Hello from the Pilbara

Clem

Hi,

I'm a new modeler (currently working on my first two models more or less simultaneously). Because of my job, I only spend a short time at home each month which really limits my modelling time. As a result, my stash is growing far faster than my building...

Right now, I just want to improve my techniques (which are currently pretty poor) before starting on some more interesting kits. 

Currently, I've been building WWII planes, but I'm interesting in starting various Space related kits (I wish the Dragon Apollo 17 kit was still available), sci-fi (I have a Remora on order and a Nautilus in the cupboard) and things with an interesting history (such as Bronco's Chinese dreadnoughts). Owing to my slow pace, I can see this taking years...

• Like 1

Hi Clem, welcome to BM. Pilbara eh? Thats further out than woop woop. ;) I'm guessing from your intro that you're doing some kind of work involving FIFO, that would make modelling a challenge so well done you.

Steve.

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Clem, welcome to BM. Pilbara eh? Thats further out than woop woop. ;) I'm guessing from your intro that you're doing some kind of work involving FIFO, that would make modelling a challenge so well done you.

Steve.

FIFO is correct. I do four weeks on and one week off...

• Like 1

That sounds like a pretty tough routine but I guess it has its rewards. I've known a few Kiwis that have done similar but it seemed to pall after a bit. Any chance to model while you're on?

Steve.

In principle, it would be possible to model while away - I do get a bit of spare time plus the rooms have large desks and good lighting.

In practice, I gave it a go and really struggled. We can't bring paints on the aircraft so that provides a limiting step (particularly with aircraft with a cockpit that needs painting early) and if you're missing a tool then you've got a problem.

I suppose that the ideal model would be small (should easily fit into a tupperware container for easy transport), sturdy (to survive the transport home), require minimum tools and require intermediate painting.

• Like 1

Welcome Clem, same issue here except two and two so positively luxurious compared to you.  Share a room at work too, so by the time showers are done it's bedtime🙁 And not allowed any sharps so kind of limited there, too!

Hi, I'm pretty sure that we can have sharps (at least there is enough fishing and cooking gear around camp so that if they are banned, it's clearly not being enforced). 

Having done over two years of 4 and 1, I'd kill for an even time roster. 

• Like 2

Hello Clem :).

Good to have you on board and well done for getting some modelling in with the limited free time.

I'm a long way away on the same continent in chilly Canberra :cold: .

The no paint on the aircraft rule is a tough one. Would they allow water based acrylics? I guess 1/144 aircraft models would be ideal to fit in e.g. a sandwich box.

Otherwise, maybe 1/72 tanks with many parts to keep you busy, but can be painted when you get home? 

The Nautilus in the cupboard sounds like a nice future project.

Don't worry too much about the growing stash; something nice for when you retire ;).

All best regards

TonyT

Hi Clem,

Wecome to BM. I'm a mine-geologist with about 14 years FIFO . City.based now thank goodness but plenty of Pilbara and goldfields time. 4 and 1 is a very tough gig mate, you need something to do in the evenings other than going to the wetness. You should be able to  organise for paints and glues etc to be transported up overland using the company's logistics/ supply services. I would suggest talking to stores or management, this should be a routine request for them. After all, if the operation needed some paint it would be able to get it. So there must be a way. 👍

Hi TonyT,

The no paint on aircraft is (as far as I'm aware) a CASA thing. I really doubt that I'd be able to argue it at the counter. But I could bring up limited supplies if need be via Australia Post (we are close enough to a regional town to get regular mail). I'd be limited to brush work, but that isn't the worst thing. I think that the tank idea sounds the best - and if I leave the gun off, they should be easy-ish to transport. 

Hi Reconcilor,

I'm a chemist on the Wheatstone LNG project. I actually retrained as a Metallurgist a few years ago after many years of chemistry, but graduated just as the sector was crashing. Luckily, I found work as a water treatment chemist at Wheatstone, so I'm hoping that the resource sector will improve enough that I can jump into metallurgy at some stage in the intermediate future.  And if it doesn't - while I do have a stash of models. :) Limiting the nights in the wet mess isn't too hard for me as I'm not a big drinker. I think that I'll try to find a suitable model and give it a go.

I'm considering the 1/48 Aoshima Triton Submarine as it's small, compact, simple and interesting.

• Like 2

Hi Clem,

Welcome aboard - I am new here too - seems like an invasion from WA this week.

I look forward to seeing your projects develop - I am only too happy to help where i can.

Cheers,

CfB

Edited by Chooka
typo

Hi clem welcome to BM. Im a newbie myself from the usa. You Don't always need sharp stuff. You can use sprue cutters to do any cutting from sprue and removal of larger pieces if modifying. Then just sanding sticks to sand/polish it smooth. I've seen tips in the other entries on painting so you might have that sorted out. You also dont need whole kits you could bring some smaller sub-assembles to work on for larger kits a turret from a tank for example. Or maybe a cockpit or ordnance for an aircraft. I do a number of australian aircraft so i may send questions your way someday. Id love to share photo's but currently haven't looked into a 3rd party account. But i've done an RAAF P-40e and a Beaufighter both with foliage green (yes i know big can of worms with the foliage green discussion) camouflage. I also have a 1/48 RAAF PBY-5 catalina im planning to eventually do it as a night patrol/intruder much like a US Navy black cat. Its currently in partially built condition. Two problems holding me up currently with its build. one i need masks for the roundels and propee color for RAAF Blue. 2nd and bigger problem is storage i have a serious lack of storage space for built kits especially multi-engine stuff like bombers and patrol aircraft. Oh well bit rambling i apologize. Again i say welcome. 

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Brenden ... much obliged for the paint chips and links. Someday i will get my Catalina done. Its been partially built for 14 years and just sitting in the box. Though that will be my longest build ever.  i do have a PBJ-1h that took me 9 years. Again Thank you. 

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...