Airfix 1/48th JU 87B Stuka

Hi everyone.

Here is my attempt at the new Airfix Stuka. A very nice kit and I enjoyed building it although I had a disaster towards the end, I managed to spill white spirit all over the rear

canopy, which fogged it immediately. Not to worry I thought and set about polishing it out only for it to crack multiple times during the process. :swear:  Not to worry, I thought again,

I'll contact the nice chaps at Airfix and buy a replacement, but unfortunately the reply came back 'we have no more canopies in stock... sorry' :swear: 

So rather than giving up on it I decided to leave it as it is and claim that it had a nasty brush with a Spitfire! Or until at least an alternative replacement can be sourced. 

For this kit I used  Xtradecal sheet X48164, this particular aircraft is from 6./st.g 77 circa 1940. Painted with Xtracolor enamels and weathered with pastel chalks and oil washes.

The only additions I used were seat belts made from Tamiya tape, I also used  Eduard masks for the canopy (highly recommended), plus a little extra riveting here and there.

Thanks for looking, gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 52

Very nice Stuka! Excellent finish, especially how you got those "Balkenkreutzses" to fit on the undersurfaces.

I certainly have a soft spot for this. The markings look the same as in the old Airfix 1/72 kit years ago; at least I can remember the yellow nose and that bull. My second ever "Modelling attempt".

• Like 1

First thing I noticed was how beautifully you'd painted the canopy.  If you'd not have mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed the fogging. You've done a good job in rescuing it .  Really nice job ! :goodjob:

BillyD

• Like 1

Beautiful B-1, which was not a version frequently seen until Airfix saw fit to produce it in two scales.

I never noticed the canopy problem, so no worries! Outstanding paint job too. Are you sure the camo was not RLM 70/71 on top?

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Nice job on the airbrakes.  Very attentive.  I echo what others have said...didn't notice the canopy. But now that I have it seems that maybe there was some heavy petting going on in-between missions in the cabin...?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jean said:

Beautiful B-1, which was not a version frequently seen until Airfix saw fit to produce it in two scales.

I never noticed the canopy problem, so no worries! Outstanding paint job too. Are you sure the camo was not RLM 70/71 on top?

Congrats

JR

Thanks very much JR. The camo is in RLM 70/71 splinter, but it doesn't show up that well in the photos.  

6 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Nice job on the airbrakes.  Very attentive.  I echo what others have said...didn't notice the canopy. But now that I have it seems that maybe there was some heavy petting going on in-between missions in the cabin...?

Cheers John.  Maybe, but I can think of better more comfortable places for some heavy petting!

8 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

As the other have said, I wouldn't have noticed the canopy problem if you hadn't pointed it out. It looks excellent.

Thanks Gorbygould, I purposely photographed it so you can't see how bad it really looks.

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.   gazza l

• Like 1

Great looking Stuka, looks like Airfix have come up trumps with this kit, if not with their stock of replacement parts...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterairfix said:

That's a nice stuka I like it.

And as I have the same kit in my stash I better take care on that canopy.

Yes, please do take care of it and don't even let it look at white spirit!

Cheers everyone, gazza l

Looks very nice!

What do xou think about the kit itself? Mold quality and stuff... as I have read differing opinions about it!

Pity Airfix has no teplacement parts... :(

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks very nice!

What do xou think about the kit itself? Mold quality and stuff... as I have read differing opinions about it!

Pity Airfix has no teplacement parts... :(

Thanks very much exdraken.

I thought the kit was excellent, very good detail in the cockpit and a pretty good engine, should you want to display it with the cowlings off. You also get a choice of flaps up or down, elevators up, neutral or down and canopy open or closed.  Everything fitted together without any problems and I don't think I needed any filler anywhere .

The only downside was the lack of rivets detail, there are some but it could do with a lot more. There are also quite a few ejector pin marks most of which will be hidden once assembled, but there are a couple inside the cockpit which are visible and need filling... I didn't bother as I wanted the canopy closed.

Regards, gazza l

• Like 1

Lovely build,excellent finish.I posted mine a few weeks ago and I agree it is cracking,well fitting kit with no major problems.Luckily I survived without any canopy catastrophe's but as it has already been said if you hadn't of mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1