Airfix Wimpy for 2018

PhantomBigStu

18 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

Ohhhh wonder how this will compare to the MPM and Trumpy incarnations.  Shame its not the Mk.III to replace the current Airfix kit but welcome nonetheless.

I imagine it'll be easier to make than the MPM one and, judging by Airfix's current kits, more detailed than the Trumpeter one.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.

20 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

Ohhhh wonder how this will compare to the MPM and Trumpy incarnations.  Shame its not the Mk.III to replace the current Airfix kit but welcome nonetheless.

Not an expert on the type but, given the commonality between the types would it not be a simple job  (with appropriate alternate parts) to follow on with a BIII or, Wellington X which, if I recall was the version produced in largest numbers?

Allan

ps - VERY welcome news!! All we need now is a Hampden!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Not an expert on the type but, given the commonality between the types would it not be a simple job  (with appropriate alternate parts) to follow on with a BIII or, Wellington X which, if I recall was the version produced in largest numbers?

Allan

Apart from the engines the biggest difference between the Marks was the number and arrangement of the fuselage windows.

Looking at those CAD renderings I think I've convinced myself that Airfix is going to mould the geodesic structure with the window openings which can then be filled with a clear window piece or a ribbed skin panel. If I'm right I can see the whole Wimpy family being drip fed to us over the coming years.

I think they've got the pressure in the mainwheel tyre all wrong.......... for that reason alone I won't be buying one..........

• Like 6

Still looking forward to the B-25, however if this is the only 2018 announcement (which I'm sure it's not) - I'd still be a happy modeller. 

These are the core subjects that we want - please keep these classics coming.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Great choice by Airfix. If we all buy enough Wellingtons, we will see a new Stirling, Halifax and Hampden....I can feel it in my creaking bones!

• Like 5

Wonderful news. The Trumpeter kit is pretty good, but the narrow engine nacelles are not the easiest things to fix.

I wonder what chance of seeing a Mk1? That's oddball enough to appeal to Airfix as their second release. Whatever they do. I see a few of these in my future.

Cheers,

Bill.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW!

Uncannily enough, I was walking through the park this morning thinking "Ugh, it'll be ages before the first 2018 release announcement from Airfix, and it'll be boring and safe because Hornby are running out of money".

Very, very chuffed at this!

I finally caved in and bought the Trumpeter Mk. III kit last year, and have spent much of the time since worrying about/attempting to plan how to widen the wheels, undercarriage legs, undercarriage bays and nacelles.

This afternoon I initially thought "Drat! I've wasted all that money on that stupid Trumpeter kit!". But the solution is simple! Buy two Airfix Mk. Ic, build one straight, build an interesting Mk. III/X/coastal scheme with the fuselage and engines of the Trumpeter plus Airfix  wings, then cobble together a second FrankenMk. I with Airfix fuselage and Trumpy wings to hang on the ceiling, wheels up.

What can go wrong (Apart from my bank balance)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Especially bearing in mind what they've done with the Whitley.  Very good news this.  If the CADS are anything to go by this will be a cracker.