1/32 WNW Sopwith F1 Camel 'Le Rhone'

Dear all,

Just completed this evening, Wingnut's 'Le Rhone' engine version of the Camel.   I did experience a few hiccups during the build, but got there in the end.   Built out of box, brush painted and rigged with combination of 2lb fishing line and Prim elastic thread.  Presented in the markings for Canadian ace Donald McClaren.

I learnt a few lessons during this build which will stand me in good stead for when I get around to the the 2F1 'Ships Camel' version in my stash.  

Not perfect by any means but I am pleased how it turned out.

100_1736_zpsvfpz8fx8.jpg

100_1741_zps6556sgpg.jpg

100_1751_zps5xjfvuiv.jpg

100_1738_zps2r4bzmvw.jpg

100_1748_zpsjanlrnnl.jpg

100_1749_zpsfpdyyeiq.jpg

100_1750_zpsyf5qbqch.jpg

100_1745_zpsgeukmhla.jpg

100_1740_zpsmnlkpoub.jpg

100_1737_zpsyijyjfrl.jpg

100_1756_zpsdmtzykyq.jpg

100_1739_zpsref2ildp.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 24

dont know anything about ye olde wingythingies .but that to my untrained eye looks perfect!!:nerdy: i especially like the worn fabric around the cockpit:like: ,and your missus cutting around in the background,ninja stylie:ninja:

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I like that a lot, have you build/rigged a biplane before (just wondering as that is what's putting me off having a go at one)?

Duncan B

Hello, Duncan -

Thank you kindly.  Yes, I have rigged biplanes many times before.  Don't let rigging put you off - choose a biplane with minimal bracing wires as a starter.  The worst aspect of rigging is it can be tedious - planning where the wires will run (rigging diagram a must on kit instructions), lots of pre drilling holes and then threading and gluing lines in situ.  There are other methods of course.  I learnt by searching the web and found some excellent tutorials - then lots of practice .............

More than happy to help so drop me a line if you decide to have a crack.

Dave

• Like 1

Wow Dave that looks really fantastic. In spite of the problems that you had with delicate parts, this has turned into another of your gems. I hope to see this soon at a club meeting - I want to look more closely at those scuff marks on the fabric and ask how you did them because they are very good.

P

Thank you all kindly gents -

Pheonix - worn fabric effect done using a chipping effects solution - I only done this because there is a photo that shows McClaren's Camel with distinctive wear in this area so tried to hard to achieve a semblance of this look.

Regards

Dave

Nearly missed this one! Lovely job Dave hard to belive it was brush painted, you really acheive a flawless standard.. That scuffing looks spot on too.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

That looks great! Excellent finish with the brush as well.:yes: ( I'm a brush painter as well.)

I'm learning from my current 2F1 build, so I hope my Camel F1 "BR1" turns out as well as your when the time comes!

:cheers:

Devo

• Like 1