1/72 Airfix Swedish Spitfire PRXIX - Complete!

Synopsis

If no one objects I'd like to jump aboard with a build of an Airfix Spitfire PRXIX, I intend to finish in the Swedish option that comes in the kit and as I have them in the stash I am going to be using one of Attack Squadrons resin cameras. 

Obligatory box and sprue shot:

35292932225_df4c60d89e_b.jpg

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 5

First thing I thought I would have a look at was the fit of the resin camera. I popped the glazing in to the fuselage side and did a dry fit. As expected the fuselage wouldn't shut tight so a mm or so off each side was thinned off the walls with the Dremel and every thing looked like it was going to shut up nicely so on with the office!

35299664565_0430c2a0ee_c.jpg

I noticed there was no decal or detail for the dash board so I thought I would add the main dial panel and the camera control box, made both out of Styrene sheet, unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of the finish thing before I put it all in but heres the images I did take. Holes we drilled and filled with PVA to represent the dial lenses and the block for the camera control block was painted light grey. It was only when I put the office in place and closed her up I realised your not going to see any of it anyway but never mind, kept me busy for a little while if nothing else lol

34489933693_70365a152f_c.jpg

35299780515_62e8d01e4c_c.jpg

• Like 5

This builds been progressing nicely, want to get it finished in time for next weeks club meeting too so hopefully I can get it pretty much done over the weekend.

Prop assembly it together now, fuselage all shut up and the wings are assembled. Seam lines will need a little bit of finishing but nothing too major, is a lovely kit this I must say nice and simple and goes together well, just what the mojo ordered!

35283971756_9bed60b191_b.jpg

34935469970_f986ca3086_b.jpg

• Like 4

Wings etc are on now, filling and sanding done on the seams, need to excavate the filler from the panel lines then we're on to primer! Will have to wait till later though as its the East Neuk Model show today so I will be popping across the water after work and paying a visit.

34514458994_08bc1e0848_b.jpg

• Like 2

The PR. XIX certainly shows the lines of the late-model Spitfire off a treat with its smooth wings and you are doing a great job of capturing that chatacter :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoyed the East Neuk show. Was on family duties yesterday and couldn't make it but the Aberdeen Modellers Society lads and Duncan at BlackMike Models are all saying it was a good one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Col. said:

The PR. XIX certainly shows the lines of the late-model Spitfire off a treat with its smooth wings and you are doing a great job of capturing that chatacter :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoyed the East Neuk show. Was on family duties yesterday and couldn't make it but the Aberdeen Modellers Society lads and Duncan at BlackMike Models are all saying it was a good one.

Is a lovely little kit of a fantastic looking aircraft, looks fast even when at a standstill. I did indeed enjoy the show, and I only came away with two kits so I was again restrained!

I forgot to take an image during primer and paint, but to be honest the Tamiya fine primer and Vallejo Faded PRU Blue was uneventful in a good way!

Here she is mid decal:

35259417651_d794b4bde8_b.jpg

• Like 1

Well that was quicker than I thought! All done, here's a quick snap I took with my phone on completion. I will get some proper photos taken and added to the gallery tonight. 

35025475900_9eec5cfbab_b.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Synopsis

Very good job but I am a little bit surprised as far as I can see you have painted the interior of the landing gear doors in green ?

Patrice

Hi Patrice, 

I did indeed paint the wheel wells and the interior of the landing gear door as interior green as this was the call out on the instructions for the kit, Is this not correct then?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Patrice, 

I spent a little time looking at a Google Image Search and see that they are usually PRU Blue too on the S.31. The colour call out for them is during the construction phase on the Airfix instruction sheet and they must be incorrect or assuming you want to build the RAF variant perhaps.

Quickly fixed there with my detail brush and the wheel wells got a quick airbrush to PRU blue and a brown wash.

Thanks for pointing it out as I had chance to correct before uploading gallery images and more importantly before taking it along to tonight's club meeting, saved me some embarrassment there! 

12 hours ago, Synopsis said:

Hi Patrice, 

I spent a little time looking at a Google Image Search and see that they are usually PRU Blue too on the S.31. The colour call out for them is during the construction phase on the Airfix instruction sheet and they must be incorrect or assuming you want to build the RAF variant perhaps.

Quickly fixed there with my detail brush and the wheel wells got a quick airbrush to PRU blue and a brown wash.

Thanks for pointing it out as I had chance to correct before uploading gallery images and more importantly before taking it along to tonight's club meeting, saved me some embarrassment there! 

Good morning Mark

I am not a Spitfire expert but one of my colleague on a french modeller forum is a Spitfire expert and when I saw your build yesterday I remembered what he used to say about the colours of the wheel wells and and interior of the landing gear doors .. I guess that Airfix made a mistake on the  instruction sheet ..  I like to post step by step pics of my builds if I make a mistake there is ofetn someone to point it out before it is too late I am glad that you have been able to correct your build ..

Best regards

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1