COMPLETED Imperial Star Destroyer - Randy Cooper resin 42" 1/1500 scale

This kit is a monster - both in sheer size and by measure of the amount of work that will be needed to complete it. Ordered from Randy Cooper in the US in the Spring, this must be one, if not the last of his old Devastator mouldings. A nice challenge ahead - when was a short run resin kit ever meant to be a simple lick and stick job. If I'm honest with myself, I'm quite looking forward to the amount of work needed here. The Hangar parts are not really usable due to shape distortion so I have commissioned a 3D build which will be an upscaled hanger produced for the Zvezda 1/2700 ISD - the proportions and dimensions work well when enlarged and nothing that a bit of filler and plasticard wont put right to blend the hangar into the hull when I get to that stage.

Randy is working on a new and much improved ISD kit in the same scale with some updates and what I believe to be a more simplified build - but here goes my attempt. Randy's new ISD is based on the larger 9 footer studio model used in ESB and RoTJ - his Facebook pages are being regularly updated for anyone in the market for one of the new kits - I have slipped one on back order for myself hoping that this build will be the "dress rehearsal" of the 2.

DSCF6725_zps3az2ig34.jpg

DSCF6726_zpsnj70zrad.jpg

DSCF6727_zpssat4aplw.jpg

DSCF6728_zpskbbua3ev.jpg

DSCF6729_zpsfv7nqfuq.jpg

DSCF6730_zpswwqdjqpb.jpg

• Like 6

This kits really is like building the Titanic - its taking over both my workshop benches and the resin dust is making life hard work even with protective glasses and masks. The detailing on the kit is outstanding however the pieces are different thicknesses and badly distorted in shape which rather puts a downer on the kit considering the price paid. I have had some 3D engines printed up which should arrive soon.

Internal skeleton

DSCF6731_zps5dd18rog.jpg

DSCF6732_zpsi9yqz22a.jpg

DSCF6733_zpsu6ygzynv.jpg

Yep - those are CM measurements on the cutting mats so you can get an idea of how mega the engine bulkhead is

DSCF6734_zpsdewqiisw.jpg

DSCF6737_zpsro9nb9yp.jpg

Test on internal skeletal frame on intended display upright pole

DSCF6738_zpsmtwsfjkn.jpg

Window lighting jig for LED and Fibre Optics

DSCF6739_zpsrbvo64hy.jpg

DSCF6741_zps3r89pzi9.jpg

DSCF6742_zpsy8zejzqp.jpg

Belt sander fixed in vice for long edge / surface sanding and make good

DSCF6743_zpsk7puktpw.jpg

Keel Plate 1 on

DSCF6744_zps5lgp4smm.jpg

stand pole bored out

DSCF6745_zpssgaqkucc.jpg

DSCF6746_zpsofq3rs5o.jpg

DSCF6748_zpsuhqlrlkf.jpg

DSCF6749_zpswftpdq7u.jpg

The rear baffle flaps sections of the kit (upper and lowere) were pretty much a complete right off when I took a closer look at them - the mould detail had been lost over the years so I had to dremmel new channels from scratch and remake all the detail groove channels here on all 4 sections

DSCF6750_zpsgdlrcnix.jpg

DSCF6751_zpsib92bkxq.jpg

test on display pole

DSCF6752_zpstitwlaye.jpg

DSCF6753_zpsieejigzs.jpg

DSCF6754_zps9drfcmxx.jpg

DSCF6756_zpsgaiojpdg.jpg

DSCF6757_zpsnyobybyy.jpg

One of the many side trench walls being marked up for lighting drill holes

DSCF6758_zpsetlp4us5.jpg

DSCF6759_zpscgmmdrv5.jpg

Screws caped over and some plasticard surgery make good on one of the joins to blend matters together

DSCF6760_zpsvkxazkk4.jpg

new ZVEZDA / Revell Star Destroyer vs the mega Randy Cooper GIANT !! -

DSCF6761_zpseblzv2rf.jpg

Tidying up and blending in the stand housing hole

DSCF6762_zps8whvdw7n.jpg

That's all folks -

• Like 6

Wow! That kit is crazy mad massive. 

