King Tiger - References and Tutorials

Bernie Mac

Hi all,

So I have been looking for the next project and I am leaning towards going for something that rolls on the ground rather than something that flys above it...I think refer to it as the "dark side" but that all depends what side of the fence you are standing! :lol:

My background, last few projects and most of the skills I have learned have been in the aircraft world from modern to WW2 era aircraft. My thinking is that I will hpefully expand my skill set and learn some new techniques. With all of this in mind I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of any good online resources for:

1. Tutorials on weathering and any other paint techniques that are a bit more AFV secific (chipping, mud, etc)
  2. Refernce materials

To give you a taste of what I am looking at, I have my eyes set squarely on the Takom King Tiger in 1:35. It looks like a beautiful kit! I have a bit of a history buff and always loved the Tiger and King Tiger. This kit has really stood out to me since it first came out and I think its time I got my hands on it. Hence why I would like to get some decent references of King Tigers for weathering and general wear and tear as well as how the tigers were kitted and loaded out.

I know there is tonnes of resources online, but you do have to silt through a lot to get to the good stuff so was hoping some of you might be will to share your finds! If anyone is interested in going the opposite direction to be me let me know and I will happily share my knowledge base! :yes:

When it comes to armour 'artists', the two biggest names are probably Mig Jimenez and Adam Wilder.  Will also throw in Mike Rinaldi, though not sure if he has anything on youtube, but definitely has published books with step by step on specific subjects.

King Tiger loadouts, best references are wartime photos.  In general they only carried standard kit, not usually loaded up with extra supplies and such, except for riding infantry.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Thanks very much for advise folks! I do have one other questions that I am struggling to find with my current reference source.

Do we know what the crew would do with empty shell casing after they were spent? As in where would they be stored? I am hoping to present the model as if it was in a static position while carrying out a long range bombardment of sorts and wondered if the crew would chuck the empty casing out the back of the turret when well out of range of the enemy, or where they just left rolling around inside? I have seen a model or two which shows the casing in the rails behind the chamber but would have imagined this would get in the way once of reloading after some time.

If they crew do fire them out the back I would like to place a couple resting on the top of the engine compartment to represent this action.

Any help or would are much appreciated.

- Ian

I don't know of any Tiger units employed in the bombardment role, but I suppose it is possible as they did carry a couple varieties of HE shells and the gun had a max range of 20k meters.   I think the only limitations would be the max. gun elevation it could achieve compared to a true artillery piece.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger2.htm

---------------------------------------

Some good read here on how empty shells were dispensed with:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1169403124

regards,

Jack