Sopwith F.1 Camel "The Duellists" (Part 1) - 1:32 Wingnut Wings

Sopwith F.1 Camel "The Duellists" (Part 1)

1:32 Wingnut Wings

cam89.jpg

This is the Sopwith Camel from the recently released 'Duellists' boxing from Wingnut Wings, reviewed here which also contains the LVG C.VI. Construction of the LVG is now underway and will appear in a seperate 'Work in progress' thread soon.

<Edit> WIP thread for the LVG is started! LVG C.VI "The Duellists" (Part 2) - 1:32 Wingnut Wings </edit>

WIP thread for the Camel - Sopwith F.1 Camel "The Duellists" (Part 1) - 1:32 Wingnut Wings

cam0.jpg

It is a beautiful kit with Wingnut Wings customary precision engineering and outstanding fit. Total, complete, and exceptional modelling pleasure in a box!

The write up with the kit gives the following information;

'On the morning of 9th October 1918 two Clerget powered F.1 Camels  from B flight of 4 Squadron Australian Flying Corps took off on a ‘special mission’ patrol. 26 year old Harold  Norman Kerr was in Camel E7190, accompanied by Vincent Harry Thornton in Camel E7241, They were to attack targets of opportunity with their bombs and guns, in much the same way that more than 20 years later in the second world war,the RAF crossed the Channel to conduct ‘Rhubarb’ missions.

The combat report states “..we saw a 2 seater machine over Merville which opened fire on us. We both immediately dived on the enemy aircraft from the side. 2/Lt Thornton fired about 200 rounds from a range of 50 feet. 2/Lt Kerr then fired about 100 rounds from 50 feet. E.A. continued diving until practically on the ground being followed by 2/Lts Thornton and Kerr both firing. Landed near Nieppe.”
Lt Thornton attempted to land alongside the 2 seater, but unfortunately hit telegraph lines and was severely injured, not being released from hospital until well after the Great War had ended
.'

On with the photos;

cam85.jpg

cam86.jpg

cam87.jpg

cam88.jpg

cam90.jpg

cam91.jpg

cam94.jpg

cam92.jpg

cam93.jpg

cam95.jpg

And paired with something else, Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup;

cam97.jpg

cam98.jpg

If you have never seen or built a Wingnut Wings kit, you really need to!

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 33

Now that's just marvellous. :goodjob:

Lovely pictures as well. Love the one looking down into the cockpit.

I'm still convinced doing the rigging through the "bullet" is witchcraft.

One day I'll get mine out of its box.

All the best, Martin

• Like 1

John,

Great work as usual - your camel really looks brilliant!.   I've almost finished building the Le Rhone version but I will be a bit embarrassed showing mine as yours looks so much better.   I actually had a few issues with mine - namely the cockpit structure is quite thin and I broke both the cockpit frame and control column whilst assembling.  I've lost count of the amount of times I broke the tailskid ............   I also experienced tight fit of fuselage and lower wing.  The good news is that I've learnt some lessons in readiness for when I get round to building the Ships Camel version in my stash.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Superb. Got to clear the bench of a couple of builds, then make a start on my first WnW, which will be the new D VII. I have the 2F.1 Camel, but need to try my hand a rigging first!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the comments guys, much appreciated as always!

3 hours ago, Epeeman said:

I've lost count of the amount of times I broke the tailskid ............   I also experienced tight fit of fuselage and lower wing.  The good news is that I've learnt some lessons in readiness for when I get round to building the Ships Camel version in my stash.

If it makes you feel any better Dave, I also broke the tailskid off mine. Worst was when it slipped out of my hand (before the wings were on), and quickly clamped my fingers around to catch it, and busted the 2 starboard cabane struts off. I managed to re-attach them, but butterfingers like mine definately don't help in the first place!

Cheers

John

20 hours ago, Viking said:

Thank you for all the comments guys, much appreciated as always!

If it makes you feel any better Dave, I also broke the tailskid off mine. Worst was when it slipped out of my hand (before the wings were on), and quickly clamped my fingers around to catch it, and busted the 2 starboard cabane struts off. I managed to re-attach them, but butterfingers like mine definately don't help in the first place!

Cheers

John

Actually John, that does make me feel better as I thought it was just me!!  -  I might get my Camel finished later this evening so will post up pics as soon as I can.

Regards

Dave