Tupolev Tu-2 VS to Tu-2S

Dannie

As luck would have it, after getting a Xuntong's Tu-2VS (it was on a sale after all) and doing some basic research on the subject it appears that this version did not really exist. 

Now, it is mentioned in one of the books I perused during the quick research I did as a small footnote, with no specifics. 

I know that Xuntong have released the more ubiquitous Tu-2S version. So what would be required to backdate/update the Tu-2VS to  Tu-2S. 

Does the Xuntong provide all the details in the box to perform this update? 

(Or is this just a case of a manufacturer providing and naming what should've been an early and late configurations of the basic Tu-2)

Thanks,

AFAIK the basic parts  are in all the Xuntong Tu-2 kits, I think the  VS boxing has additional parts for  rockets.

I  don't have the VS kit, but if you search you should be able to find sprue shots

S here

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/flaviation/Xuntong-1-48-Tupolev-Tu-2S.php

which should allow you  to compare

HTH

T

According to my source, it's not that the VS did not exist, it's that there were just a handful built and even less that made it to operational units.

Personally I'd build one with as many "early" features as possible, to display alongside a postwar example. But that's me.

IIRC the Xuntong kit already has the taller fins, a later configuration of the nose transparency and of the side windows for the gunner (earliest ones had a small round window, then three, then a single large window was introduced). So it's more an S with air brakes and it takes some work to get a VS out of it.

The wheels are also of a later type, other than being horrible. Someone makes the early type in resin, can't remember who.

Pick a photo of an -S you want to reproduce, and go from there. Details which may vary are the shape of the rear canopy (the movable part for the gunner), the presence or absence of the bulges around the engine cowlings, and the filters on the air intakes above them.

FYI Massimo Tessitori has also a photo of a Tu-2 with air brakes on his site.

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 2

Thanks. Yes it appears that all the parts for early and late are there except the big bombs parts, of which the VS has one only. 

On 6/16/2017 at 9:01 AM, Bonehammer said:

Pick a photo of an -S you want to reproduce, and go from there. Details which may vary are the shape of the rear canopy (the movable part for the gunner), the presence or absence of the bulges around the engine cowlings, and the filters on the air intakes above them.

That seems to be the way to go.