Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

The Spadgent

Rigging Hell it's The Bloody Paryliser!!! Handley Page 0/400 1/72

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm presuming this one won't end up covered in custard...:winkgrin:

 

A fascinating project and sure to be up to your usual rollercoaster ride you take us on!

 

Sorry to hear about the rough day btw. A dancing dog sometimes helps I find. :dog: 

Tony

Nae promblems, I had a good sleep and sorted out my grumpy chop. The dog still helped.:lol:

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks for that. Mrs Martian has now started calling me the Globulous One now! :dalek1:

 

Martian

 

(Just wait until I get my tentacles on you!) 

Terribly sorry "oh glob......." errr Martian . 

memories are short on ze red planet. She'll forget soon enough.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys. The grumpy mood didn't last and I managed to get a little more done last night. I didn't like using fuse wire for the rig inside the fuselage as it looked too wobbly so I bought some super thin plasticard from the LMS and cut myself some super thin strips.

FC55A98D-FB21-47EF-9B18-1087E48CC8D1_zpss1jt7o42

These were then glued onto the new surfaces with Tamiya green cap.

75167DB7-027A-452A-A93F-5874EAEF632C_zps1byvdehf

A lot like what Martian had done but with sprue. 

A dry fit of the floor sections went quite well, I also primed to see where I was at.

34767FDA-92AE-4B83-9659-E1B3206E9A94_zps15rgt5k5

none too shabby, the fit seems ok so far.

lets see if the other side goes on.

328079BD-C09C-4B9F-8067-1FA8C2EC814A_zpsijz0ihrf

:rofl:wonderful. I have also sanded off the pin marks on the top under side of the fuselage, not as though you'll see it.  How can I spend two hours on removing and replacing little wires?

well that the allure I guess.:blush:

I managed to glue the fuel tanks and un flash the rear seat position parts.

E770C4B7-CABE-4145-8109-C608F34432BA_zpsnqpw7csx

Some more clean up as they look a little like Zig or Zag off the Big Breakfast. Fuel tanks over the bombs eh. Brave lads. :blink:

Thats yer lot I'm afraid. I have a tonne of stuff to do, boys birthday wrapping, another gig. GnR! And Father's Day to boot.  I hope you all have a spiffing weekend.

Thanks for dropping by for a quick cuppa.

 

Happy Modelling.

 

Johnny boy.

 

Edited by The Spadgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thats yer lot I'm afraid. I have a tonne of stuff to do, boys birthday wrapping, another gig. GnR! And Father's Day to boot.  I hope you all have a spiffing weekend.

 

Oh you poor thing. What a harsh life you lead.

mutter mutter mutter wanted to go to that one muitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Oh you poor thing. What a harsh life you lead.

mutter mutter mutter wanted to go to that one muitter

Same thought crossed my mind ... :D

 

Nice progress, Johnny Gig! :clap:

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

 Fuel tanks over the bombs eh. Brave lads. :blink:

I guess their motto was : 

 

Suus 'melior uanescet quam uri sunt

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks miles better!

 

As to Mrs Martian, she is an Earthwoman. Since when did they ever forget anything?

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's some fine work on a beast of an ac, well done mate!

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Spad,

If you don't mind, I'll pick a seat on the back, havin' a beer and look the 0/400 unfolding.

You did great, I agree with the glo.. martian about the interior rigging, I did it that way.

Will not follow you this time, hand full with the P-38's, the Seafires and a very special AAA battery !! Started with our favourite alien !

Will follow with interest !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Oh you poor thing. What a harsh life you lead.

mutter mutter mutter wanted to go to that one muitter

Yes I see what you mean. :blush: I didn't mean it to sound like it was a pain. Just a plastic distraction is all. 

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Same thought crossed my mind ... :D

 

Nice progress, Johnny Gig! :clap:

 

Ciao

Thanks. :lol:

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I guess their motto was : 

 

Suus 'melior uanescet quam uri sunt

 

I translated that. 🙃

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That looks miles better!

 

As to Mrs Martian, she is an Earthwoman. Since when did they ever forget anything?

 

Martian

Thanks M. Earthworm you say. Hmmmm yes big old memory, your scuppered. :blink:

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

That's some fine work on a beast of an ac, well done mate!

 

Rob

Why thankyou sir.

33 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

If you don't mind, I'll pick a seat on the back, havin' a beer and look the 0/400 unfolding.

You did great, I agree with the glo.. martian about the interior rigging, I did it that way.

Will not follow you this time, hand full with the P-38's, the Seafires and a very special AAA battery !! Started with our favourite alien !

Will follow with interest !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks C.

it does seem like you have your plate rather full there. :o Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

 

Jont.

