Mosquito colours

gluefinger

Hello,

I'm building Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito as the recently rebuilt KA114.  It seems to be overall Medium Sea Grey with Dark Green over top.  Was this a common variation on the Ocean Grey, Dark Green and MSG?

Dave

Not only common but standard for night fighters and fighter bombers.  By this stage of the war Mosquitos on the Hatfield production line were painted with either PRU Blue or MSG/DG, to speed production.  It was then up to a Maintenance Unit to add other colours if so requested by the Command the aircraft was destined to go to.   A few of the fighter bombers did appear in the Mosquito Day Bomber Scheme, (which was the Day Fighter Scheme) but this was an error on the part of a Maintenance Unit.

KA114 being a Canadian-built aircraft may have differed: I don't know its history.

• Like 1

While its serial may have been KA114, I believe that it is not painted as that aircraft which afaik, never left Canada, but is painted as an aircraft from 487(NZ) sqn RAF. The DG over MSG was more common among the aircraft of this unit but not totally so, the very famous EG-T of Airfix kit fame was DG/OG/MSG.

Steve.

Thanks for everyone's help.  My interest in KA114 has a personal element.  My dad worked in fuselage assembly at DHC when 114 was built and possibly worked on it.  When 114 debuted in Canada I took him to see it fly, that was the last outing I had with him before he passed on.

Dave

• Like 5