Italeri Ford Transit Mk.2 LWB Chassis/cab conversion with Tipper Body 1/24

The last few days I have mostly been watching paint dry. The white gloss went on last Thursday and the bits have been sat sitting in a box hardening off. Today was satin black day, then I remembered the cab windscreen surround and window rubbers needed doing, looks like tomorrow will be satin black day too. The tipper bed needs a coat of weathered metal paint mix applying which will be interesting. Wheels and tyres have been mated and it shouldn't be long before the remainder of the bits can be assembled.

There was also an interruption for a day out at the St. Ives Model Show, a bit quieter this year I thought but enjoyable nonetheless. 

190310.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Looking good! Still BRS colours?

i think so now that the white rattle can has been waved over it, but the BRS decals may take a while to arrive. I could do a Rothmans livery as requested but did they sponsor Tipper racing?:think:

5 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

i think so now that the white rattle can has been waved over it, but the BRS decals may take a while to arrive. I could do a Rothmans livery as requested but did they sponsor Tipper racing?:think:

Where did you get the decals? I'm trying to get some made but struggling...

The Tipper part of the build is 95% done, just the decals to apply and a light weathering and maybe some stones spilling out of the bed.

edit: Make that 90%, the hydraulic pump/fluid reservoir is still on the bench, doh!

053742.jpg 053740.jpg 053743.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
more info
  • Like 5

A little more progress. The cab has had the screen surround and rear window rubber painted, with it having more masking than Zorro. I've also installed a headliner in the cab to conceal the extra plasticard used to thickness the rear edge where it rounds off. Bits are slowly being added to the chassis too, mainly the suspension and drivetrain to date. Note an in-build mod of a groove in the box centred on the crossmember where the cab wall rear sits to allow drop in. 

091235.jpg      091049.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments.

Lately finishing the driver's seat subframe and then I decided to replace the kit tube legs for the passenger seats with something more to scale. I also discovered there is no backing for the headlights or front grille just a gaping void, maybe down to the age of the kit? These are to be rectified also. Hope to post some more progress photos later today after some more scratching.

Here are some photos of progress so far. Detail shots of the seat base yet to be painted along with the new tubular legs for the passenger seat. Trial fit of the Tipper and cab to the chassis, the front suspension needs some attention as the hub pivots are working loose.

132131.jpg  132214.jpg

131156.jpg 131121.jpg 131454.jpg

131912.jpg  131645.jpg

• Like 6

When I think of it too the 'run of the mill' subject does often get overlooked. Thanks for the comment Mr Jet.

Quarter light frames now aded to the doors, I used the kit windows and cut them down, probably way too thick in reality but I need to get this finished and it saved a trip to buy some clear sheet. Also finished the detail painting on the hydraulic ram pump/fluid reservoir, another 3D printed part. I also missed painting the black frame around the indicators, I really must read the instructions one of these days, and the door handles need painting too.

101938.jpg

• Like 3

Today I are mostly been experimenting with replicating patterned fabric. Having tried metal mesh I found that to be less than successful, mainly due to the size of mesh and its inflexibility. Then I thought to try fabric and found some insect screen mesh. This is the finish which has worked in some areas better than others. I think the problem lies with this still being too stiff to conform to the seat contours, perhaps net curtain fabric would be better and it also may benefit from a light coat of spray adhesive too to aid forming and alignment. We live and learn. Of course I could just blame the Ford trimming dept.?!

150933.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

After some 'persuading' the windscreen is in and the doors are hung using the daftest method in the known universe, talk about keyhole surgery. I think the purists will come up with hinge mechanisms that replicate the actual ones rather than the dinky toy version as offered in the kit. Anyway some good news the decals, with some personalised items added, arrived so it's on with the garnish and then some light weathering. All being well this build will be finished and on show at Scale Modelworld.

053524.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
extra info added

• 9 months later...

Due to a little mishap during its european tour the Transit is now back at home and having some running repairs. Next time I'll bolt it firmly to the display base. Anyway one front corner failed and the kit hub has been strengthened with a brass rod to locate into the chassis cross beam and a new plastic rod to take a new front wheel. The ram on the tipper has had a new brass rod through the pivot point and once the cab and chassis work will require remounting.

IMG_1580.jpg

• Like 1