BAC 111-207 British Eagle - 1:144 Airfix

BAC 111-207 British Eagle 

1:144 Airfix with Classic-airlines.com decals

eagle5.jpg

I picked up this vintage Airfix BAC 111 at this years Cosford show for £10, in the British Caledonian boxing. Finding this decal sheet at www.classic-airlines.com

I just had to have it, and started building immediately.

The kit isn't bad but requires a few basic corrections as it was based on the early prototype, and the first production examples that went into service with British United.

1. The nose is too blunt, so was built up with Milliput and given a more pointed shape.
  2. The wing fences aligned with the outer flap track need removing, and new ones installed further inboard.
  3.  The leading edge landing lights need to be filled in, I rescribed the wings as well.
  4. An APU exhaust needs to be installed at the base of the rudder.
  5. Refined the shape of the rear cowlings, blending in the 'ring' exhaust to a smoother shape.

Careful masking was needed to get a thin white line under the 'cheat line' and the decals needed care in application, but worked beautifully.

I really enjoy building these vintage Airfix airliners, especially when I can put them into long gone liveries that I remember from my childhood.  Ok, they are not to the standard of the stunning Authentic Airliners resin kits, but are still very enjoyable!

eagle1.jpg

eagle2.jpg

eagle3.jpg

eagle6.jpg

eagle4.jpg

And finally... with the F-Rsin Bristol Britannia;

eagle8.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 54

Fantastic! You've done a great job - shows what can be done with these old kits. I love the airliners of this era - would like to build a few of these, but when I see the prices online put me off - well done for finding one for a tenner! Wish they'd re-release it - can't see it happening though.

• Like 1

Hi John,

You've certainly nailed the shape of the nose, not too sharp not too blunt. I'd never have guessed it wasn't an AA kit!

I wish I hadn't just got rid of my Airfix 1-11, I've even got the Maxdecal Aer Lingus sheet for it.:doh:

Chris was meant to be doing one of these British Eagle 1-11's, don't know what's happened to it though.

Keep up the good work! What's next?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Chris was meant to be doing one of these British Eagle 1-11's, don't know what's happened to it though.

Ian

It's still here Ian although having seen John's masterpiece it looks as though it's going to be here for some time to come.

I had intended to do the same scheme but I had better look to something different now.. I have a few schemes in mind but will keep the final choice to myself in case that bloody Viking decides he likes the same scheme and jumps in with another superb build.

Joking aside though, that really is another little beauty John.

Chris

That is absolutely stunning. I really like the fact that you sorted the nose shape out without recourse to aftermarket parts. It shows it can be done.

That is a real inspiration.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed.

As others have already mentioned,  you've moved the rather basic Airfix kit on to a new higher level of accuracy. British Eagle and it's various guises seems to be all the rage at the moment - this lovely 1-11, Ian the Turbofans great Britannia (and yours too), Stringbag Chris is working on a British Eagle 1-11 and I'm putting the finishing touches to a Minicraft DC-6 to be finished as Eagle Airways. We really should flood this section with beautiful airliner models and do our best to encourage others to join us - so much nicer than just another Spitfire...

Very nice build John, thank you so much for posting it.

Jeff 

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

We really should flood this section with beautiful airliner models and do our best to encourage others to join us - so much nicer than just another Spitfire.

Jeff 

I couldn't agree more Jeff, in fact I have a minor deluge myself, set to be released over the next few months!

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 2

Hello,John - Its always a pleasure to view and admire your airliner builds and this delightful BAC 'One-Eleven' is no exception.

Beautifully built and finished she looks superb alongside the 'Britannia'.Both wearing the 'British Eagle Airways' Livery,they're a splendid reminder of the halcyon days of British commercial aircraft.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

John! :cheers:

Your build brought back so many good memories to me; always liked the awful noise this aircraft made when flying over my head. I was a five-year-old toddler when my mum would take me to the domestic airport in Buenos Aires, and we saw it take off back in '93. That was the year Austral Líneas Aéreas decommissioned it from duty. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind comments, as always it is much appreciated.

On 17/06/2017 at 11:03 PM, Skodadriver said:

Any plans for a -475 to complete the set?  :winkgrin:

Now you've got me thinking Dave, that hadn't occured to me but I think you are right, it needs doing!

On 18/06/2017 at 0:48 AM, Turbofan said:

Keep up the good work! What's next?

Ian, I believe Chris is planning to finish his 1-11 in time to celebrate Shergars' next race at Epsom.:P

I enjoyed doing this one so much, I got another and started it;

eagle9.jpg

The thing was, looking at Nick Webbs site when I chose the British Eagle scheme, something happened to my computer mouse. I think it malfunctioned because it kept putting stuff in my 'shopping cart', and I found out that I had bought these as well

eagle10.jpg

Well, how could I not choose these, I'd only squander my cash on food, petrol, clothes, and stuff like that.:lol:

Cheers

John

• Like 6