1/48 - Vought F6U Pirate by Zimi Model (ex Kitty Hawk project)- 3D renders - release in ?

Homebee

This is bizarre, soon we'll be able to buy a kit of an aircraft that never made it into operational use but we still can't get a mainstream kit of a single seat Venom in any scale, I'm baffled by the thought processes that have led to this choice!

• Like 5

Gee - those lads on bookface don't seem to hold back any punches do they. I must admit, as crass as some of these comments are they aren't too far off the mark. 

Wez - is 100% spot on about this choice of subject as apposed to the poor old Venom which shows no sign of ever being kitted in this day and age. 

Cheers.. Dave

4 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I think this is great news, hope that an FJ-1 Fury comes next.

Why? These are has been and also ran aircraft, they didn't have careers or none worthy of comment yet for truly great aircraft used by many users, with long and distinguished careers we either have nothing or at best, a mediocre representation of the real thing! I wish Kitty Hawk would give us a decent Hunter or Vampire, stuff that was used world wide, not the limited nonsense of the F-6U or an FJ-1!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was a message saying that KittyHawk got one of each of the Collect Aire resin kits and is working their way through the list and turning them from resin to plastic !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Wez said:

Why? These are has been and also ran aircraft, they didn't have careers or none worthy of comment yet for truly great aircraft used by many users, with long and distinguished careers we either have nothing or at best, a mediocre representation of the real thing! I wish Kitty Hawk would give us a decent Hunter or Vampire, stuff that was used world wide, not the limited nonsense of the F-6U or an FJ-1!

I don't pick modelling subjects because of service histories or popularity, but more if a subject actually interests me.

I like the Venom also, but I'm not going to knock a company for daring to produce these types.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, 71chally said:

I don't pick modelling subjects because of service histories or popularity, but more if a subject actually interests me.

I like the Venom also, but I'm not going to knock a company for daring to produce these types.

No you're quite right and it would be a dull, dull world if we all liked the same thing!

I was at home to much-grumpy-on-the-wold for which I apologise.

Subject choice still baffles me though.

• Like 1

No need for apologies, I know how these things tug at the heart.

My guess is that Kittyhawk have got a USN thing going on, and I only hope this continues, a decent Savage and Skywarrior would be most welcome.  They must realise the limited appeal of some of the subjects, but it makes for an interesting and varied kit choice.

I like the Venom family aswel, and I hope that another manufacturer will pick that up, strikes me as a Special Hobby type - but who knows

• Like 2

The F6U has it's place in U.S. Naval aviation history as the first jet for the U.S. Navy. 
Successful or not still a cool jet to have in the collection.
Here is the sole surviving example restored by Vought at Pensacola.

https://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/aircraft/f6u-pirate/

On 6/11/2017 at 12:54 PM, 71chally said:

I think this is great news, hope that an FJ-1 Fury comes next.

I would like one too. In the NAS Oakland markings.
They are doing a -3 though.

• Like 2

I appreciate their passion for US Navy jets and it appears they will work their way though them all given enough time.  I have lots of unusual planes in my collection and this might be one I would add.  The Pirate is actually a relatively small aircraft so maybe the price will good too.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:36 PM, Homebee said:

Sourcehttp://scalemodels.ru/modules/news/img_13572_1548675391_51100888_1339851892823336_7297132797200695296_o.jpg.html

154867539.jpg

V.P.

What a strange camouflage scheme! 😁 Was the aircraft in this color scheme  realy in  USN? 😁😁

On 1/30/2019 at 11:36 AM, sinistervampire319 said:

Here is the sole surviving example restored by Vought at Pensacola.

https://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/aircraft/f6u-pirate/

They ( restorers) are lucky that now is not the time of the Inquisition. 😉😁

Because for such a restoration 😲then they would at least be

anathematized...as minimal! 😉

I hope Kitty Hawk model F6U is a  not 100% down scale of this restoration from Pensacola??? 

😲😁😁

B.R.

Serge

15 hours ago, Aardvark said:

What a strange camouflage scheme! 😁 Was the aircraft in this color scheme  realy in  USN? 😁😁

They ( restorers) are lucky that now is not the time of the Inquisition. 😉😁

Because for such a restoration 😲then they would at least be

anathematized...as minimal! 😉

I hope Kitty Hawk model F6U is a  not 100% down scale of this restoration from Pensacola??? 

😲😁😁

B.R.

Serge

A little leeway should be giver to the restorers at Vought because what they were given to restore was pretty much a fuselage and one wing riddled with holes. There's a lot with the resto that is incorrect but there were just no parts available. The people at Vought had to create a wing. I forgot where they got the nose gear but it certainly isn't from a Pirate. Obviously the canopy is just a bent sheet of plex. There were some photos of the hulk they retrieved from the desert along with some of the shop work during the restoration. They didn't have much to work with including money. 

1 hour ago, jpk said:

because what they were given to restore was pretty much a fuselage and one wing riddled with holes. There's a lot with the resto that is incorrect but there were just no parts available. The people at Vought had to create a wing. I forgot where they got the nose gear but it certainly isn't from a Pirate. Obviously the canopy is just a bent sheet of plex. There were some photos of the hulk they retrieved from the desert along with some of the shop work during the restoration. They didn't have much to work with including money. 

There are three ways to restore if there are no original parts.

The first way is the most costly in time and money is the manufacture of new parts according to the original drawings.

The second way is preservation in that state as it is.

The third way, which we see on the example of Pirate, when some parts are made of anything in common with the original, distorting the appearance of the prototype.

Of course, we can assume that we wanted to go the first way, but then something went wrong (ran out of money?) and it turned out as we see.

As for me, it is better to do the work correctly or leave everything as it is if don't have opportunity

finished , than to do some kind of fantasy.

B.R.

Serge

I think they (Vought volunteers) did well with what they had. If they could do a better repair of the canopy, acquire some tip tanks that resemble what was originally there it might look a little better. It is certainly an unusual example of a little known USN fighter that did not experience a successful career. 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Vought F6U Pirate by Zimi Model - 3D renders - release in ?
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Vought F6U Pirate by Zimi Model (ex Kitty Hawk project)- 3D renders - release in ?

Great to see something more interesting than your typical "favorite famous and widely used" aircraft.  The hobby is getting boring from the same old year on year...There is a niche for obscure subjects.