Edited by The Spadgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...well I will say - you certainly go the extra mile - I'm watching with interest on what is becoming 'another classic build' - are you sure you don't do this for a living :rofl:

...if you don't - maybe you should - you have the eye - brilliant work as always - :clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2017 at 8:07 PM, BIG X said:

...well I will say - you certainly go the extra mile - I'm watching with interest on what is becoming 'another classic build' - are you sure you don't do this for a living :rofl:

...if you don't - maybe you should - you have the eye - brilliant work as always - :clap:

Thanks. I do work as an artist but alas not building kits. Sorry for the lack of build updates, it's been a busy weekend, it's the young uns birthday tomorrow and I'm in London on Wednesday for work so plastic is taking rather the back seat I'm afraid. :blush:

Hopefully I can get back in action before the weekend.

 

Johnny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At last I get a swift bit of bench time.:penguin:

Gigs, birthdays and working darn in the smoke all done!

Dancing penguin indeed! 

 

First off off I managed to tidy up all the little rear seat parts and fuel tanks then bunged some primer on everything ready for a bit of pre shade loveliness.

D27839B2-7BCB-493A-948F-2845237B84CF_zpsajjb1a2r

Then I saw that the bombs need to be added too.

46CDA855-AC09-4C9F-A9AD-09EEE0987E27_zpstv34mgk6

Flash! Ahhhh ahhhhhhhhh. <_< 

I know I'm doing the last days scheme so bombs wouldn't be on board but I really want to add the bombs. They do look a right pain though. About an hour in I'm here.

E2D6B94B-FD34-49EF-B41F-35CA932C1549_zpsooplt2hb

three to go and then I still have more clean up and I'm loosing the will to live so I need something more fun. :lol:

I know!

D74156EC-6F8B-4AE2-8DF6-A5F8151B07AE_zpsqpa9lykq6C805B93-40A8-4372-8470-4D84DF4709FF_zpsddvjqvpl

sanding.:huh:

That's right, I'm going for it. First pass is a bit patchy.

07B4B169-ABB2-4780-BD90-9E4EDAEA1819_zpsu477dmcp

this is primed so I give it another go,

finding a nice little way of evening out your sanding on ribs if you ever undertake the 0/400 challenge.

8CE9A737-B143-47A2-AED4-CE7B45CADF94_zpsustwix4p

basically the primer gives a guide on where you are taking height from letting you even out the rib dips.

and again primed.

61DCBD5E-38F1-4538-BC31-2C56EEBF88A0_zpst7sgjakq

not bad to my eye. It's a tired eye to be sure but even still not bad.

8677868D-ACB4-4BB1-BE7F-B03EF371D97A_zpsjsxiivxn

side by side I still need more off I think but the plan is working. By the way going back to the bombs. Green or black?

Im off to bed now as I've just noticed the time.

 

Thanks for dropping by.

Take care you lot.

 

Johnny sand stick.

Edited by The Spadgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great improvement on the wings! As to the bombs, they were probably a kind of buff colour.

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wing really looks a lot better Johnny :thumbsup2: .

That's a good tip with the primer acting as a guide.

Looking forward to the interior coming together :)

 

Best regards

TonyT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the others said, great work on the wings Johnny! :clap::clap: 

 

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive improvement on the wings, but I'm not sure I like the look of those bombs; no criticism of you, just the kit plastic looks thick for the tails. What will be visible once they're loaded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good, great improvement to the wings with the ridges removed/reduced.

Seem to recall that there was something about the bombs in the Airfix Classic British Bombers book? Something about the doors on the cells were closed and operated by the release of each bomb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

Looking good, great improvement to the wings with the ridges removed/reduced.

Seem to recall that there was something about the bombs in the Airfix Classic British Bombers book? Something about the doors on the cells were closed and operated by the release of each bomb?

The doors were spring loaded and opened under the weight of the released bomb.

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

At last I get a swift bit of bench time.:penguin:

Gigs, birthdays and working darn in the smoke all done!

Dancing penguin indeed! 

 

First off off I managed to tidy up all the little rear seat parts and fuel tanks then bunged some primer on everything ready for a bit of pre shade loveliness.

D27839B2-7BCB-493A-948F-2845237B84CF_zps

Then I saw that the bombs need to be added too.

46CDA855-AC09-4C9F-A9AD-09EEE0987E27_zps

Flash! Ahhhh ahhhhhhhhh. <_< 

I know I'm doing the last days scheme so bombs wouldn't be on board but I really want to add the bombs. They do look a right pain though. About an hour in I'm here.

E2D6B94B-FD34-49EF-B41F-35CA932C1549_zps

three to go and then I still have more clean up and I'm loosing the will to live so I need something more fun. :lol:

I know!

D74156EC-6F8B-4AE2-8DF6-A5F8151B07AE_zps

6C805B93-40A8-4372-8470-4D84DF4709FF_zps

sanding.:huh:

That's right, I'm going for it. First pass is a bit patchy.

