Academy 1/72 MIG-27 - Complete!

The camo is really nice. What do you use for nose weight? And where and how will you get it in? I ask as if build a mig-29 forgetting the weight and I'd like to build it wheels down but can't think how I'd get weight in now so it doesn't tail sit. 

Nice build, cheers 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

The camo is really nice. What do you use for nose weight? And where and how will you get it in? I ask as if build a mig-29 forgetting the weight and I'd like to build it wheels down but can't think how I'd get weight in now so it doesn't tail sit. 

Nice build, cheers 

With this kit once the seat was out the way it is pretty easy to get weight down into the nose, I usually use a lead substitute. I get it in sheets that are usually sold for aquarium plant weights which are easy to cut up and then I usually melt it down into a single lump that I beat into shape with a small hammer and slide into the nose. Liquid Gravity is pretty good stuff too by Deluxe Materials, its loads of tiny shot, tip them into the corner of a small thin poly bag and slot that into place. 

In the past when I have forgotten to load up a nose I have drilled a hole in the vertical wall of a front wheel well and slid small rods/slithers I have made from the lead substitute in through the hole whilst the plane is clamped nose down to let gravity pull them as far down the nose as they can go, I then put a couple of drops of glue through the hole and left overnight and filled the drill hole the next day and painted but it was quite risky, and there was the risk of the glue or the weight reacting with the plastic and ruining the model and this still may happen over time but in the mean time it worked and was less drastic than cutting the nose off and reattaching, filling and painting.    

Speaking of the lead substitute sheet I actually used the lead substitute to make the back cushion for the newly detailed seat, the seatbelts are PE from the spares box and the ejection pull loop is bent styrene rod. I also added a back to the seat using acetate sheet, and then fettled a bulkhead for the rear of the cockpit from styrene/plasticard sheet. I have also since this pic was taken made rails on the back of the seat that will be used to attach the seat to the new bulkhead. 

36014667260_039be60260_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a while since my last update but the good news is I haven't been slacking. She's nearlyready for her final reveal but in the mean time here's a couple more pics, this time of some weapons. I decided to use the kit UB-32 launchers (think thats what they're meant to be anyway!) so to trin and make them a little more presentable I drilled out the back end of the launcher and used a couple of spare decals from my UB-16s

36150521874_8f7c8d57c3_b.jpg

36798650716_58fd95d0b4_b.jpg

I have also used what few decals the kit came with too on the rest of her, and started the weathering process, nothing too heavy, although I do want to dirty up around the flare dispensers a little more and take the shine off the external fuel tank, then its just install the clear parts (including the retractable taxi lights which I still have'nt put in) and I think she will be about done.

36150513834_bedec5a78f_b.jpg

• Like 1

Well she's done, I will get the photo's uploaded when I get home from work. Pity I didn't get her done sooner, I wanted to enter a 2nd build but as usual life gets in the way of what we want to do. I know its a poor kit of the subject but I enjoyed building it and that's all the matters to me.

• Like 1

Great job. Looks very business like with all the weapon fitted.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:43 PM, Synopsis said:

Well she's done, I will get the photo's uploaded when I get home from work. Pity I didn't get her done sooner, I wanted to enter a 2nd build but as usual life gets in the way of what we want to do. I know its a poor kit of the subject but I enjoyed building it and that's all the matters to me.

Don't forget to add the pictures of the finished model to the gallery and one or two here as well.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 1 year later...