Swiss Mirage IIIRS 1/32 Italeri

Flyingdutchman

So here we go! Finally the Mirage GB is there. Waited for a long time :). In my stash I have this 1/32 Mirage III and the 1/48 Mirage III (SEA) box. Despite the time frame which for me means 'pressure' I did not choose my Mirage 1/48. As a reader on Britmodeller I especially enjoy builds which are kits that are rarely seen. So this time it's my turn to do so.

The Italeri Mirage III box is huge and I bought back in November. I opened it a few times to look at the sprues. Italeri did a good job on the kit and there is a small PE-fret supplied too. Although I ordered 1/32 decals to make an Australian IIIO I have seen that it needs a fair bit of modification, and thus I've choosen to make a Swiss Mirage IIIRS. The recce version. The only thin I need to do is scratch build to canard wings of which I have a drawing in 1/32 scale.

Matterhorn decals released a new comprehensive sheet covering basically all the verson flow with the Swiss Air Force. The decals were orderd to day so they should be arriving somewhere within the next two weeks.

So what I'm aiming for looks like this:

MIIIRSspecialmkings.jpg

© Airscene.co.uk

Some photos of the kit:

34615840073_ae21930355_k.jpgIMG_3631

Boxart

34615838583_5af1b46601_b.jpg

Content

34615836593_0b3a95827a_b.jpg

Huge decal sheets

35259077912_14c75e61cf_b.jpg

Small PE-fret

35259084982_13522e0190_b.jpg

Clear parts

35259080742_d2341a2cf7_b.jpg

Pretty nice OOB details

35259074032_4602cb829c_b.jpg

The tub

34615827903_657d055f7e_b.jpg

Nose gear bay details

34583650264_516ddb3d60_b.jpg

Wheels

34615825213_3a4d3cbffe_b.jpg

Camera parts for the IIIRS nose

34615824093_5a762c2703_b.jpg

Wing surface details

34615822583_a1a8d253ac_b.jpg

And finally the engine

35259056612_56906b3b18_b.jpg

So now wait for saturday to actually start on the Mirage, till then I'm still collecting as much info an pictures as I can.

Cheers, Evert

Edited by Flyingdutchman
  • Like 9

Wow that's going to be a big build.

I took loads of photos of the 2 Swiss Mirage at the Musee Europeen de l'Aviation de Chasse in Montelimar last October they have that a/c 2103 there and its in those markings.

If I can help just ask.

Paul

• Like 1

Evert,

Thank you for choosing a Swiss jet and the 1/32nd Italeri kit certainly looks impressive.

Welcome to the GB.

• Like 1

Evert, fantastic choice! I have contemplated converting the Italeri kit for a while now into a IIIS (many things similar IIIRS) and admire you actually taking it on :thumbsup2:. The Matterhorn sheets are superb btw, some of the best decals I have seen, they should make your build a stunner.

Not sure how 'rivet counter' you want to be with your build but there are a few more mods over just canards that would be required to fully convert a IIIR into a IIIRS. The hardest is probably the extended front nose gear assembly, IIRC the Italeri kit doesn't have the lengthened gear bay and front leg/fork. There was a great Swiss Mirage reference online once, unfortunately I cannot find it now, but luckily I made a pdf of it and can send it to you if you like? It includes things like the canard dimensions etc...also the other mods that you can choose to totally ignore or have a go at. Whatever way you go I really look forward to your build, Swiss Mirages are the best imho!

This build could be of help here of a 1/32 (Revell) IIIRS: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=27348 . I know I will use that one a lot! 

Cheers,

David

Thank you for you comments!

10 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Evert, fantastic choice! I have contemplated converting the Italeri kit for a while now into a IIIS (many things similar IIIRS) and admire you actually taking it on :thumbsup2:. The Matterhorn sheets are superb btw, some of the best decals I have seen, they should make your build a stunner.

Not sure how 'rivet counter' you want to be with your build but there are a few more mods over just canards that would be required to fully convert a IIIR into a IIIRS. The hardest is probably the extended front nose gear assembly, IIRC the Italeri kit doesn't have the lengthened gear bay and front leg/fork. There was a great Swiss Mirage reference online once, unfortunately I cannot find it now, but luckily I made a pdf of it and can send it to you if you like? It includes things like the canard dimensions etc...also the other mods that you can choose to totally ignore or have a go at. Whatever way you go I really look forward to your build, Swiss Mirages are the best imho!

This build could be of help here of a 1/32 (Revell) IIIRS: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=27348 . I know I will use that one a lot! 

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. I've build numerous Mirages and this was on my list for a long time. I read goo reviews about the Matterhorn decals so I'm glad you share those experiences.

