Dragon 1/72 Mercury Redstone Quick Build

I wanted to prove to myself that it was possible for me to build a model out of the box so here it is.

It's the Dragon 1/72 Mercury Redstone where you get decal options for Freedom 7 (Alan Shephard) and Liberty Bell 7 (Gus Grissom).

Unfortunately the capsule is only approriate for Liberty Bell 7 as the capsule lacks the round windows for the early version flown by Shephard.

Nice box art

Dragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic001_zpsw

A simple kit

Dragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic002_zpsh

Complicated by a slight lack of any instructions. Simple enough to work out where everything goes though.

Just needed a little filler around the fin joints.

Dragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic003_zpsg

Halfords white primer on the main tube and LET (Launch Escape Tower) and Tamiya fine on the capsule.

Dragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic004_zpsp

I then mixed 9 parts Tamiya Rubber Black and 1 part X-25 Clear Green for the capsule colour giving it the greenish cast seen on the real thing.

Dragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic005_zpsl

That was yesterday.

Today, after a flurry of sanding, spraying with a mix of XF-2 and X-2 Flat and Gloss white, masking and spraying with rubber black on the main booster, sprayed the LET XF-7 Red and a little detail painting on the capsule I gave it a nice coverage of Tamiya Clear ready for decals

Sorry for the lack of progress pictures, I got a little carried away.

Dragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic006_zpsd

Thanks for looking

Phil

• Like 1

Decals on. Just needs a clear coat but it's pretty much done... although I won't rule out revisiting and adding some scratch fine detail later down the line.

Until then it's going on the display shelf :)

Dragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic007_zpsiDragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic008_zpsiDragon72MercRedWIP-10-06-17basic009_zpsc

I'll get some better pics in RFI once I've done the finishing touches.

Thanks for looking in

Rockety Phil :thumbsup:

Phil

• Like 7

Earlier today I received my Horizon Models Mercury-Redstone #2004. Talk about a detailed kit with full engraving when compared to the Dragon Models kit that is as smooth as a babies bum !

• Like 1

Very nice indeed! I'd be interested to see it next to something for scale. I've got a Thor ICBM in the cabinet and a Redstone would look good next to it. A really nice inspiring build, might add one to the collection after seeing yours.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Earlier today I received my Horizon Models Mercury-Redstone #2004. Talk about a detailed kit with full engraving when compared to the Dragon Models kit that is as smooth as a babies bum !

The Horizon Models is the more accurate kit by far. I also noticed that the black and white stripes around the top of mine didn't look quite right and it turns out they are too wide on the Dragon kit and consequently there aren't enough, ah well it's not a deal breaker for me.

Looking at photo's of the horizon kit I would probably tone down the rocket tube panel lines a bit just to keep them a little more subtle. You want them there but not 'in your face' there :)

Either way enjoy it, it looks a great version of the Mercury Redstone.

I have my eye on the Mercury Atlas kit but can't seem to find it in stock :(

Phil

9 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

I have my eye on the Mercury Atlas kit but can't seem to find it in stock :(

Phil

You could try and order it direct via Horizon Models which itself is an excellent kit.

I hope that they will treat us to a Gemini-Titan !

• Like 1

• 4 months later...