1:48 Bristol Fighter - Revell

Lots of celebrating over the weekend following one of my daughters graduation, so the sum total of progress was a handful of decals. It looks a bit messy at the moment, but I expect it'll look fine once I've given it a matt coat. Once the fuselage decals are on & the matt coat has set I'm going to fit the buckles for the double rigging wires on the lower edge, then fit & do the rigging for the tail section.

35568913251_7f0280f8c2_z.jpgWP_20170703_20_18_58_Pro_LI (2) by Andy Moore, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is taking an age - painting the elevators upside down didn't help, the syphon flush thing in the upstairs loo needing replacing didn't help, way too much golf didn't help either. next weekend it's the front bearings on my car, two weeks after that I'm driving down to the south of France, so the target this week is to get the lower wings fitted.

Anyway, the tail is on (yes I know the rudder is missing). There's lot's of detail work going on in the background that I don't have pics of yet. I'm fitting all the eyelets for the rigging on the lower wing and boy are they small !

So here is the main body, waiting for the lower wing & the tail section to be rigged.

35575148620_a9de2b3856_z.jpgWP_20170716_18_38_58_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

35793472632_700cbd5050_z.jpgWP_20170716_18_38_36_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

• Like 3

I managed a few more hours today & decided to fit the lower wing. Firstly I fitted the little struts that attach to the fuselage & then attempted to dry fit the wing so that they were in the correct position. The trick is to do it with the plane upside down, otherwise it tips backwards, the struts splay & if you're really clumsy the rudder & one of the elevators snap off....

36114034595_4d327bf25a_z.jpgWP_20170723_12_19_07_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

The pic above shows the wing dry fitted & the rudder hanging on by the rigging.

I gave that time to set glueing the wing on. At this point I decided I should fit the undercarriage struts to increase the strength underneath.

35723443840_15ba728c44_z.jpgWP_20170723_19_32_19_Pro_LI 1 by Andy Moore, on Flickr

Then just to see what it looks like I dry fitted the wheels.

35945181282_aec6ef16d1_z.jpgWP_20170723_19_33_33_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

• Like 4

A little more progress this week, the elevators are rigged, wheels are on & exhausts are fitted.

Now I've hit what I hope is a minor problem. I ran out of Olive drab just over a week ago, so I stupidly ordered another bottle of the same stuff, by reading the number from the side of the one I'd emptied - 71.043. What a fool I am expecting to receive the same colour that i'd used before - although the number is the same, the name has changed from olive drab to US olive drab & it's a couple of shades lighter with more of a greenish hue to it. The original bottle does have RAL 7013 printed on the bottom of the label, so i'm going to use that as my guideline. Until I get the right colour I'm a bit stuffed as I haven't painted the ailerons yet.

36068755882_fcd8512a6c_z.jpgWP_20170728_19_01_46_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

This has really slowed down now, but now the summer is drawing to a close I should get more time available. The cabane struts are fitted & rigged, most of the eyelets are fitted to the bottom wing & fuselage. just another twenty or so to fit to the upper wing & then it can go on.

I dry fitted the prop just to see how it looks - I'm happy with that, although so far I've only painted the leading edge of one of the blades. The tail section is all rigged & one of the ailerons is now fitted to the lower wing - the replacement paint still didn't match exactly, but I managed to thin out & spray what was left of the original bottle as a final coat.

36249998344_a6cd975a61_z.jpgIMG_20170907_160733 by Andy Moore, on Flickr

36689175230_390608c240_z.jpgIMG_20170907_161909 by Andy Moore, on Flickr

36250029354_f65c356790_z.jpgIMG_20170907_161107 by Andy Moore, on Flickr

• Like 3

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, mackem01 said:

I've only just caught this and I have to say I admire your patience and eye for detail. As a convert to Bips myself I know how much fun your having really.

Keep it up.

Yes I am thoroughly enjoying this one, although threading ez-line through those tiny eyelets is going to take forever !

last weekend I was carrying some stuff down the stairs. Unfortunately when I thought I had got to the bottom of the stairs  there was actually still one to go. When my foot eventually hit the ground, my knee bent  backwards. I've  discovered that spending more than 30 minutes in a sitting position causes the whole thing to lock up, so I'm going to have to take yet another break for a while.

• Sad 1

While my knee recovers I've been looking at technical drawings of the F2B & I'm curious about the way the ailerons are rigged.

I can see that a control wire comes out of a small hole on the side of the fuselage, this goes out to a hole in the wing between the two outer struts, from there it comes out on the underside, over a pointy lever & connects to the lower aileron. there is a connection from the lower aileron to the upper one & then a similar connection through a lever & back into the top wing - but where does that wire go?

I'm guessing that it runs all the way through the upper wing across to the other aileron, does anyone know?

• 10 months later...

well it's been nearly a year since my last post. The rigging on this was getting the better of me, so I switched my attention to my railway, this has involved lots of wiring, scenery making & buildings - none of these look like they'll ever fly. Today I decided it was time to finish this one off - hell the stash has grown quite considerably. So the majority of the rigging was completed  - just the elevator control wire on the port side, and the wires that go to the vents on the engine cowl (I have no idea what they are for).

After that there are just a few minor details to add, clean up & final matt coat.

1/48 Revell Bristol Fighter

• Like 10

Thanks for all the kind words guys - I notice now that the skids on the underside of the wings are the wrong way round - shouldn't take too long to fix...

OK - I reckon it's finished now. When I get a chance in sunlight I'll take some more pics with a better camera - but here's what I managed to get before the sun went down.

I created the base & backdrop following the great SPAD disaster...

1/48 Revell F2B Bristol Fighter1/48 Revell F2B Bristol Fighter1/48 Revell F2B Bristol Fighter1/48 Revell F2B Bristol Fighter

• Like 3