Rigging Hell it's The Bloody Paryliser!!! Handley Page 0/400 1/72

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice start!

I'd sand most of those "ribs" off, remember, this is 1:72, and the fabric was taught, so there certainly shouldn't be any "edges" to the ribs.

Ian

I would go along with what Ian says. I didn't when I made my 0/400 and have never been quite happy with it since.

Martian, talking sense for a change.

• Like 2

Great start Johnny and I'm glad to hear that you the concert was good!

Rock and Roll and Rigging :spider::guitar: !

Some time ago on my still stalled triple I-16 build (I've found them..it will start again :o), I was encouraged to remove inaccurate wing rib detail.

I made a complete bobbins of it, three times.

I've nearly had enough therapy to do it again. Also, watching Ian (Limeypilot) and Jerszy-Wojtek (JWM)'s builds has given me a more hopeful attitude towards it.

I mention this as I agree with Ian and Martian on the ribbing. I know how scary a task it would be to me, so I was hesitant to mention it. Still, it's important to enjoy making the model, so as always, whatever suits you best Johnny :).

The steering column and wheel look a lot better! 

Would the Major K. Park that flew around Britain in it be the same chap as Sir Keith Park? That makes your model even more fascinating. An amazing man.

I found a 1/48 scratch build that might be of use in terms of the interior, or just a good read :).

http://www.wwi-models.org/IM/British/hp_0-400.html

One day, I had hoped to build one of these as the sole Polish machine. I'm watching with great interest. It looks very scary :door: !

Great stuff Johnny, onwards :hobbyhorse: !

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Would the Major K. Park that flew around Britain in it be the same chap as Sir Keith Park? That makes your model even more fascinating. An amazing man.

That rings a bell; I believe it was.

• Like 1

It was.  [Extract from RAF PR blurb when they put up the statue of KP in Waterloo Place]

Sir Keith was originally from New Zealand and became an air ace with the Army’s Royal Flying Corps. Initially in the First World War he served as a soldier at Gallipoli and the Somme, but became a pilot and ended the war having shot down 20 enemy aircraft. After the war, at a time when air flight was still in its infancy, he decided to demonstrate what could be accomplished with large aircraft.   Sir Keith and his crew of eight flew their Handley Page 0/400 with two 350 h.p. Rolls-Royce engines at an average airspeed of 66mph. The 1,880 mile flight in 1919 took 30 hours in the then state-of-the-art bomber despite unpredictable weather, and returned four days later.

(Average air speed of 66mph...?  Oh. Em. Gee.)

By the way, if you haven't seen this, it's well worth a look.  Partly because it might show you things you've missed, but mostly because it's a stonking piece of scratch building:

http://www.wwi-models.org/IM/British/hp_0-400.html

Ooh, and more folding goodness, as befits an aircraft with naval roots (not to mention a colossal wingspan for that era).  Go on, you know you want to...

X001-2606-42LG.jpg

P.S. The folded wings appear to have no visible means of support other than the hinge, which I guess explains the enormitude of that tree-trunk strut at the fold point!

I haven't studied the Airfix instructions, but broadly their view of the rigging doesn't look too bad, judging by this shot.  I think I built this kit approximately 50 years ago...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Aerosmith were great by the way.

EDC8AF2F-144C-4E21-9656-C919B4EAF6EB_zps

I saw Aerosmith (supported by Chris Cornell) about ten years back when they played in Dublin.

Absolutely stunning - definitely a stand out gig to look back on.

Steve Tyler's on stage energy would have put a 20 year old to shame. :jump_fire:

• Like 5

Just found the link to here from your RFI of that lovely P-38 you just finished Johnny. I 'built' one of these things about a week after it first came out, and as was the fashion in those days 'rigged' it with cotton purloined from my mam's sewing box. What a cracking dust collector that was...!! I don't recall adding any soft furnishings to the interior though...!! I bought one of the re-issues when they were being flogged off cheap with the intention of trying to build it properly, so I look forward to following along & seeing how it should be done!

Keith

• Like 1

I remember wanting one of these as a kid but was never brave enough to buy it. Remember doing one of the WWI dogfight kits instead. Will be following with interest.