Well I'm not a real rivet counter but when it's ok by the looks it's ok for me. So that means that I will be modifying the nose wheel. I saw in video that the IIIRS leans a bit to it's back I think that's because they used to hid them in the mountains in Buouchs. Italeri has only one nose-gear supplied. But a small modification must do the trick. Although I'm not sure how much long the strut is do know you know that?

The LSP link is great! I will have a close look a the topic to see what was needed to make the IIIRS.

And PM inbound for the PDF.

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Is the link I posted in the reference thread any help?

The Flickr groups mentioned in the reference thread are of great help!

Cheers Evert

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wez said:

Is the link I posted in the reference thread any help?

Yes Wez. For some reason the link refused to load the images so I thought it was broken, seems to work fine now for me oddly!

The content was made by Jean-Paul Poiseroux, a member of BM. I asked some specific Mirage questions (and that canalblog page) in the linked topic below. It probably is worthwhile contacting him for some more specific information if he can help.

13 hours ago, Flyingdutchman said:

Thank you for you comments!

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. I've build numerous Mirages and this was on my list for a long time. I read goo reviews about the Matterhorn decals so I'm glad you share those experiences.

Well I'm not a real rivet counter but when it's ok by the looks it's ok for me. So that means that I will be modifying the nose wheel. I saw in video that the IIIRS leans a bit to it's back I think that's because they used to hid them in the mountains in Buouchs. Italeri has only one nose-gear supplied. But a small modification must do the trick. Although I'm not sure how much long the strut is do know you know that?

The LSP link is great! I will have a close look a the topic to see what was needed to make the IIIRS.

And PM inbound for the PDF.

The Flickr groups mentioned in the reference thread are of great help!

Cheers Evert

Yes the extended leg/fork pitched up the nose, depressing the tail, so the vertical stab could fit in the tunnels IIRC, quite a novel idea.

According to the information given by Jean-Paul Poiseroux the extension was 30cm for the IIIRS, though this is just a general dimension and no more specifics. I was going to use good reference images and take measurements and scale factors off them to try and replicate it, very much 'if it looks close enough it is good to go' approach :). Also very much guided by the LSP forum IIIRS build I linked before, that guy did an amazing job on his. 

The best information I have seen, which Wez linked in the reference thread (the one I saved as a pdf) is this one by Jean-Paul Poiseroux:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150423093419/http://replic.canalblog.com/

Hopefully it may answer some questions or contacting Jean-Paul Poiseroux may be even more help. I never started my build because of no decals at that time. In the meantime however Kinetic did announce they would release a 1/32 Mirage IIIE series and if it follows the same path as their 1/48 releases, a 1/32 IIIS/RS may be on the cards, though it could be years away...not sure I can hold out that long so will probably do the Italeri kit conversion too when I can.

Anyways I look forward to your build Evert :)

David

Edited by mirageiv

I've started with the build. Last saturday the decals (already) arrived. Well packed and men they are lovely!!!

The decals:

35509689815_49f7c89263_b.jpg

Masks

34668540884_3ff22209aa_c.jpg

As in many build I don't quite follow the book. Main reason is I'm alway preparing the parts which need to be glued trying to get a minimum seam and thus hopefully not to much putty.

First things up was a list of modifications needed. Thanks to the link in the reference thread I've mad that list. But als important is the main IP. The Italeri kits provides a typical IIIE panel and not your typical IIIR or IIIRS panel. I don't have a punch and die set so alternatives are used.

Real thing

mirage3.JPG

The one italeri provided (fitted in the tub)

35470375606_66e688a3ea_c.jpg

So what I want to change is the lower radar and upper directional indicator.

Some work done on a Evergreen sheet

35554396835_d9d46abb99_b.jpg

Next was the nose, the real thing opens like this

8435354331_cb46c351f3_b.jpg

© Flickr.com

So I want to do that with the model too

Step 1; using a brass 0.3mm rod

35379168451_4f4a082730_c.jpg

35424185471_046aae2a86_c.jpg

35386755662_3b8d48448d_c.jpg

34745616553_284feeab80_b.jpg

And I partly assembled the front gear bay

34713408534_5bca04d4c4_b.jpg

That's it for now

Cheers, Evert

Edited by Flyingdutchman
  • Like 4

Good start Evert.

Such a pity Italeri didn't provide a correct IP for the recce versions but you seem to have overcome that particular problem.

I'm impressed with the decals and masks too.

Looking forward to your next update.

nice one.....

If I may how does this boxing differ from the original BOXING......I got it pretty cheap as the bloke did some minor work on it...........my original plan was to get your boxing to build a IIIO....are the different parts on one spure ? if so I might order that spure from Italeri..........

Most of it looks the same..................hope to see more progress as you go on...........

rgds

On 27-6-2017 at 8:54 AM, Wez said:

Good start Evert.

Such a pity Italeri didn't provide a correct IP for the recce versions but you seem to have overcome that particular problem.

I'm impressed with the decals and masks too.

Looking forward to your next update.

