Queen of the Desert - 1:48 Tamiya Matilda

My next project, a out of the box of this little beauty.

35177633906_4858e9b479_b.jpg

Some sprue shots 

34373402214_d65120c6a6_b.jpg

35087987041_27dd1c4159_b.jpg

34830889530_e62706572a_b.jpg

35052257312_131bcbf5be_b.jpg

The markings and metal weights for the hull (better I think than the cast lower hull on the Crusader I did recently).

34373401484_77166e2865_b.jpg

I am going to do "Phantom"

34830912940_d91a556b2b_b.jpg

I have had a go at mixing the paints for the Caunter scheme from the stock of Tamiya Acrylics that I have. 

34830886540_46a4c47b3f_b.jpg

So all good to go. Any comments or advice very welcome.

• Like 4

Hi Simon. Good to see you back with another 1/48 armour build. I've got one of these in the stash so I will be interested to follow your build of this kit. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

neat! Based on my screen settings, your dark gray can use a hint of blue, but depending on your finishing methods, you can probably address that with glazing coats/filters. 

I'm interested to see how the Matilda builds up in 1/48. I'm happy Tamiya added it to their quarter scale collection, 

• Like 1

Thanks for the support fellas, hope I don't disappoint. I had a great day at the bench today. This kit almost falls together. 

Main hull components all sorted.

34846695120_2e9643ca20_b.jpg

Gun turret went together nicely.

34846694910_0e63ee2cda_b.jpg

Quick dry fit, looking good.

34389585414_ef3fa4af5f_b.jpg

The exhausts. Needs some cleaning up after drilling them out a little, but pretty happy with them.

35067830332_e327d3a647_b.jpg

As it appears "Phantom" did not have the cylindrical extra fuel tank, I needed to fill the slots at the rear of the hull with some plastic card.

34389585084_d1fe414ec5_b.jpg

And this is where I am at after a very satisfying day. First coat of my home brew Portland Stone.

34427643283_0984ccbbf0_b.jpg

• Like 5

So onto the camouflage scheme, I gather the pattern provided in the instructions is not quite correct, so I have tried to follow some other builds I found on the internet. This is therefore likely to be just a representation, rather than accurate. I was expecting it to be a challenge, but with some work I don't think it look so to bad. A few bits need some cleaning up.

34547814343_87723039c7_b.jpg

in between waiting for coats of paint to dry, I also made use of some washes and dry brushing on the wheels and lower hull.

35191311752_1a344c3b7a_b.jpg

So a satisfying afternoon's work.

34547814693_251fbeb3ff_b.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good Simon. Wish I'd realised before, as I could have PM'd you an accurate drawing of the pattern.

I'm not familiar with this kit (not the 48th version anyway), but I'm assuming that the upper and lower halves glue together and not like the early Tamiya 1/48th kits where they screwed together?

John.

• Like 1

Just a little bit more before bedtime. My first go at the appearance of paint chips using a little bit of sponge and some Tamiya XF 84,dark iron. Think it looks ok enough to have a go on the top of the hull as well, just got be careful not to over do it.

35361250175_a51447086b_b.jpg

34974201420_268d2d63fd_b.jpg

Also finished painting the tracks. A base of Tamiya XF84, followed by washes of Italeri Acryl Rust and Dark Earth followed by a dry brush with Tamiya XF56 Metallic grey.

35231443631_8f62d37689_b.jpg

• Like 3

Looks good. Next time you can try first use the lighten base colour first as the chips and then the darker. Also you can add some scratches with tiny paintbrush. If you interested look on my Sherman how it looks like.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments Kris. can you explain your method of chipping a bit more? Sounds interesting, and certainly looks good on your Sherman, but I am not sure quite how you do it.

in the mean time, i glued the tracks on (a bit of a fiddle - in the end I used superglue gel, which allowed a bit of repositioning), and then added the sides. After the glue had cured it was a case of touching up the camouflage here and there.

35354136332_e527ba3581_b.jpg

I brushed on a little floor polish where the marketing were to go, and then a very quick job to get the decals on.

35521198885_be08bfb29c_b.jpg

• Like 3

OK, let say your base colour is green ex. Olive green. When you paint your model add some white paint into the green colour. It makes it brighter. Use a piece of sponge as you have done with this dark colour. Then use the Dark Iron (personally I prefer for dark chipping Vallejo German Black Brown Camo) and do the chipping over the one you done with the brighter base, but try to make the smaller. The scratches as a lines I do exactly the same method except I am using the paint brush. That's it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not had a chance to post recently. Been weathering the tank with a variety of washes and some paint chipping. Hopefully I haven't overdone it, as the period photos do make these tanks look pretty beat up.

35466037750_4ec1c55ba9_b.jpg

35684869082_c06cf79599_b.jpg

just a few tools to finish off (of course lost one, so will need to do a bit of messing with some plastic card) and an aerial from some stretched spruce to go.

• Like 8

It's looking good Simon, and I don't think that you gone over the top. You know what effect sand blasting has. Then imagine what the Libyan desert, driven by strong winds would do to the paint work of a tank.

John.

• Like 1

Looks good to me... I like the camo and you've not gone over the top with the chipping.

In fact, I'd suggest that perhaps you need to add some along the bottom of the side skirts and maybe you should have chipped the vertical surfaces rather more than the horizontal surfaces? As John said above, we are talking heavy sandblasting effects and winds tend to blow on the horizontal.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi Simon. Sorry I've not stopped by for a while but it looks like you have done a great job in the meantime. Your weathering has come out really well. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive feedback. Just added a few of the last bits and pieces, along with some additional black/brown washes to dirty it up a bit further. 

35763306271_7f2542ae6e_b.jpg

Some more photos to follow in RFI. Thanks for following! 

• Like 1

That's a great job Simon. One thing though. If it's not stuck down, you might want to change that tow rope. For me it is one of the worst aspects of Tamiya's 1/48th kits as it doesn't have the twisted strand appearance that it should have. If you have any thin wire (similar to the old 5 amp fuse wire), just get about 6 strands and twist them all together until you're satisfied with the appearance. It looks far better than the string that Tamiya give you.

John.

• Like 1