Sherman II 'El Alamein'

This is a great kit which you will no doubt enjoy building. I built it a few years ago when it first came out. Terry Ashley  over on PMMS has a good in depth review which you may find useful.

John.

Good start. I see that the filters has a little bit worse design then Dragon's one. They are split in the half vertically when Dragon's are horizontally. That not have then an odd seam to repair.

Today's work - first everyone's fave, wheel painting

P1010901.JPG

Then a Gloss coat, followed by the decals to reveal which sherman i'm building

P1010902.JPG

P1010903.JPG

Followed by a satin coat

Peter

Edited by Peter Marshall
Switched photobucket links
  • Like 4

If it is not to late and you wanna think about it i will suggest to paint the the metal parts of tools in black and then drybrush metalizer over them. IMO the silver tools do not look good. But it is only suggestion.

1 minute ago, Kris B said:

If it is not to late and you wanna think about it i will suggest to paint the the metal parts of tools in black and then drybrush metalizer over them. IMO the silver tools do not look good. But it is only suggestion.

They ain't finished yet - Ammo Steel is way too bright but is ok as a starting base

You're probably going to hate me for this, but I think, after reading an article by Steve Zaloga, that when these tanks arrived in N.Africa they were in olive drab. When the workshops repainted them, the lower hull (and the VVSS) remained in OD and it was just the upper hull which received the new colours.

John.

25 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

You're probably going to hate me for this, but I think, after reading an article by Steve Zaloga, that when these tanks arrived in N.Africa they were in olive drab. When the workshops repainted them, the lower hull (and the VVSS) remained in OD and it was just the upper hull which received the new colours.

John.

John, was that true generally, or just of Shermans?

42 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

Well that's probably true of the first batch which were redirected from US Armoured divisions, however this one is both later, and attached to the Kiwi's so all bets are off. There will be bailing wire holding everything together, and more stowage than little yellow storage :-). The only photo's i've found of the 9th Armd Bde at this time shows the lower hulls with the same contrast (B&W Photos) as the light uppers