I will post more pictures this weekend. I've learned with this build I must constantly check my refs because the Italeri instructions are confusing. Especially regarding antennas and the tail.

The recce IP sure is pitty, especially because you can build both an IIIR and a IIIE which have obvious different IP's. But I'll solve this ^_^

On 29-6-2017 at 1:06 AM, Mr B said:

nice one.....

If I may how does this boxing differ from the original BOXING......I got it pretty cheap as the bloke did some minor work on it...........my original plan was to get your boxing to build a IIIO....are the different parts on one spure ? if so I might order that spure from Italeri..........

Most of it looks the same..................hope to see more progress as you go on...........

rgds

As far as I know there only 1 boxing. The IIIC 1/32 was released a whole lot earlier. I bought the IIIE 1/32 back in October only a few week after it was available. But nevertheless you could be right! If you're planning to build an IIIO there are quite some modifications to be done. Hatches, antenna's, tail boom, chaff/flare. If you want to build the 1/32 IIIO I would recommend this thread. Eric has put A LOT of effort in replicating a realistic IIIO.

Cheers, Evert

58 minutes ago, Flyingdutchman said:

As far as I know there only 1 boxing. The IIIC 1/32 was released a whole lot earlier. I bought the IIIE 1/32 back in October only a few week after it was available. But nevertheless you could be right! If you're planning to build an IIIO there are quite some modifications to be done. Hatches, antenna's, tail boom, chaff/flare. If you want to build the 1/32 IIIO I would recommend this thread. Eric has put A LOT of effort in replicating a realistic IIIO.

Cheers, Evert

Cheers evert. What I ment was I got the IIIc boxing.....sorry and yes I have seen Eric's work....that was one of the reasons to tackle one my self.....so motivating.....thanks for the heads up.......yr build is also looking great....hope to see it done soon....might just build an Israeli c after all :)

best regards

brian

• 1 month later...

Yes we are still in the game! Summer holidays are finished, kids back to school so everything back to normal. Got the Mirage back on the bench and started with the intakes and wheel bays.

Two main wheel bays and the forward/nose wheel bay. I used Mr. Paint Zinc chromate as a base. Next step is paint brushing details and tubes.

36105001553_4ab06807c1_b.jpg

Detailing with steel the pipes. Some pipes will bee copper color. Despite 1/32 it still is a job which needs carefull brush painting.

36078829724_73cd28070e_b.jpg

Intakes sprayed with AK Aluminium

36078834934_98516436b0_b.jpg

36105007993_1fcff3266a_b.jpg

Soon more on the cockpit.

Cheers, Evert

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Remy said:

Good to be back at the bench Evert!

Was it not easier to detail paint the NLG before assembly? Or did you not glue it yet?

Remy.

Hi Remy,

Well I thought about that for some time. But the seems were too big so I first had to glue than use some filler and paint it. I was not easy but still the best option.

Cheers. Evert

Construction continues:

Wheel bay on the inside (this is where the top wing will be glued onto) Airbrake also fitted

37098227685_aef3886070_b.jpg

Other side. The airbrake nicely fits into it's position. The main strut has te be positioned already at this phase of the build.

36956640181_0c10b5de2f_b.jpg

Nose gear bay

36956642151_d7abd47bfa_b.jpg

One of the main wheel bays. The Swiss mirage has a combination of white alu wheel bays and this kinda zinc chromate look.

36927749172_98f7737b4d_b.jpg

Nose gear bay dry fitted onto the underside of the fuselage. Seemless fit.

36956646621_3ca3aced26_b.jpg

Cheers, Evert

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another update

The cockpit is getting shape. The cockpit has some artistic freedom regarding the dials and their positions, because there's no R/RS panel.

37176946171_c0fc94f2a2_b.jpg

Another look at the cockpit.

37176946771_c2149cde21_b.jpg

Scratch building the canard.

36922089540_57f91b4b11_b.jpg

I added the fuselage parts last night so I hope to add those photos soon.

Cheers, Evert

• Like 2

Thank for the comments!

The green is indeed very special. I used Humbrol 80 (green metallic) for it. On the photos my bright LED-lamp is making almost turqoise but it's a bit darker.

I don't know why the Swiss opted for the green cockpit, they're definately the only Mirage III user with this color.

The real cockpit looks like this:

05.jpg

© Google.com / images

Fuselage is put together last night so this weekend more updates on this weeks progress.

Evert

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work Evert, the bays and the cockpit look superb, watching with great interest :thumbsup2:  Do you know how you will position the new canards? Looks tricky to get right.  I'm slowly acquiring the parts for my IIIS 'late' and this will be my 'go to' build when I get round to it.

cheers,

David. 

Unfortunately I did not make it to complete this beauty in time for the GB. Maybe the time frame was too short for me to build the 1/32 kit ^_^.

Will finish it but outside the GB. Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Evert