IDF Macha"G M579 Fitter

A kind friend in the USA bought me this old Academy kit. I won't build it quite 'OOB' - I'll definitely add the Eduard brass set - or part of it - and i need to move the crane, which is in the wrong place. I may also decide to use the 'late' bin-fit, rather than the early as on the picture here - but to begin with it doesn't make any difference to the build.

Fitter.jpg

So here we go. Out of order, of course - who needs instructions?

HereWeGo.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting vehicle. When you mention instructions I realised that I've never builded a single model in the order as they saying. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Interesting vehicle. When you mention instructions I realised that I've never builded a single model in the order as they saying. 

I don't think I have either. The order they suggest might make sense, if you weren't planning to paint it with an airbrush, but the need to keep things in paintable assemblies means the instructions don't 'work' - other than for working out where the bits go - for which photos of the real thing are usually better anyway.

Road wheels are done, tracklinks cleaned up (I didn't much like either the 'rubber bands' or the indy links in the kit, so I'm using some AFV Club indy links), and I'm just on with the suspension now. 

Looking at the photos in Michael Mass's lovely little Desert Eagle Publishing Book No.9 (if you're modelling IDF subjects, those little books are a 'must have', despite their expense), virtually all of the Fitters pictured are 'trimmed down by the stern' (to steal a nautical phrase) - to the extent that the idler wheels are practically touching the ground. I think I'm going to 'tweak' the suspension a bit so as to replicate this.

Cheers,
Phil

This is a bit different to the normal run of the mill models, and it's IDF, so it caught my attention.

I'm with you on instructions, but although I don't usually follow them, I do take note of them after a couple of instances, blindly adding parts to the build, only to fine that another part should have been fitted first, and now it's too late.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John. I like odd subjects. I quite like 'plain vanilla' MBTs, but there's an extra frisson of excitement for me in an engineer or recovery vehicle, or something which is a 'real life conversion'.

Yes, I don't follow the instructions, but I have read them and looked at all the pictures alongside the sprues, so I know the 'theory', even if I ignore most of it once I'm actually building.

Right, that's enough chatter, I've got a day off today, so it's time to get on with some serious plastic-bashing.

Lots of fiddling on this morning, but here's progress so far. (Wrong) hole for the crane filled; wheels made, suspension arms fitted - the thing won't be as extreme as some examples, but will definitely look a bit 'tail-heavy'.

Fitter2.jpg

• Like 2

I've pulled up a chair for this one.  I had this kit with the Eduard etch and other AM parts but made what I now consider to be the mistake of selling it a few years ago. Now they're rare and expensive.  But Academy do have a habit of re-releasing.

• Like 1

The crane, part-built, with most of the necessary mods done. Need to add a load of detailing, including the hydraulic hoses.

That's today's job, along with detailing the lockers/bins - including new lids (which I've just made and stuck in place) - the old ones came off easy enough. I'm still wondering whether to make this a late modular macha"g instead though...

• Like 3

Bit more progress this afternoon - the crane just needs hydraulic lines and the cable; the boxes are ready for fitting - I think - oh, maybe not, I might need to add the 'tabs' and bolts which secure them to the vehicle sides... That's the thing about this, you keep spotting more bits to do...

Crane2.jpg

Boxes.jpg

Edited by PhilHendry
Formatting
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, PhilHendry said:

That's the thing about this, you keep spotting more bits to do...

Ain't that the truth. Some of the smaller parts seem to be breeding. It's looking good though Phil.

John.

• Like 2

Very little time for modelling or photography today. I got a bit done yesterday - mostly more of the main body - might manage to photgraph those bits tomorrow. Here's this morning's effort - two jerry-can holders:

CanHolders.jpg

• Like 4

Haven't done anything to it today (yet), but here's the past few days' efforts.

The main body (with new hole for the crane); cupola; the roof plate and the 'missing' hinges for the latter.

M579Body.jpg

Edited by PhilHendry
Changed link for photo
  • Like 3

I'm sorry. Photobucket have just changed their terms and conditions, with absolutely no warning... And are basically holding all my images hostage. Unless I pay them US$399 (!!!) per annum, I can't use their site for hotlinking photos. What the heck? Does anyone really use Photobucket for anything other than hotlinking their pictures?

Needless to say, I'm not paying. So I'm sorry, but until I find another solution, and can find the time and energy to re-upload the hundreds of pictures my various forum accounts link to, all my posts will be 'image-free'.