MiniArt Divisional Artillery 1/35

We, in the west, can, perhaps, be forgiven for forgetting that the horse was significant factor in WWII.  The British army started mechanisation of their cavalry regiments in 1928, and only two regular cavalry regiments retained their horses following the outbreak of WWII.  German, and to a lesser extent, Russian propaganda promoted their modern, mechanised, image over the antiquated quadruped,

Ever since playing Avalon Hill's PanzerBlitz (a long time ago), I've been aware that both the German and Russian armies used vast numbers of horses in WWII.  So, when I learned of this kit, I wanted to have a go ...

2017div_art_01.jpg

The crew, as supplied, have a mix of Mosin-Nagant rifles, carbines, and PPSh41 sub-machine-guns.

Some online reviews suggest that the PPSh41 is is wrong for artillery.  Googling around, I have found some individual artillery crew members with a PPSG41, but they are unusual in photos.

Anyway, I've supplemented the set with one of these:

2017div_art_02.jpg

The sniper rifles can be built as 'ordinary' pieces.

I'm not over keen on the horse positions - yes, I can build four distinct positions OOB, but the leg positions are still very similar.  I'll have a think about options...

The required photo of box contents:

2017div_art_03.jpg

At the back you can see the packet of infantry weapons.

MiniArt are very good at showing the parts for their kits, you can see the individual sprues here: http://miniart-models.com/index.htm?/35045.htm

The illustration and instructions are for the 75mm ZiS-3 (or 76.2mm).  Also present are parts the 57mm ZiS-2 which was considered too powerful early in the war, but, apparently, returned to favour following the appearance of Panther and Tiger tanks.

{edit}

P.S. I haven't forgotten m cossacks

{/edit}

• Like 2

Thanks Stix, Peter

I have some progress to report

Starting with stage 19, the limber ...

2017div_art_09.jpg

2017div_art_11.jpg

2017div_art_12.jpg

Since taking those photos, I've moved a board at the front of the limber, it looked wrong, and checking MiniArt's site, it should be resting at an angle - that may show up later.

I've also decided to use swap two of the horses for these ...

2017div_art_13.jpg

They are Dragon's German Cossacks.

• Like 2

A progress shot ...

2017div_art_15.jpg

Wheels coming together.  You might, just, see there's a difference between the limber hubs above the cannon hubs.

I've made a start on the gun trail and on the cradle.

The horses will want some work - the ones at the right are Dragon models

• Like 2

Great to see this one underway Robert. There does look to be beautifully fine detail on these models. Very nice. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thank you Stix

A little more progress, I'm rapidly approaching the stage where I need to dig out the Milliput ...

The gun ...

2017div_art_16.jpg

The barrel/recuperator, cradle and carriage are separate sub-assemblies, dry-fitted here.

I did have to make a small replacement part -

2017div_art_16b.jpg

Copper wire, this is part of the mechanism limiting the spread of the trail.  Looks like I have more cleaning up to do here too.

The figures are making progress too

2017div_art_17.jpg

• Like 2

I'd say that was excellent progress and good work on the replacement part. Those figures and horses do look well detailed. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Coming along nicely. But did you had to castrate the stallion :yikes:

Cheers, Peter

I did, he was 'complete'.  He is the tallest of the four horses, so I intend putting him at the back, with a rider (postillion?), surrounded by mares.

I doubt the crew would want him to be 'distracted' ... :P 

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a start on the painting, working on the figures.  I really should have painted the horses first - they will be in oil so will take an age to dry - but, I've started work on the men ..,

2017div_art_19.jpg

I've swapped the sprue holding rods in my previous image for copper wire drilled into the guys' heels, which is less prone to separation when I'm working on the figures, and may make suitable pins later if I make a base for these fellows.

Working out Russian uniform colours in WWII is a bit hit or miss.  From what I can gather, the Russians had other priorities beyond making clothing look exactly the same colour.

I've used my standard Halfords white primer (I prefer it to the grey), with the uniforms in a mix, of both hue and of brand - Vallejo Russian Uniform WWII, which you can see in the puttees of the two guys on the right (and, possibly, the rider's jacket on the far left), Humbrol white 36, and Daler-Rowney antelope brown (sort of, burnt umber).

• Like 3

Hi Robert. I reckon those colours work really well - I too found there is great variation - sort of mix'n'match in terms of both the items of clothing and colours. Your's look great so far. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I've started painting the limber and gun ...

2017div_art_20.jpg

I've taken a different approach to painting here, using Vallejo 4BO surface primer, lightened with their Model Air 4BO, and then lightened again with Akan (Akah?) 4BO.

The Model Air 4BO really is designed as a mist coat, and is, perhaps, too subtle.  The Akan is more opaque, and is (IMO) easier to use.

The combination gives some nice variation in colour, though it's hard to see on the photo.

Oh, the things on the tape are helmets for the crew and riders

• Like 3

Hi Robert. Great to see it with the paint going on. Glad you have managed to get a good variation in colour. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1