Revell (ex-Italeri) Sd.Kfz. 184 Elefant 1 /35

I couldn't resist and got Revell's rebox of the classic Italeri Elefant as soon as it came out this year. It's a kit I always wanted to build. So, I just finished it today. All in all a good kit the late 1960's molds seem to be fine. Good fit and reasonable detail. The vehicle itself is though a bit inaccurate as it has features of both a Ferdinand and an Elefant version. I tried to address some of these issues by moving the jack to the back of the tank and adding a spare track piece to the front glacis. I used simple round Evergreen rods to simulate the water drips (is that what it's called?) on the front of the casemate.

dsc04489.jpg

dsc04491.jpg

dsc04492.jpg

dsc04496.jpg

dsc04497.jpg

dsc04498.jpg

dsc04499.jpg

With original commander - I am not a good figure painter!

dsc04501.jpg

• Like 9

A fine looking build and a good job on the camo and weathering. The chipping and streaking are excellent, not too overdone.

The 'rain drips' are probably better described as 'rain channels' or 'gutters', IF that's why they were placed there for. I say IF, because I can't see much point of having them there to be honest.

Oh, and it's an SPG, not a tank, but hey....

I'd love to see this beast in a diorama. What are the chances of that?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Nice to see such a fine build and camo paint job,like the way you have done the tracks very realistic and weathering,I have an early Italeri Kit of same subject can't wait to start mine now after seeing your fine work,Thanks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Badder said:

A fine looking build and a good job on the camo and weathering. The chipping and streaking are excellent, not too overdone.

The 'rain drips' are probably better described as 'rain channels' or 'gutters', IF that's why they were placed there for. I say IF, because I can't see much point of having them there to be honest.

Oh, and it's an SPG, not a tank, but hey....

I'd love to see this beast in a diorama. What are the chances of that?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you!

I haven't got any experience with dioramas, although I'd like to try that, too. On the other hand, time and space are the limiting factors!

Well, they are gutters and keep the water from dripping into the engine compartment. Between the armour plate and the engine deck there are a couple of hinges. So, in the real verhicle there are quite big gaps.

I won't go down the slippery slope of an argument about the semantics of SPG though :ner:

Rearguards!

Edited by Cheezburger
spelling
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nice looking model, especially taking note of the age. Personally I probably blend those white streaks bit more. 

Thanks a lot!

The harshness of colours is actually due to the camera flash. In natural light they are much more subtle. Actually if I'd blend the some more now, they'd be gone.

Although, I admit I have to get a proper light tent and stuff to take better pictures.

Cheers!

Just now, Cheezburger said:

Between the armour plate and the engine deck there are a couple of hinges. So, in the real verhicle there are quite big gaps.

Hi Cheez, or should I call you Burger?

I did see the engine 'grills'etc, but if you ask me, a simple 'rim' around the hatches/grills would have kept MORE water out. Those sloping gutters are only stopping rainwater that hits the vertical armour plate, and THEN only rainwater that hits the upper half. Any rainwater hitting the lower half isn't channelled away, and any hitting the horizontal surface isn't channelled away either. As I said, I wasn't sure what they were for, and even now I think they were a bit 'ad-hoc' and not the best solution.

I'd be thinking rubber seals, and/or raised rims around the hatches/grills would have been far better.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Very nice ,the commander looks ok ,the faces on my figures tend to look like nick griffen .

Working on the Italeri boxing of the kit ,going in another diorama NOT ANOTHER ONE ,i hear someone cry ,abandoned with some Dragon Italian campaign British infantry strolling by .

• Like 1

On 19.6.2017 at 6:06 PM, Badder said:

As I said, I wasn't sure what they were for, and even now I think they were a bit 'ad-hoc' and not the best solution.

You might be right there. But that would fit with the rest of the vehicle which was also a bit ad-hoc and not the best solution.:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...