1/48 Airfix Spitfire PR. XIX, SwAF

Another build... I am building many kits simultaneously, which means that sometimes I don't finish anything for months, and sometimes a number of models are finished almost at the same time. 

Here is Airfix Spitfire, a nice kit with slightly too deep panel lines as my only remark. The Swedish decals in the box are good, but not perfect, so I replaced them with superb decals from Moose Republic Decals.

34621003593_45f87db24e_c.jpg

For those of you that are not familiar with the history of Spitfire in Sweden; Sweden bought 50 Spitfire PR. XIX recce aircraft. They were in service 1948-55 and among other things they were used for a few missions over Soviet Union, flying so high that not even the MiG-15 jet fighter could reach them.

34621005063_4c64dbd8a0_c.jpg

34620999783_1c84cf1cee_c.jpg

Apart from the decals most is OOB apart from a set of Eduard Brassin wheels.

34621010373_9560125c57_c.jpg

I also used a vacuform canopy.

35301173391_cb9b5deec7_c.jpg

I used Xtracrylics PRU Blue.

35264406032_d5d214acb0_c.jpg

What is hiding inside... :)

34100279955_630e2ab565_c.jpg

An here it is along with another British WWII icon in Swedish markings:

35043673230_c938a6792c_c.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 36

Very, very nice work Björn! I love the interior detailing you have made. I've already built one (60) and another one is coming to the "Production Line". I will use RB -Decals(?) set for S31.

I visited a camera shop in Uppsala and they have an original SKa -camera from a S31. Worth a visit...

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

My all time favourite aeroplane, perfectly rendered in the best looking livery of them all!

It's interesting to note that the camera mounting frames were made of wood, for better vibration damping.

Not being able to resist a microscopic nit pick, the meticulously restored Sw AF Museum PR Mk XIX/S 31 has the oxygen tanks behind the seat bulkhead painted in black and white…

A decade ago, I was privileged to shoot a video interview with AF lieutenant-colonel Sten Brycker, who in 1948 led the first ferry flight of S 31:s from England to the F 11 wing at Skavsta outside Nyköping. He remembered how they had to stop over in Hamburg, since the first batch of S 31:s were not equipped with auxiliary fuel tanks.

Before take off the next morning, the engines had to be run up, but there was no tie-down equipment available for securing the tails during warm up. Instead, a number of erks (in reality, German POW:s) had to hang over the tails. Since Brycker was the leader of the flight, his 'tail anchor' was no less than a Luftwaffe general.

Beautiful S 31, Björn!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Very, very nice work Björn! I love the interior detailing you have made. I've already built one (60) and another one is coming to the "Production Line". I will use RB -Decals(?) set for S31.

Thanks! RBD Decals are the same as Moose Republic Decals, they (he) recently changed the company name. Make sure that you get the second edition with right roundel size, the best way is to order direct from them: http://www.mooserepublic.se/ 

6 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Not being able to resist a microscopic nit pick, the meticulously restored Sw AF Museum PR Mk XIX/S 31 has the oxygen tanks behind the seat bulkhead painted in black and white…

Beautiful S 31, Björn!

Thanks! Actually, I knew that, but I read a thread on Britmodeller (I think) stating that they actually were more in different kinds of grey, like this: 

oxy-bottle-1-large.jpg

...so after the picture was taken, I re-painted them this way. The Flygvapenmuseum one had either re-painted ones or a more recent version, can't remember. However, right or wrong, they are almost invisible anyway...

4 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Thanks! RBD Decals are the same as Moose Republic Decals, they (he) recently changed the company name. Make sure that you get the second edition with right roundel size, the best way is to order direct from them: http://www.mooserepublic.se/ 

Thanks! Actually, I knew that, but I read a thread on Britmodeller (I think) stating that they actually were more in different kinds of grey, like this: 

oxy-bottle-1-large.jpg

...so after the picture was taken, I re-painted them this way. The Flygvapenmuseum one had either re-painted ones or a more recent version, can't remember. However, right or wrong, they are almost invisible anyway...

They're definitely invisible to anybody except a pigeon or a monkey, since the Museum decided to hang her in the ceiling! Much to the joy of those concerned with the accuracy of the underwing radiators, but many others were not amused…

• Like 1

Thank You for the tip Björn! I will contact Mooserepublic as I have two J26s on the bench as well. The other one will be Lambert-Mueller's Mustang in which he conducted the very first photo mission against Dagö.

Did you know that you can get some great original manuals for loan from Flygvapenmuseum library? The process is easy; I got the Tp52 (Canberra) manuals shipped to Finland with less than 100€. Next I'm going to ask for the S31 manuals. And Axelsson's excellent book about S31 also.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

Hello,Bjorn - My full compliments to you on your superb builds of the 'Spitfire' and 'Mosquito'.

I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work on them both and commend the restrained weathering.I built the 'Spitfire' in Swedish Markings(not as good as yours!😢) and the simple 'elegance' of the PRU Blue and Swedish Insignia really appealed to me.

Great work indeed.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

They're definitely invisible to anybody except a pigeon or a monkey, since the Museum decided to hang her in the ceiling! Much to the joy of those concerned with the accuracy of the underwing radiators, but many others were not amused…

In fact, I meant invisible on my model. But you are of course right about the Flygvapenmuseum Spitfire, it is a pity that such a rare object is so hard to see these dags.