Lavochkin La-7 Novo (Frog) 1/72

I didn't consciously decide to go on an old Frog kit building frenzy. Or, at least I don't think I did. Regardless, here's another one. This time it's the 1977 Novo release of the 1974 Frog Lavochkin  La-7 in 1/72nd scale.

I've built it straight out of the hang card bag with the exceptions of a total rescribe with recessed panel lines, the addition of a bit of plastic card to block off the main wheel well and employing a very nice set of Authentic Decals printed in, rather ironically, Russia.

I cannot speak to accuracy as I didn't bother to check but it looks rather like the La-7 photos I've peered at. It's a simple kit but pretty cleanly molded and didn't require a great deal of fettling or putty to get it paint ready. I went with Vallejo Model Air colors for the camo and Tamiya for the rest. Both always go on very well, especially over Stynelrez primer which seems to bond so well to the plastic and the paint to it. Oh, and I used some Bare Metal Foil for the strips around the cowling.

I also tried the artist oils wash technique for the first time. It's a bit subtle on this particular job, maybe used too dark a brown, but I quite like the idea and will be using it more often for sure.

1/72 Novo (Frog) La-71/72 Novo (Frog) La-7

1/72 Novo (Frog) La-71/72 Novo (Frog) La-71/72 Novo (Frog) La-7

1/72 Novo (Frog) La-7

1/72 Novo (Frog) La-7

1/72 Novo (Frog) La-7

• Like 32

That looks terrific.  I also couldn't vouch for the accuracy of the kit but this looks every inch a Lavochkin to me. A great scheme too.  I would imagine that reference material for Soviet types back then would have been difficult to come by so fair play to Frog for having a go.  Anyway, lovely model. 

Thank you all, you're very kind! I can't recall exactly when Frog went out of business but I'd wager this was one of their last releases or very near to it. I've not seen a Frog bagged version of this kit, just a boxed release.

• 2 weeks later...