Comes to something when major carpentry is involved in a build.

Did you have to design and build all that wooden framework, or did it come with the kit? Hope you have a strong shelf to support it.

I looked on the randy Cooper website, but this kit is not currently available, as he's re doing the molds for it. Mind you, I did see a nice kit of the bubble ship from oblivion. Would love it, but don't have $400 spare at the moment.

Good luck with the drilling of the windows, hope you have a good supply of drill bits. I've heard you might get through a few.

Nice idea with the sander, mounting it like that, bet it saves a load of elbow grease!

Looking forward to seeing more. 

Matt

10 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

I did see a nice kit of the bubble ship from oblivion. Would love it, but don't have $400 spare

Matt

Like you I've seen the bubbleship and would love one but the price puts me off. 

This kit is amazing though, but a lot of work. I like the idea of the slightly offset mount too - just seems 'right' somehow. Enjoying your WIP immensely; keep up the good work

Edited by The Chief Smeg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Wow! That kit is crazy mad massive. 

Comes to something when major carpentry is involved in a build.

Did you have to design and build all that wooden framework, or did it come with the kit? Hope you have a strong shelf to support it.

I looked on the randy Cooper website, but this kit is not currently available, as he's re doing the molds for it. Mind you, I did see a nice kit of the bubble ship from oblivion. Would love it, but don't have $400 spare at the moment.

Good luck with the drilling of the windows, hope you have a good supply of drill bits. I've heard you might get through a few.

Nice idea with the sander, mounting it like that, bet it saves a load of elbow grease!

Looking forward to seeing more. 

Matt

cheers Matt - the kit comes with 3 internal structural pieces but they are not really strong enough to hold the kit together if displayed on an upright pole as I have chosen. My structure distributes the downward weight across the main rear structural section to keep it from weakening - but even now its getting very heavy..

One of Randys kits has just been taken on by Pegagsus Hobbies - you may find it to be that bubble ship

• Like 1

This kit is on my bucket list.  Great start and the popcorn is in the microwave ready to sit down and watch where you take this!

It is out of stock at the moment as Randy is updating the master including adding clear parts to make lighting easier.

Pegasus used Randy's Mars Hopper to produce their kit, the bubbleship is available in 1/48 from Fantastic Plastic but doesn't look as impressive or as big as Randy's!!

• Like 1

every hour spent working on this kit leaves me thinking about the ingenuity that Randy put into not only developing the kit in the first place, but making it into an assembly that can then be reproduced as a kit for purchase - the detailing is brilliant and I am enjoying every second of this major build. I confess to having a back order with Randy for his new revised ISD so this model will be 1 of 2, with an Anigrand build of the same inbetween.

The 3D engines I have produced are ready now

20170627_161711%20002_zpsr450xnij.jpg

20170627_161720%20002_zpstr5ep5dd.jpg

20170627_161735%20002_zpsxhugdqpn.jpg

20170627_161754%20002_zps9po1boa9.jpg

20170627_161829%20002_zpseq23pecd.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

One of Randys kits has just been taken on by Pegagsus Hobbies - you may find it to be that bubble ship

That would be a treat and a half. 

Looking at at the support structure you are building to distribute the loads from your mount (and the size of the mount itself of course) it would seem that you are expecting this kit to be HEAVY, any idea how heavy? I'm not asking because I want to build one (not yet got the skill level to do this kit justice), but the engineer in me is screaming for information and your build looks truly solid and already looks amazing!

Edited by The Chief Smeg

4 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

That would be a treat and a half. 

Looking at at the support structure you are building to distribute the loads from your mount (and the size of the mount itself of course) it would seem that you are expecting this kit to be HEAVY, any idea how heavy? I'm not asking because I want to build one (not yet got the skill level to do this kit justice), but the engineer in me is screaming for information and your build looks truly solid and already looks amazing!

