Airfix Wimpy for 2018

PhantomBigStu

25 minutes ago, snowen250 said:

What are the differences between engine fronts on IA and IC? Those in the CAD renders look like IC units to me, do you have any images to show the error?

Probably has something to do with the fact the CAD images are for a 1C as the first releases is the 1C

6 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Probably has something to do with the fact the CAD images are for a 1C as the first releases is the 1C

Yes, but the gentleman was saying the CAD showed 1A engines. However I wasn't aware there were any differences in the front of the engines, so was wondering what the issue was? :)

Simon

It looks like I have to admit mia culpa, I've gone back to my references which had me convinced that the MkIc didn't have the slotted baffle In front of the engine only to find a photo of a MkIc with them. Oh well it's better to have them so they can be left off as required rather than to have to scratch them.

• Like 1

Mixing variants on the CAD renders is something they have done before (Shackleton, Phantom spring to mind). I'd be surprised if they only do one version.

I hope someone does a conversion to the early mk I without the power operated turrets, although that might make for an expensive model! Have to go an look for a mk Ic with the low level fuselage demarcation scheme as well

Edited by Dave Fleming

According to Wikipedia, here are the Wellington production numbers

Pegasus Engine

Mk.I - 183

Mk.Ia - 187

Mk.Ic - 2,685

GR.Mk.VIII (Mk.Ic) - 307

Merlin

Mk.II - 401

Mk.VI (High altitude version with long span wings and bullet-shaped pressurized cockpit pod - 63

Hercules

Mk.III - 1,517

Mk.X - 3,804

GR.Mk.XI (Mk.X) - 307

GR.Mk.XII (Mk.X) - 58

GR.Mk.XIII (Mk.X) - 844

GR.Mk.XIV (Mk.X) - 841

Pratt&Whitney

Mk.IV - 220

Hopefully, Airfix will tool up the kit to accommodate the MK.X and the associated Coastal Command GR versions. Any chance of someone doing a Mk.VI conversion?

Edited by VMA131Marine

• 4 months later...

Totally unbuildable. They've missed the wooden stringers off the inside of the fuselage.  Yes I know you won't be able to see them when the kit is built, but I'll know they're not there. ;).

Joking aside, do you paint the geodetic structure first and then infill with red dope fabric or fabric first and then the structure? I cab see it going to be either a therapeutic or intensely frustrating exercise.

Those (unavoidable) ejector pin marks. Scrape or cover with a square of plastic card?

6 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That upper cowling on the wing looks a trifle odd? Is this because Hercules and P&W engined versions have different fairing shapes?

Trevor

Separate wing covers, are they planning a Mk.II maybe ?

Edit:

I see the center part is fixed so that wouldn't work for a Mk.II

10 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Ignore them. There's no way they're going to be visible inside such a busy 1/72 interior through canopy parts. If you decide to do a massive cutaway then maybe fill them.

I did suggest to the Airfix team that a fuselage half of just the geodetics would be a good idea - if only to show off all the detail they had put inside.  you can see from the faired over holes and cut line in the nose that great thought has gone into getting many Marks of Wellington out of this mould. We have years of fun ahead.

• Like 3

I have been wanting to do a Wellington 1c of 75 (NZ) sqdn.  In particular, the aircraft of Ward VC.  The MPM was going to be the first choice, but now the Airfix offering is a much better option.  It would also be good if Airfix could also do a GR Mk. VIII variant that was used as a torpedo bomber operating from Malta during 1942 in 221 and 38 sqdns. Lastly, a little more effort could produce a Vickers Warwick in both as a ASR Mk.I and a GSR Mk.II/Mk.V.  I hope Airfix is listening?

17 hours ago, IrishKiwi said:

I have been wanting to do a Wellington 1c of 75 (NZ) sqdn.  In particular, the aircraft of Ward VC.  The MPM was going to be the first choice, but now the Airfix offering is a much better option.  It would also be good if Airfix could also do a GR Mk. VIII variant that was used as a torpedo bomber operating from Malta during 1942 in 221 and 38 sqdns. Lastly, a little more effort could produce a Vickers Warwick in both as a ASR Mk.I and a GSR Mk.II/Mk.V.  I hope Airfix is listening?

I had a good look at the Wellington fuselage at SMW and the flashed over holes are there for the GRVIII. It looks to be a a ery nice kit, although not everyone will like the moulded open bomb and undercarriage doors. i would not like them usually, but on this occasion I might go with it.

On 13/11/2017 at 1:20 AM, IrishKiwi said:

There’s a Warwick being worked on currently by Alley Cat, looks very good 

• Like 1