American 777 Body Colour

What colour would the fuselage of an American 777 be, as someone used Tamiya Pastel Grey spray paint, but it says on Tamiya's website explicitly to not use it on plastic models. Paint references would be very much appreciated. 

Regards

BetaSingh

I seem to remember replying to a previous post of yours and giving you several links for MD-11 decals.  Maybe you just forgot but I never received an acknowledgment let alone a word of thanks and a "like" for my trouble.

We're all willing to help but please don't forget that time spent answering queries is time spent away from our own models and I for one would like to know that my assistance is useful. 

As far as your present question is concerned, this thread on Airliner Cafe might be some help although unfortunately the photo links don't seem to be working.  The view seems to be that Boeing Grey overcoated with Tamiya TS-65 (Pearlescent Clear) is the best way to go but that opens up the question of what colour Boeing Grey actually is.  I normally use Halfords Racking Grey but opinions do differ.

• Like 2

I am ever so sorry for not acknowledging your previous post, as it helped me a lot, and thanks for helping me so much, your advice has come into use many a time. 

Sincere apologies

BetaSingh

Edited by BetaSingh

I've had a crack at doing this livery, so here's my experience.

As per Skodadriver's post, I followed the AirlinerCafe suggestion to overcoat Boeing Grey with Clear Mica, and here is the result.

AA772_DSC00260.jpg

It looks OK, but it isn't quite right. The actual aircraft (in my pic below) has a definite tint to the Mica finish on the fuselage and engines.

AA772_DSC_4058C.jpg  

With hindsight, I might have achieved a closer match by overcoating Boeing Grey with a tinted mica like Xtracolor X369 Mica2.

Hope this helps anybody contemplating this project.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 3

Thanks for that. I was also maybe thinking of just using TS 76, but I really do think the end result is a matter of perspective, as all the options in Airlinercafe seem to be pretty close to the actual result