Edited by dave665
  • Like 1

I have just found theis: - shows how far behind I am! I wrote a build thread for this on Airfix Tribute Forum a few years ago under the handle Stevef - it was the third model I attempted after returning to the hobby after a 30+year break. There are some issues with the kit - in particular I found that the tail needed some attention as the fuselage holes were in the wrong place for the struts. I sanded down the ribs completely. The fuselage need to be assembled carefully and in stages - although you cannot see the fuel tanks they are essential as they help provide essential support and help keep the structure square. I was not helped by having the upper part of the centre section of the upper wing missing so I had to mould one! The engines were fun to mount too - read how I did it as i cannot remember the details now.

The rigging is not really bad as this model is so large you can get to it. Except the tail that is, which I rigged during construction. I assembled the wings in stages and certainly not as per the instructions because otherwise the rigging is almost impossible - again see my blog. This actually  builds intto a good model if you have the patience - so take your time and you will be well rewarded. Here are some pics odf mine - an RNAS machine from early 1918. All markings were hand painted except for the "lift here" markings because the transfers from my kit were too old and were past use. I rigged this with clear thread - and it nearly drove me mad as I could not see the d********d stuff!

P

34895762500_64ee46dea1_c.jpg

34439344484_60f27c1621_c.jpg

34473356923_b52cc060f9_c.jpg

• Like 16

Hello, by the way this is my favourite version by Aerosmith. Hope you enjoyed the concert . Walk this way with Run DMC  was also a stunner on M-tV in the late 80's. Love that video too:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello, by the way this is my favourite version by Aerosmith. Hope you enjoyed the concert . Walk this way with Run DMC  was also a stunner on M-tV in the late 80's. Love that video too:

That an Sweet emotion..

• Like 2

Wowza you guys have been busy.  All that research you are doing for me is invaluable I can't thank you all enough,:yahoo:The back story of Major Kieth Park especially has made this even more compelling for me as well as the build, there was only a snippet in the windsock data file I have so this stuff is fascinating. 66mph :o.

I think I'll sand the ribs back and see what I have left. I might add the tape lines too.

Bringing back memories of @TonyTiger66's wing rib nightmare is not somewhere I'd like to go so I'm still looking to keep what I can.:yikes:  Oh and @pheonix Your 0/400 is amazing, if my one turns out anything like that I'll be over the moon. Those ladders are ace, were they scratched?

Talking of scratch building, how ace is that 1/48 0/400? :clap:

Glad to hear of the Aerosmith love too, it will be their last U.K. Gig So I had to see them again one last time. :giles:

it's been a rotten day at work today so I tried to get some Modelling done to calm my bones. Bad idea.:angry: the milliput hadn't set, I must not have put enough of the second part in,:banghead: so after blabbing around with half dry MP I scraped it all out and tried to sand off some of the planks stupidly using the metal rod end of the coffee thing as the MP hadn't set. Bad ide number two. It worked for a short while but as I was blasting away at it I didn't notice what a shoddy job I was doing, lumps, bumps, holes, scratches.:badmood: honestly don't model in a grumpy mood. 

No pics of the horror as I just ploughed on and tried to fix as best I could, I used Mr Surfacer on the damaged floor part and glued plasticard in the gaps.

91AFF884-7C56-4052-B05A-6BD910B759D6_zpsklhjmtnh

not too bad, most of not all of the wobbly bits will be under the seat and mid join anyway. I blasted some primer to check all was well.

BC21516A-2B83-4CCC-9583-DFB59166927F_zpsbwkzypue

Im happy with that, it's representing wooden planks anyway so I'll take What I can get today.:mellow:

I did start on getting rid of the pin marks on the main fuselage, one side done and blasted with a smidge of primer.

5406717B-3085-4EF1-9239-14150CBA3CDE_zpspznnhejx

pretty good. I've added some Mr S and I'll have to re instate the lost wires but I'm going to end it on a high. :rolleyes: If I carry on I know I'll put my foot in it. <_<

it looks as though Photo Bucket is playing up and the pics aren't showing so more reason to go to bed and say bye to today.

if they work cool, if not I'll try and fix em along the way.

Thanks again for all the interest in this Big CrAzY build.

it warms the soul knowing you're all out there. 

