, they actually struck Osnabruck, some 80 miles to the south.

73966.jpg
73967.jpg
73968.jpg

The raid would not be as costly as some, but would still suffer the loss of nine bombers, including Wellington Z8339. It is thought that she was the victim of nightfighter ace Herbert Lutje of 8./NJG.1 and his Messerschmitt Bf 110F-4 G9+AS, who intercepted the bomber almost immediately as she turned for home. The aircraft came down near the Dutch town of Heeten in the early hours of 20th June 1942, with all but one of the crew tragically being lost.

A really interesting addition to the range, this alternatively powered Wellington would look great displayed next to one of our Bristol Hercules powered Avro Lancaster B.II kits, scale examples of famous British WWII bombers which seem to have something a little unusual about their appearance. Our new Wellington Mk.II kit is scheduled for release during the first week in October.

V.P.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The box art presents machine from 305 (Polish) Squadron RAF.  I am pretty sure (and hope) that soon some decals will appear with another machines from this squadron having nose arts:

d9545396e090dad0.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Beware of short shots on this new Mk.II kit. Specifically, I bought 3 copies and the end of the gun barrel on parts E34, there are two required, is missing on every single one. It actually might not technically be a short shot, I’m actually thinking that the mold might have got blocked in that area.

On the positive side, it’s made out of a new harder plastic which seems to be easier to work with.

I put a picture of the problem at the following link 

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=1979989&share_tid=56016&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tapatalk.com%2Fgroups%2Fairfixtributeforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D56016&share_type=t&link_source=app

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

‘I’m actually thinking that the mold might have got blocked in that area.’

Thanks for the heads up, but it might not be universal.

Mine arrived from Hornsby today and the barrels on my kit are fine.

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Soon in Winter 2023 - ref. A08019A - Vickers Wellington Mk.IA/C

Source: https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/raf-vickers-wellington-under-new-management

c709a4cc-88a5-488d-a6b2-a9ec58ebf80f.jpg

Our latest Workbench exclusive, this stunning new box artwork depicts one of the RAF Wellingtons which took part in the disastrous Battle of Heligoland Bight in December 1939 and the lead scheme option of two included with this latest Wellington kit release.

Scheme A - Vickers Wellington Mk.1A N2871/WS-B, No.9 Squadron Royal Air Force, RAF Honington, Suffolk, England, 18th December 1939.

e773e495-5e7f-478f-ba55-77b6b11daac1.jpg

812e009b-7043-41de-ba58-6fcdf2cac3b5.jpg

Scheme B - Vickers Wellington Mk.1C L7842/KF-T, Formerly of No.311 (Czechoslovak) Squadron Royal Air Force, captured and evaluated by the Luftwaffe, 1941.

8d8371b1-1c1c-4927-94a1-1fe6462d6922.jpg

b64f1656-9767-442f-87fd-d13c3999bda6.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I haven't bought a re-release from Airfix recently, is this likely to be in the newer, darker grey plastic?

Haven't got the Wellington but, at least in my experience, all the re-releases have been the newer "harder" plastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1