COMPLETED Imperial Star Destroyer - Randy Cooper resin 42" 1/1500 scale

a few photos showing the TIE Fighter launch chute within the internal hangar chamber - primed and ready for fine detailing

DSCF6936

DSCF6935

tidying up the trenches and adding a lot of Evergreen to blend the side strips to the uneven body plates

DSCF6962

DSCF6960

DSCF6965

• Like 3

a few updates from last week - Helen's Death Star interrupted valuable weekend modelling time...

trenches being tidied up and blended into the main body of the model using shaped plasticard and bits of trimmed cable ties

DSCF6966

scratch building up the replacement 3D printed engines

DSCF6967

DSCF6968

DSCF6969

DSCF6970

DSCF6971

DSCF6972

DSCF6973

DSCF6976

rebuilding the upper baffle flaps, removing the deformed casted areas etc - before and after shown below

DSCF6977

DSCF6978

• Like 2

just a quickie for the 28th of the month - anything white is new plasticard / plastistrip i.e. where resin has been rebuilt / replaced with Evergreen - mainly the bits with bad bubbles or mould deformities

DSCF6979

• Like 1

where would we modellers be without Halfords grey primer?

A colleague at IPMS Farnborough advised me to use UPOL system 20 to degrease my resin and I am really glad I did - used over my garden modelling wash down sink, the excess fluid evaporated quickly - the degreased resin has really locked onto the base Primer coat. A great undercoat start for the lower hull - this is my new outside "Quarantine working Area" - sufficiently far away from the washing line not to send paint spray or resin dust onto

DSCF6984

DSCF6985

DSCF6986

internal bulkhead holes being drilled for the internal fibre optic looms

DSCF6987

superstructure dry assembly

DSCF6988

DSCF6989

Tamiya Grey Primer is sufficiently "white" enough for this to be used as a suitable top coat

DSCF6990

adding bits to obscure panel join sections - I followed Randy Coopers YouTube modeller making tutorial advice and invested in a rectangular nibbler tool and a square head punch - makes life so much easier and quicker - you can invent superb straight edged lines so quickly

DSCF6991

new 3D printed Hyperdrive boost engines now finished - they glow blue nicely when ignited

DSCF6992

Main drive engines which I have had 3D built similar to those Randy Cooper has made for the revised ISD he is in the process of building - the kit engines will be saved as spares

DSCF6993

DSCF6994

FIBRE OPTICs next...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:42 PM, Mike said:

I've just had a mosey through this, and it's BIG :unsure: Looking good though, and those fibre optics will make it even better ^_^

cheers Mike - I've reached the point of add optics now - its a first for me and I am feeling quite stressed about what will work best where. White, blue and some light yellow for the holds - its daunting me as the upper surfaces will be difficult to build and assemble once the optics are threaded

John

so I've now got through 50 meters of 1m fibre optic and 20 meters of 2.5mm fibre optic and I ain't even close the finishing lighting up the lower hull - I ran out last night so I started to play with the main engines and hyperdrive booster nacelles. The pictures only show about 30m of fibre - I did not take any more photos last night as the guts are starting to look like the insides of a telephone exchange

DSCF6995

Tractor beam dry fitted - these are 3D printed and were not supplied with the kit

DSCF6996

DSCF6998

DSCF6999

to give you an idea of the size - here she is up against a 1m rule (and Heir Flik)

DSCF7002

DSCF7004

DSCF7005

IMG-20170802-WA0004 (002)

IMG-20170802-WA0008 (002)

IMG-20170802-WA0012 (002)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So having spent a week reading Rogue One, it would appear that Orson Krennic was the fictitious mastermind behind the Empire's production of the Star Destroyer fleet and mass weapons that took on the rebel Alliance as the "planet killer" first took shape. Just in 1/1500 scale, these things take up a lot of production line space (and money). There has been so much "add-on" and "blending in self scratch build" required as the larger pieces have started to come together now

The last photo shows how she looked at 10pm last night - I will make a bee line to the stern tip top joints tonight and get these joined and aligned before adding the trench walls and working on the Port topside gun emplacements and blending in the gaps etc.

DSCF7014

DSCF7015

DSCF7016

DSCF7017

DSCF7019

DSCF7021

DSCF7022

DSCF7023

DSCF7024

DSCF7026

DSCF7027

• Like 3

20 or so Bank Holiday hours has almost got the hull completed with some work to the superstructure optics now started and a test fitting on its display stand - main engine almost ready to be attached - all electrics seem to be working too.

showing some of the work required to blend in the panel joins

DSCF7028

DSCF7035

Filters inserted into main engine nacelles - I'm happy with the outcome

DSCF7030

DSCF7034

DSCF7038

forward lower bridge fibre optics being fitted

DSCF7039

DSCF7040

135 fibre tips tested

DSCF7041DSCF7042

some test shots on its upright pole stand

DSCF7046

(Star Destroyer assembly hanger in the background ! )

DSCF7047

DSCF7049

DSCF7052

DSCF7054

DSCF7055

DSCF7056

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

its slowly getting bigger - and more expensive

DSCF7057

DSCF7058

DSCF7059

DSCF7060

DSCF7061

DSCF7062

DSCF7063

DSCF7064

some of the smaller parts - The Falcon, Tantive IV, Imperial Shuttles, Deflector Shields and main gun turrets

DSCF7065

DSCF7069

completed bridge

DSCF7070

DSCF7074

DSCF7074

DSCF7076

Main engine sockets fitted

DSCF7080

DSCF7083

BOOM ! Suddenly the rear end starts to look a lot hotter at last.. really pleased with the completed effect

DSCF7084

DSCF7086

DSCF7088

DSCF7089

DSCF7091

• Like 1

Inside the Destroyer = looking more like a BT telephone exchange box every day now - Buzby could have made this his nest

DSCF7092

DSCF7094

DSCF7096

some of the smaller bits and bobs in paint production line

DSCF7097

Phew - that's all for now folks

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not checked in for a while John, in the mean time you've made some great progress. 

Considering how large it is you seem to be struggling to fit all that wiring in. 

Keep the up mate, the finishing line is in sight.