Trident question

FLCH

I listed the following points in a  post back on 21 June - 

•  
) the shape of the centre engine air intake is not quite right and could do with a bit of reprofiling

ii) the nose wheel on the real Trident was offset to one side and retracted sideways into the nosewheel bay. Airfix incorrectly placed the wheel in the centre (like a normal airliner). This is an easy fix as all you have to do is fill the incorrect location hole and drill out a new one in the right place

iii) the wing root fairings on the trailing edge of the wings were different on each side. Airfix have them identical.

iv) the Trident has slight dihedral on the outer two thirds of the wings. Airfix omitted this feature.

v) the wing fences need relocating ( a common problem on Airfix airliners)

v) the flight deck windows are a poor fit and don't give a very good rendition of the rather unique window arrangement used on the Trident. If you are using decals for the flight deck and cabin windows, the poor cockpit glazing isn't going to be of any importance.

vi) the wingtips may need extending. Later versions of the Trident (the 1E, 2E and 3B) all had extended wing tips. I'm not sure if Airfix's depiction of the wings is 100% accurate for a 1C. If you are do intend to build a 1E or 2E then the wing tips would definitely need extending. The 1E and 2E had the same fuselage length as the 1C. Their main upgrade was in engine power and differing cockpit layouts - which varied from customer to customer.

The APU of the Trident 1C was originally located under the centre fuselage. It turned out that this was not such a good idea as the jet exhaust was a bit close to people working around the aircraft on the ramp and the exhaust also impinged on the ramp surface. It was decided to move it to a new location in a streamlined fairing at the base of the tail fin.

Even though I have the F-RSIN 3B, I haven't really examined it in detail. Because it is a much more recent kit I would expect that it is overall more true to the real Trident 3B than Airfix's 1C was to the actual 1C. Obviously, it is technically a short run kit so will have other issues to contend with. It sounds like it does feature the wing dihedral omitted by Airfix.

As I'm sure you know, the 3B featured the RB162 boost engine in the tail. This meant the APU had to be moved to a new position (again), which was in the centre engine intake with the exhaust venting upwards.

This thread is superb for Trident info, especially form @skippiebg  input.  Unfortunately most of the images have gone due to Photobucket hosting

Nice info in the post above.  I must admit that I didn't think that there was an anhedral/dihedral change across the wing span, more a visual effect from the very slight leading edge kink and thickness changes in the wing, can any one elaborate further?

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, 71chally said:

can any one elaborate further?

I can't think of any airliner apart from really early things that don't change in thickness and profile shape somewhere. The taper start from the wing root.  Note the walk round jet is missing 15 foot of Main plane!

• 3 months later...