Revell 1/32 Bf109G-6 JG300 "Red 8" Finished!! :)

galgos

Glad you like it Kent, I'm certainly enjoying the build, it's re-energised my mojo which has been a bit lacking of late! No further progress possible though till Tuesday at the earliest.

16 hours ago, galgos said:

A bit of weathering and dirtying up:

vZAONK.jpg

one point  Max

German WW2 wheels usually have glossy black  hubs and dark grey tyres,  not always obvious in B/W,  as the gloss can make  them look lighter (ie RLM 02 like yours)

some  period colour

12+Messerschmitt+Bf+109+fighter+gunboat+

3692edf3cab247a0088ab497f4404c58.jpg

Not seen this before (or just  forgot..) Hungarian Gustavs... note small puma decal  on cowling

6ba9db57619c6614714efba9757b9662--ww-pho

some more  colour  shots here, 

http://thirdreichcolorpictures.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/messerschmitt-bf-109.html

HTH

cheers

T

• Like 3

Hmmm, food for thought Plasto. Need to take a longer look before doing anything further, though looking at my diary for next week I think it will be Thursday before I can get back to the bench! 

4 hours ago, Plasto said:

Google image bf109 wheels before you chuck the baby out with the bath water....

Happy to be corrected, and,  yes, you do see different images on the search,  but please  find  me  clear wartime  images showing something else...

i see salvage and restorations,  showing  something else

I don't claim every wheel was black,  but the standard factory finish was gloss black RLM 22, as I said, as  they are glossy, so can appear lighter, and get  covered in grot.

OK, here's an exception....

There are colours shots showing red... this was a quick recognition feature for different fuel grades, i've seen an image where the  use of a lens   filter makes them (and the red fuselage band) appear  white.

But this was a unit level modification.

6.jg27_g6as.jpg

but, factory finish is gloss black

109d_snow.jpg

gloss black, with dirt

jg77.g6_jeras.jpg

gloss black, but reflecting light

9.jg54_g2.ge3.jpg

gloss black

ii.jg54_f.lineup.jpg

Very late war there maybe exceptions,  as with everything  Luftwaffe. 

And, it's standard for  all aircraft wheels AFAIK

Bf110

cf901979e00aaac27aa436f4e014472f--color-

Fw190

5b3084bafa17ffb6f874f77919c7e4fd--focke-

Ju 88

fa627464eafde3abc100a4c7b91b9293.jpg

• Like 2

Wheels

Wonder what the towing tractor is some sort of Tankette??

Wheels

Wheels

Wheels

I think that with all rules there are always exceptions.. up to you Paint em glossy black or leave em as is..

Its your build..

Time will be the deciding factor I think more than historical accuracy, if there is such a thing in wartime....and I know from many years of aviation research that a definitive "This is how it was" statement can never be made about anything.

Max could I ask the cupboards you have in your den, where did you get them from? As they look to offer some sturdy stowage.

A slight thread deflection since I've had no bench time:  Two adversaries, both in the same scale, both nearing completion, both Revell kits but what a difference in size!

EOChWG.jpg

• Like 1

On 22/07/2017 at 4:25 PM, Ozzy said:

Max could I ask the cupboards you have in your den, where did you get them from? As they look to offer some sturdy stowage.

They are from Ikea Ozzy, the beauty of the system is that you can opt to have some sections "open", others with drawers etc to suit your particular need.  The smaller units, paint stands etc are from Hobbyzone, wouldn't be without them!

Max

• Like 1

Decided to spray the markings so that I could "manage" their intensity of colour:

Zq3LQa.jpg

KeL7TC.jpg

xQfkbT.jpg

d204OV.jpg

I've also sprayed the exhaust staining ready for the exhaust stubs to be fitted later today hopefully.

• Like 2

Just finished masking and painting the canopy, it's just placed in position at the moment:

HjWJ5n.jpg

qGdE55.jpg

OdYhTO.jpg

xdDPjx.jpg

KaVptr.jpg

RhU84E.jpg

There's a fighting chance I may finish this before 6 August.

Max

• Like 6

On 29/07/2017 at 06:34, galgos said:

No Wayne, the "8" is symmetrical along both its horizontal and vertical axes......I checked it carefully before applying it.

Thats true, I had the same problem and was doubting too until I measured..!

Also the same effect when you look at other builds of this plane or most 109 models that have an '8' on them. 

I reckon its the curve of the fuselage that makes the hollows of the 8 look different sizes to each other? 

It's an optical illusion Tony, for the same reason sign writers make a capital A very slightly taller than other capital letters and competent picture framers made the lower border of mount boards slightly wider than the top and side borders to avoid a distortion effect.

• Thanks 1

I'm at the dreaded stage of adding all the tiny details like pitot tubes etc which make the model so fragile.  I've made the restraining wire for the Erla canopy, started to fit the drop tank and prepared the hood, all ready for fitting together on Saturday if not before:

Iq7TPw.jpg

AGTRT0.jpg

zqrn9R.jpg

I should make the end date, with luck!

Max

You're right Wayne, the Revell instructions are pretty rubbish and don''t cover the particular fitment of the antenna on my Bf109 which is an early G-6 with a later Erla canopy so I'm having to check my reference sources carefully!  I hope I've got it covered now. :)

• Like 1