Persian Thunder...1/48 F-86F "Shamshir" Imperial Iranian Airforce

My dad has overseen a hole for a part you don´t need with this version on the belly in the area of the red stripe. So before applying it he had to do some filling, sanding and repainting.

DSC_0005_zpswcav0jgg.jpg

• Like 3

tricky decals, too thin, tend to wrap when pulling them off the carrier paper and on the model they tend to shrink

some stencils are provided on the sheet, the rest will come from the Revell kit

DSC_0001_zpsakhrp6hz.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Reini,

great work on the Sabre!!!!

Just read on your Alijet tread that you are using bombs from the Academy Sabre.

As the IIAF F-86F were fighter bombers, they were equipped with an additional pylon used for bombs, napalm and unguided rocket pods during their late career ( i.e. when camouflaged).

If you have the Academy kit, you could use the bomb pylons on the Iranian bird as they were practically always installed.

There is even a film showing a simulated napalm attack performed by Iranian Sabres during the U.S.-Iranian Delawar maneuver in front of foreign delegations.

Here a similarly equipped USAF bird: https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/f86ff.jpg

Greetings

Diego

43 minutes ago, Diego said:

Hello Reini,

great work on the Sabre!!!!

Just read on your Alijet tread that you are using bombs from the Academy Sabre.

As the IIAF F-86F were fighter bombers, they were equipped with an additional pylon used for bombs, napalm and unguided rocket pods during their late career ( i.e. when camouflaged).

If you have the Academy kit, you could use the bomb pylons on the Iranian bird as they were practically always installed.

There is even a film showing a simulated napalm attack performed by Iranian Sabres during the U.S.-Iranian Delawar maneuver in front of foreign delegations.

Here a similarly equipped USAF bird: https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/f86ff.jpg

Greetings

Diego

I played with that thought too...well, gonna suggest it to my father, let´s see..

washing done

around the nose ring rivet it got a bit too intense so my dad removed the wash, silghtly the paint came off too, but let´s say the paint chipped and the primer or initial metal dress shines through

DSC_0001_zpsfq29xxha.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsugvjbbye.jpg

• Like 6

Reini ... ive been meaning to ask and maybe ive missed this. Was  your Father in the Iranian Air force ? Or is this just a Favored subject to model ? Your Father seems very knowledgable on the subject. Im asking because i dont often see Iranian Aircraft modeled here in the US. I think they get a very bad rap because of the 1979 incident. I feel thats a shame since they existed before the fall of the Shah, and used quite the extensive catalogue of types.

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Reini ... ive been meaning to ask and maybe ive missed this. Was  your Father in the Iranian Air force ? Or is this just a Favored subject to model ? Your Father seems very knowledgable on the subject. Im asking because i dont often see Iranian Aircraft modeled here in the US. I think they get a very bad rap because of the 1979 incident. I feel thats a shame since they existed before the fall of the Shah, and used quite the extensive catalogue of types.

No, my parents are Austrian. The first husband of my mother was Iranian and had a relative in the IIAF, therefore my dad and I decided to do some Iranian stuff. Initially he only wanted to build a Phantom, but I could convince him to do some more.

That´s right, Iranian aircraft aren´t build that often and when, it´s usually Phantoms or Tomcats. Maybe the "good guys turned bad" thing is a reason but then look at how many German WW2 stuff is built.....

I think a problem is that there aren´t many decal sources too. Iranian naval aircraft would look good too in their blue-ish camo, but sadly no decals in 1/48. As far as I know in 1/72 there are some more available decals.

• Like 1