Hi Chief

I would say that what is presently built (having been made heavy by the timber) weighs around 4 pounds in weight to date. My main concern is that there is no real way to secure the forward section to the middle bulkhead - hence the rear end internal structure so I have built a frame that can carry a forward pilon as the completed kit will be mounted from the underside on a single pole, making the forward section vulnerable to simply dropping off if not correctly supported when banged.

Randy's facebook pages (screen shot below) show a new internal structure which would have been a better design for me to have started with - but I have only just seen his new internal workings and will look forward to building his new designed ISD once he has it in production

RCISD1_zpsywpxxj4y.jpg

John

• Like 3

Looking at your screenshots he must have had exactly the feedback from other people as you mentioned regarding the support of the front. 

So so you are going to build your own fleet of these!  That truly is 'Impressive'

some updates here - my Fiancée is very understanding and has no issue loosing me to at least 2.5 hours a day to work on this beast in my man cave

lower rear "space flaps or could these be space speed brakes?" - pinned and fitted. The odd shaped pieces of thin Evergreen plasti-card fitted over the main assembly screws were shaped using dress maker scissors that have a rectangular shape blade

DSCF6764_zpsfn0uckqo.jpg

lower dome - heated and flexed to fit

DSCF6765_zpsldamvgi1.jpg

DSCF6766_zpsrb6z1owa.jpg

carpet fitters mesh used to hold the forward fuselage halves together once trimmed and edged with the correct angle

DSCF6767_zpsfifzmqw0.jpg

I've lost count of how many 1mm holes have been drilled over the last week but this is where it started for the fibre optic lighting

DSCF6769_zpsq7ibllhd.jpg

DSCF6871_zpsk3lpryub.jpg

DSCF6874_zpsu576mcta.jpg

DSCF6875_zpsvn5kvxlv.jpg

DSCF6876_zps9h56nnxp.jpg

DSCF6877_zpsouesscuo.jpg

DSCF6878_zps0cizlxcd.jpg

DSCF6879_zpsk0nm1nhi.jpg

DSCF6881_zpscjdenpp9.jpg

DSCF6882_zps8ojgbgn1.jpg

DSCF6883_zpsdlmnco5c.jpg

May the Force be with you - John

• Like 3

more progress made during the hot UK evenings this week

Trenches tidied up

DSCF6884_zpsotogmo3z.jpg

lower hull forward keel plates now installed

DSCF6885_zpskwb6moej.jpg

DSCF6887_zpsqod5q8ks.jpg

DSCF6888_zpsbfiiq7iu.jpg

DSCF6889_zpsnzrkf9fd.jpg

DSCF6890_zpszfsefief.jpg

A strip of 1.5mm x 6mm plastic glued to the stern ready to be trimmed down into the baffle flaps that had to be sanded off due to poor casting

DSCF6891_zpskkuglads.jpg

DSCF6892_zpstmyxuhlx.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours work over the weekend. Rear lower baffle flaps completed, lower engine bulkhead fitted, lower keel tidied up and main hangar test fitted

DSCF6894_zpsvfvovgct.jpg

DSCF6895_zpsdzfhvbgq.jpg

DSCF6896_zpst8joyhgg.jpg

DSCF6897_zpssmjnncln.jpg

DSCF6898_zpsjt9mjtxa.jpg

DSCF6899_zpshcefhu0k.jpg

DSCF6900_zpsfr98ip3j.jpg

DSCF6901_zpsoqsocx9c.jpg

DSCF6902_zpsddksbgpj.jpg

DSCF6903_zpsy00pyobq.jpg

DSCF6904_zpsmtahb36b.jpg

• Like 3

OK so I have spent a few hours this week working on the hangars. In the scale I'm working with here, these hangars are large enough to add some detail that will easily be seen - the main hangar being nearly 4 inches long and the forward approx. 1" long.

A pair of 3D printed 1/1500 scale Lambda / Tydirium shuttles will feature in the forward hangar - 1 stood at the ready on the lip of the hangar and 1 on its decent from the hangar mouth. With hangars so large, the internal forward hangar chambers in the main hangar will also be visible. The replacement 3D printed main hangar features 2 forward internal hangar chambers with TIE fighter launch cradles and 2 TIE Fighters. Hence, the additional work scratch built here over a few evenings this week. Once the main hangar is inserted, the internal hangar chambers should blend in giving the area a feel of depth with a ceiling to obscure the internal fibre optics. Both hangars are being prepared to accommodate 2.2mm fibre optic lighting - hence the drilled out holes. Intricate nerdy fun...

