Hi, from Liverpool

Hobby Paul

Hi everyone... it's good to be here.

Names Paul, obviously, 34.

Been a big plane fan since i was a kid, joined the Air Training Corps in my teens and that is where i started model making... making many... sadly now all gone somewhere i don't know.

Sadly life takes over then you have a family... 7 kids.

However i did manage a model or two along the way the most recent being a Heinkel 111 at 1/72 built four years ago.

So why am i here?

Well recently i've been restoring an old 1949 Lister D stationary engine and rather than paint a few parts i chose to spray them and naturally i had to dig out my model spray gun to do so...

which in turn led my kids to notice my broken Heinkel 111... they themselves like planes and so wanted to fix it.

They seemed to enjoy doing so and wanted their own plane to build... so as a tester for them and me i bought a Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MK1A at 1/72.... which led me to this forum in my search for related model making info.

My plan now is to finish the Spitfire then buy the kids their own plane... and of course get myself a new plane that i love but have never built.... an Avro Lancaster, my only problem is do i get a 1/72 or bigger?

I look forward to joining in.

hx2aef.jpg

o9o17a.jpg

sou5o6.jpg

16a62as.jpg

2r2lzic.jpg

70l0mp.jpg

Edited by Hobby Paul
Adding Photos
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum Paul.

If you want a Lancaster, try the recent Airfix ones - they go together nicely. Personally I stick to 1/72 as I like the opportunities and to compare the size of aircraft - in what other scale can you pose a Pitts Special next to an A400M? But everybody builds the scale that suits them.

Whatever you do, have fun.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-22 at 11:10 PM, Hobby Paul said:

only problem is do i get a 1/72 or bigger?

Depends on how much display space you have. Using the Lancaster as an example, the 1/48 one will look impressive but take up a lot of space.

The 1/72 one can be built into an equally impressive model and take up less.

Although from the magazine articles it appears that 1/48 is taking over the world, there are still a lot of us working with 1/72. (lets see what that stirs up then)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Depends on how much display space you have.

Plenty of space... if i hang it from the ceiling in the bedroom, other than that i was thinking of hanging it on the wall.

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Nice job on the Heinkel :)

I disagree... i hadn't built a model for sometime and just all of a sudden decided to buy one.

I still hand painted a lot of things but i was in a rush to get it built... however i did do my first spray job on it which turned out better than brush painting.... but the camo is too straight and lines don't match up and i painted it before i had glued it so the marks on the fuselage are where i glued my fingers to it.

I think i may buy a few more before getting the lancaster.

Hi Paul,

Personally, I generally stick to 72 because I can fit more on the shelves in my cabinets, but I occasionally do a 48 of something unusual like the "Spirit of St Louis".

I love the paint job on the Heinkel!

Cheers,

CfB

• Like 1

On 27/06/2017 at 21:58, HomerJ_757 said:

Like the Lister!

Me too... alot.

Bought a few years ago in very rusted but working condition... used it a bit and went to two shows.

Recently thought about selling it and just buying a small engine or a good condition Lister D... then i thought it would be better to just give it a new paint job.

So it got taken apart a little, repainted and placed on a trolley that has also been restored.... almost finished then it can run my newly restored Lister domestic water pump.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, from one new guy to another hello. Just thumbs up from me on the Lancaster goal. I happen to claim the lancaster as my favorite ww2 bomber and i think thats saying something considering ive got the boeings and consolidsted to pick from. 

Just something particularly Beautiful about the Lancaster. :D would love someday to see one up close and maybe even see one fly. 

Good luck from america

dennis

• Like 1