DONE - Revell 1/72 Red Arrows Hawk

Dermo245

Hi all,

So the theme of this GB got me thinking that I probably couldn't get more Made in Britain than a Red Arrows Hawk.

The Reds have been quite literally "flying the flag" all over the world since the 1960s, thrilling airshow crowds with their precision, professionalism and skill. While I only got to see them for real as an adult, I've plenty of childhood memories watching them as part of Farnborough and Airshow specials on TV as a 'lad, with Raymond Baxter on commentary. Splendid stuff.

So Smoke On and here's to the Reds! While I was going to use this kit from the stash...

35680112491_b442071631_b.jpgAirfix Hawk A03085 Box by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

With these decals...

35771541376_b3cb57d12b_b.jpgRAF Red Arrows Hawk 2014 scheme by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

To end up with one of these

35812235155_e3eaa9dc4a_b.jpgRAF_Red_Arrows_depart_RIAT_Fairford_14thJuly2014_arp by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

(Source Wikipedia Commons - public domain image).

If I've time, I might also try to build an early Harrier. 

Thanks for looking and good luck with your build.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
spelling mishtaks
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

A Hawk is always a nice choice ! This is a kit that I love for some reasons and hate for others... will watch with interest !

Thanks Giorgio.

Anything I should look out for?

D

54 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

Thanks Giorgio.

Anything I should look out for?

D

Let's start saying that for those who look at these things, shapes are pretty good, there are some smaller issues but these may or not be of interest. I don't like that the shape of the instrument panels and their coamings is all wrong, others may not be bothered

If you want some inspiration for a fantastic and very accurate Hawk check Fritag's double build in the WIP section of the forum, it's really fantastic.

Speaking of fit there are two areas that I found annoying: a relatively easy to sort one is the airbrake, as it is it will sink into its recess, better be ready to pad this to keep it level with the outer fuselage skin. Or alternatively glue open. If you glue it closed, you have to scribe the hinge line as the part given by Airfix is just a slab...

What requires more work is the wing-fuselage junction. If glued with the wing upper surfaces flush, then the lower part of the wing protrudes quite a lot from the bottom, requiring some very heavy sanding. If the part is sanded from the inside to bring the bottom parts flush, then the upper wing surfaces don't match with the part moulded on the fuselage. One way or the other, there's a lot of work to do in that area.

The landing gear IMHO is poor and the main doors are also weird. Now Airfi modified these during the production of this kit, not sure however if the box you have received these modifications or these were only on the Red Arrows boxing. The original ones were rubbish..

• Like 1

A Red Arrow Hawk is certainly British and has to be an icon to many of us both here in the UK and abroad from their busy airshow schedule.

Alas this kit needs a little care and attention to get the best of it but does look like a Hawk once done. Although I enjoyed building this kit in-flight at the time I realised too late the rear cockpit is also too long as moulded so that rather spoiled it for me. Nothing that can't be sorted if you care to though.

• Like 1

A change of plan - I found out the Xtradecal sheet doesn't come with any other Reds' decals bar the tails.

So it was either get some decals.....or another kit. A quick lunchtime detour to my local hobby shop and spotted this fella...

35642804932_6966768550_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

35771550496_49ba09e11e_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Heard good things about it and nice level of detail under the Red plastic!

35771535866_98bb42de77_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 1

And so here we go. Got the cockpit done after a couple of evenings at the bench. This is all OOB.

The Macro lens sure does show up every flaw and brush slip! The seats are made up of three parts and have a decent level of detail moulded on them.

35865327235_a4dce8dffe_b.jpg

35733524271_50bdea3b93_b.jpg

I went for the drybrushing/fine marker for the panels instead of the kit decals as they've lots of nice detail. If you ever build this kit, don't mix up the instrument panels, (parts A4 and A5) like I did - they're 'keyed' to suit the coaming that fits above them and neither will fit the other, if you know what I mean. After fixing that, happy with the result. 

Thanks for looking,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
photos fixed
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So a quick update on this one.

Got the cockpit and wing added to the fuselage and then went through the priming and filling stage. But after one coat of Red paint, I'm not too very happy with the finish - very blotchy finish and not suitable for Red Arrows. So I'm going to strip the paint and try again.

Wish me luck.

Dermot

Nice one Dermo, I am watching with interest and on the verge of breaking the plastic on some Red Arrows for this aswell and from memory I think there is another aswell. I wonder how many of the team we'll end up with?

Looking forward to the next instalment 

Graham

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2017 at 7:15 PM, Graham77 said:

Nice one Dermo, I am watching with interest and on the verge of breaking the plastic on some Red Arrows for this aswell and from memory I think there is another aswell. I wonder how many of the team we'll end up with?

Looking forward to the next instalment 

Graham

Cheers Graham.

So the paint-stripping didn't go as well as I had planned.....and it just won't be good enough for a Red Arrows a/c.

So it's back to the drawing board with a new kit (was on special price) and I'll take more time with it this time.

Cheers,

Dermot

Oh no, I have the red to put on next and hoping for a bit of nice weather when I finish my next block of work. Is it in a state that you could do all black scheme or similar. There was a cool RNAS scheme in black and countless diaplay jet ones that you could do to salvage the model.

Good Luck

Graham

• Like 1

So finally back with this one - new kit so new photos

Cockpit, all OOB.

36214908313_f2149f0c76_b.jpg

36187399004_0d8c35452f_b.jpg

And all buttoned up. Just some filler needed for the wing roots and a tiny spot on the nose. I also repaired one of the wing fences which broke when i was cleaning the sprue attachment that's near it.

36851725852_7015300810_b.jpg

More later!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

So a bit more done.

Trip to the garage for some primer.

37060450571_0c846a832c_b.jpg

Followed by some Revell Fiery Red with a brush. It was at this point I had a minor meltdown...(no pics).

Despite thinning, flow improver and a very good brush, the finish on the kit was really poor - streaky and patchy. Not to worry I thought, it's acrylic so needs a couple of coats to build up the coverage. So i started one wing with a second coat. And after it dried, exactly the same result.

It was about this point I checked the paint I was using....Revell 32131 - Fiery Red.......Gloss. :doh:

I can only assume  the Gloss was the issue as I prep and brush all my kits the same way and never had this problem before. The only other Matt Red I had was Revell's 32136 Carmine Red so had to go with that instead. And here's the result of two brush coats and a coat of Klear..

37060450681_717aa5f92a_b.jpg

She's probably a shade dark for the Red Arrows and the light & camera are probably affecting how it looks too. But I'm going to go with it - really can't face stripping paint again or buying another kit. I've also decided to go with the current scheme, hence the red (and not blue) tail.

This feels a bit one step forward/three back but will try some decals tonight and see how it's coming together.

Cheers,
Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Flickr fixes

So into the home stretch with this one and started on the decals.

All from the Revell kit and very nice - strong white colours.

36902466170_556cd5d897_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk_New_fuse6_decals1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

36902466310_43c1c0da21_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk_New_fuse6_decals2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

More later!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 1

So got the final decals done...

37235962886_2da6760de4_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk_New_fuse6_decals3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And the underside arrow which took a bit of cutting and fixing.

37282779911_e4d8aaccec_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk_New_fuse6_decals4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And with the gear and final bits added, she's done. Will post more pics in the Gallery.

37235969946_b12dd01b9b_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk_Done (2) crop by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

37253492912_13555dbcd5_b.jpgRevell_04921_Red_Arrows_Hawk_Done (3) crop by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks to Col & Shermaniac for a great GB.

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 2