DSCF6908_zpsaj2t9wey.jpg

DSCF6909_zpsd9cngozv.jpg

The resin is a good 5mm thick so to make the forward hangar more easily visible when unlit, I have dremelled out about 3mm of resin to lower the hangar floor

DSCF6906_zpszx5ilnkl.jpg

Scratch builds - Forward hangar walls, roof - fibre fixings

DSCF6911_zpsh6go5frm.jpg

DSCF6914_zpsdecsm89u.jpg

DSCF6915_zpsbvfwfall.jpg

DSCF6916_zpspq8re8aw.jpg

DSCF6918_zpszs63wmk5.jpg

main hangar fibre optic spacer bar

DSCF6919_zpsjuluddst.jpg

starting work making lower long edges into a neat straight line for the trench walls

DSCF6920_zpsb2822i3l.jpg

DSCF6921_zpsfq6uovv9.jpg

it needs a bit of edging and a tidy up but here is the forward hangar after its first prime

DSCF6924_zpsow7scjfk.jpg

main hangar inner chamber - needs another prime and tidy up but I ran out of time last night

DSCF6925_zpsbrdyan93.jpg

DSCF6923_zpsc6wtkht2.jpg

DSCF6922_zps10qe16gz.jpg

DSCF6926_zpspmg2b1xc.jpg

• Like 4

another 2 hours last night saw the completion of the hangar prep workings

Primed - the main hangar showing off its internal TIE fighter launch chute

DSCF6927_zpsmxmp6ivp.jpg

DSCF6928_zpss0um48cx.jpg

DSCF6929_zpsoopnqdjg.jpg

room for 23 fibre optics of various sizes

DSCF6930_zpsw4ggl1n4.jpg

forward hangar lip tidied up

DSCF6931_zpsnwjow15e.jpg

main hangar - light block in matt black

DSCF6933_zpst7oem5wp.jpg

plasti-strip added to long lip edge - a tidy up where trimmed edging left uneven lip

DSCF6934_zpsq8cxq1kt.jpg

• Like 3

I think it is important on this build to get the Geometry of the Hull correct before the build.

All joining lines - Centre/Front/Middle join to need to square first.

IMG_5937_zps2devzeyx.jpg

IMG_5935_zpsqqxtqpkm.jpg

Basically the ISD is 2 Isosceles Triangles each made up of 2 Right angle triangles. These 4 major hull pieces need to be built up first in order to ensure they are completely flat on the surface detail side. This way all major seems/gaps & joins can be avoided.

Then they simply lie on the internal structure, which yes did need a bit of reinforcement. 

IMG_5925_zpsrnouqu0k.jpg

IMG_5931_zpsqflfyui7.jpg

IMG_5927_zpstwnkozho.jpg

IMG_5951_zpsjxrzzark.jpg

IMG_5956_zpsxwxm1hli.jpg

IMG_5975_zpsrnrahgzr.jpg

The Hull and it's integral geometry when built are extremely strong.

The shape and structure is very tough and not too much extra support is required.

Although some additional vertical support is required later before the superstructure buildings at the rear are mounted, this will prevent any sagging of the main hull where there is no support. Also the front section needs a rib too.

IMG_5976_zpsug5namk1.jpg

IMG_6001_zpsbfrouqcb.jpg

As do the buildings need a few roof beams, due to sagging and warping of the relatively thin resin here.

IMG_6000_zpshjaenlpm.jpg

IMG_6002_zps5wngpicr.jpg

Once completed and all wrapped up, the ISD is strong as you'd ever need it to be. Trust me i've accidentally banged into almost every door frame in the house and it doesn't even care.

The vertical braces ensure the superstructure can lay flat on the main hull without any gaps, just the way you need it to be!

IMG_5994_zpsae56yhbg.jpg