Take care and happy moddeling chums.:christmas:

Johnny.

ps. Photo bucket is fixed so i fixed it. 

Yay!

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 17

Looking ace Johnny. 

Glad you enjoyed Aerosmith. I went to the milton keynes bowl, in the mid 90's, to see ben jovi supported by gun. That was a good show. 

I keep seeing people using this mister surfacer. Is it any good? What is it? Is it like a thick primer? 

Keep it up, and I hope your mood improves. Nowt worse that modelling in a bad mood, I've tried, and it's best just to give up.

Matt

• Like 1

Ooh, Gun - forgotten them.  There was a period when Taking On The World was an ever-present on my ... I was going to say iPod, but we're talking late-80s, so probably Walkman!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ooh, Gun - forgotten them.  There was a period when Taking On The World was an ever-present on my ... I was going to say iPod, but we're talking late-80s, so probably Walkman!

Word up!

• Like 2

Just a tip, I found it easier to lose the moulded in rigging detail on the insides of the fuselage, sort out any ejector pin marks and the re-instate the rigging from stretched sprue. You will also find that the apertures for the bombs in the underside of the lower wing do not match the mounts provided n the kit for the bombs. I bottled this one and did the model with the doors closed.

Martian the Helpful (or not, depending on your point of view)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, pheonix said:

Thanks for the kind remarks about my model. Those ladders were scratch built - I decided to add them as in most photos of 0/400' on the ground they are there.

P

I bought a set of ladders for railway modelling to use with mine.   We'll see how well that plan works....

Ian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Looking ace Johnny. 

Glad you enjoyed Aerosmith. I went to the milton keynes bowl, in the mid 90's, to see ben jovi supported by gun. That was a good show. 

I keep seeing people using this mister surfacer. Is it any good? What is it? Is it like a thick primer? 

Keep it up, and I hope your mood improves. Nowt worse that modelling in a bad mood, I've tried, and it's best just to give up.

Matt

Everyone likes a bit of Bon Jovi. :lol:

Yes Mr Surfacer is just like thick primer. 500 thickest, kinda like Dulux emulsion. 1000 thinner (single cream) and 1200 thinner still (Tamiya paint) it brushes on and fills little cracks a treat, also smoothed off rough surfaces.

6 hours ago, Leonl said:

Good result. Sometimes it's best to leave the bench and hit the vino! That said your perseverance has paid off! 

Yes Vino, lots of it. And thanks. :lol:

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Just a tip, I found it easier to lose the moulded in rigging detail on the insides of the fuselage, sort out any ejector pin marks and the re-instate the rigging from stretched sprue. You will also find that the apertures for the bombs in the underside of the lower wing do not match the mounts provided n the kit for the bombs. I bottled this one and did the model with the doors closed.

Martian the Helpful (or not, depending on your point of view)

Thanks for the tip on the wires. Saying that I have just bought some super thin plasticard to make some new rig details. Mmmmmm great minds and all that. Although yours is totally greater oh Green globulus one. :worthy:

4 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Beautiful,

I once got halfway into a 1/28 scratchbuilt O/400, after the fuselage was finished the project stalled and didn't survive a housemove.

Love your work.

That's a pitty, sounds wonderful. 

Thanks for your kind words, I hope this one turns out to be good un. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, pheonix said:

Thanks for the kind remarks about my model. Those ladders were scratch built - I decided to add them as in most photos of 0/400' on the ground they are there.

P

Stunning! I might try that out. They really add a lot.

9 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I bought a set of ladders for railway modelling to use with mine.   We'll see how well that plan works....

Ian

Or maybe.:hmmm:

• Like 5

I'm presuming this one won't end up covered in custard...:winkgrin:

A fascinating project and sure to be up to your usual rollercoaster ride you take us on!

Sorry to hear about the rough day btw. A dancing dog sometimes helps I find. :dog: 

Tony

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks for the tip on the wires. Saying that I have just bought some super thin plasticard to make some new rig details. Mmmmmm great minds and all that. Although yours is totally greater oh Green globulus one. :worthy:

Thanks for that. Mrs Martian has now started calling me the Globulous One now! :dalek1:

Martian

(Just wait until I get my tentacles on you!) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1