07B4B169-ABB2-4780-BD90-9E4EDAEA1819_zps

this is primed so I give it another go,

finding a nice little way of evening out your sanding on ribs if you ever undertake the 0/400 challenge.

8CE9A737-B143-47A2-AED4-CE7B45CADF94_zps

basically the primer gives a guide on where you are taking height from letting you even out the rib dips.

and again primed.

61DCBD5E-38F1-4538-BC31-2C56EEBF88A0_zps

not bad to my eye. It's a tired eye to be sure but even still not bad.

8677868D-ACB4-4BB1-BE7F-B03EF371D97A_zps

side by side I still need more off I think but the plan is working. By the way going back to the bombs. Green or black?

Im off to bed now as I've just noticed the time.

 

Thanks for dropping by.

Take care you lot.

 

Johnny sand stick.

Bomb colour and correct marking? 

Just what you need!

 

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30021477

 

Selwyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good John.

Those old Airfix kits take some bashing but it is going to be fun.

 

Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wings look much better, but I'd get a piece of sandpaper and work fore-and-aft along what remains of those ridges (just finger pressure in between them should do it) to remove the last traces of any sharp edges.

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/06/2017 at 1:39 AM, Martian Hale said:

A great improvement on the wings! As to the bombs, they were probably a kind of buff colour.

 

Martian

Thanks M.:lol:

On 23/06/2017 at 3:32 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

The wing really looks a lot better Johnny :thumbsup2: .

That's a good tip with the primer acting as a guide.

Looking forward to the interior coming together :)

 

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks. So am I. 

On 23/06/2017 at 7:42 AM, giemme said:

As the others said, great work on the wings Johnny! :clap::clap: 

 

Ciao

Thanks.

On 23/06/2017 at 7:52 AM, amblypygid said:

Massive improvement on the wings, but I'm not sure I like the look of those bombs; no criticism of you, just the kit plastic looks thick for the tails. What will be visible once they're loaded?

You will only see them from the under side. If at all. I'll check and make a call. I do agree after seeing the ref.

On 23/06/2017 at 9:35 AM, bristol boy said:

Looking good, great improvement to the wings with the ridges removed/reduced.

Seem to recall that there was something about the bombs in the Airfix Classic British Bombers book? Something about the doors on the cells were closed and operated by the release of each bomb?

Thanks .

Hmmmmm:hmmm:I'll check my book.

On 23/06/2017 at 9:50 AM, Howlindawg said:

That's a big improvement for the wings John.

The originals look like a corrugated iron shed roof.

Thanks. They're getting better still with more sanding.

On 23/06/2017 at 9:57 AM, Martian Hale said:

The doors were spring loaded and opened under the weight of the released bomb.

 

Martian

Ahhh ok. Cool thanks. I might not do the bombs after all.

On 23/06/2017 at 0:18 PM, Selwyn said:

Bomb colour and correct marking? 

Just what you need!

 

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30021477

 

Selwyn

Ooh lovely. Thanks, that got me searching the web and I found this which looks more like the Airfix bomb 

14904DA3-38E7-465B-B51C-9879265CA5D4_zpscaqc7ha8641B093F-38C3-4410-B6EC-C50475D764AC_zpsmj7av2e0

If I do fit the bombs I think I'll re do the fins.

On 23/06/2017 at 0:24 PM, Spookytooth said:

Looking good John.

Those old Airfix kits take some bashing but it is going to be fun.

 

Simon.

Yes it is and thanks.

On 23/06/2017 at 2:05 PM, limeypilot said:

The wings look much better, but I'd get a piece of sandpaper and work fore-and-aft along what remains of those ridges (just finger pressure in between them should do it) to remove the last traces of any sharp edges.

 

Ian

Yup, I think you're right. Thanks.

 

:giles:

 

thanks for for all your lovely kind words. Hopefully I'll get a little more time this weekend.

 

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this in my ref book.

C1853E56-A09D-42D7-9977-0620B1484D17_zpswsgtk0bt

and

D540CE54-8066-403E-BC8F-11BF1E8B0B8A_zpssa3s1zsa

so it looks like @Selwyn

was right about the 1200 lb bomb. 

However it looks like the release mechanism was a spring locking arm and not a trap door so you can see inside. Due to this turning into a bit of pain and due to the fact my aeroplane wouldn't have been loaded I might just leave them off and save myself the heart ache.

 

what do you think?

 

All the best and thanks for your help.

 

Johnny.

 

Edited by The Spadgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Lazy Muddler here would definitely vote for the leave them out option! And would you really want to be inverting a fully rigged biplane this big just to peer into the bomb cells...?! :unsure: :fraidnot:

 

Can I add to the chorus of 'well dones' on the wing ribs - vast improvement Johnny, very nicely done ! :thumbsup:

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...