Rigging Hell it's The Bloody Paryliser!!! Handley Page 0/400 1/72

Really looking forward to this Johnny. I've got it in the stash too and really fancy having a crack at it. Have bookmarked this for info and tips obviously, but what I expect to be a proper rip-roaring thread.

• Like 2

Definitely want to watch this build, it's one of those kits I've often wanted to try (along with the Matchbox Heyford & Frog Vimy) but never had the dogs danglies (is that right ?) to buy and build.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this, I have one too that I plan to build in the future. There's a good build article in the Airfix Build and convert series, the Classic British Bombers one I think. Seem to recall there's a way of rigging it before the top wing surface is fixed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

I see from Scalemates this was originally tooled sometime in the 1960's. Good luck with it.

Tail's a bit dodgy too I hear...

2017-06-11_08-57-50

Flight magazine, October 1920.

...prompting Miss Sylvia to leave head-first:

2017-06-11_09-10-36

• Like 12

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

...prompting Miss Sylvia to leave head-first:

In that case we shall all be expecting a scale model of Miss Sylvia to go along with the model. What's good for the Baroness is good for the Spadgent!

Martian

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

In that case we shall all be expecting a scale model of Miss Sylvia to go along with the model. What's good for the Baroness is good for the Spadgent!

Eminently reasonable. Quite agree! 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I am a reasonable alien as you well know. COME ON JOHNNY! Haven't you finished yet?

Martian von Sweetness and Light

• Like 4

Thanks to everyone for the interest in this lovely aeroplane. It seems I'm two pages in and not even a whiff of glue or cut plastic. Best remedy that!:lol:

Aerosmith were great by the way.

EDC8AF2F-144C-4E21-9656-C919B4EAF6EB_zpszbssjwsc

Any way let's get on with the show before @Martian Hale explodes.

The first few steps would have me build the wings.

C3BBD906-22BB-4F9C-93F4-FA144D0D0215_zpsraipjdcc

aaaand the rigging. According to my book well my two books this rigging doesn't look that accurate anyway and there is no tail rigging so I've deciddd to do the rigging at a later date with EZ Line. B)

so first off a question, I've been thinking about this for a while and I know the wing ribs have been described as planks of wood but to be fair I don't think they look THAT bad.

8F3EA954-D967-462F-A11C-F769870B82E4_zpsighccxmo

Here you can see the planky ness but instead of sanding them clean off and starting again I'm thinking of sanding lightly and trying to achieve more of a taught cloth look.

from these pics it looks achievable as it's not too far off.

507A59E1-947D-43FD-96CC-DEB713FDDC1C_zpsdbreknvv0549C084-1D4D-4B17-AFFF-5F6DF4EA90B2_zps7b5zrm7u

And here with the before sanded kit part.

AD011F05-CC31-4E44-A7BA-355D2CE83CFE_zps6zkk5fmx

A subtle approach keeping as much as the kit as I can.

sound like a plan? It sounds like plan to me. :D Thoughts?

so while mulling that over I'll move onto these bits

210A8010-CBCD-466B-9213-D8ABF9424A0F_zpskoeesm0y

looks more like it!  B)aaaargh pin mark time.

C5C89E38-23E2-47E2-8D77-4269776887B7_zps2otnsou0

why Airfix why? There are 22 on just those 3 bits, not to mention the part numbers on the side bits.:christmas:

Once again I'm taking my own advice and keeping more of the kit, so instead of sanding the planks clean on the floor part I added blobs of milliput and dabbed flat with water. I'll chisel them out when dry.

A5C7235E-6730-4DAA-A188-F9636E46FD59_zpsbprg0gge

Now I don't have one of those electronic rubber things but I bought a milk frother from Ikea about a year ago for this very reason.

A0D4995B-D07D-41C0-BD3E-5D474B122C42_zpsrcbrduak

So I cut the end off and popped on a small pip of milliput. I'll leave that to harden then I can glue on sand paper to tackle the raised marks on the inside walls.  :wicked:

Next up is the pit parts. It should look like...

DF3708FD-C7B4-4596-88CF-532C52CEDC93_zps5d0pgbjm

and Airfix gives us.

795A7C29-5972-4599-A865-7D812754DFF7_zpseufwlyxg

a bit of clean up then.:drunk:

Heres the rear section.

7532101C-36CE-40AE-80BA-CF53E0B36225_zpscfaz3tzg

that pad looks comfy. ^_^

I filled the dipped pin marks with MP then smoothed and left to dry. The steering wheel got cleaned up but I don't really like it.

40E1D69D-E2DB-4E17-9A3C-87462F18EB84_zpsduxmvt09

I know you won't really see much of it but I hate the way it's moulded on like that. So I cut it off, cut out the middle section of an old steering wheel I had in the spares box, cut the central cross section and glued everything together.

213E901F-7ACB-4FCA-B7C5-088E7513E5EA_zpsuwv3zbaj

its not 100% but it's better to my eyes.

:lol:I need to leave those bits to dry now and I really need have to have an early night as I'm pooped after my busy weekend. :giles:

Thank you all once again for taking an interest in this. Let's see if we can't make it a bit of a doosie eh.

Take care and as always, "Happy Modelling".

Johnny wooden hills. :sleep_1:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 21

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh and.....

HahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahaha....... no. :winkgrin: x

• Like 7

On 11/06/2017 at 2:58 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

That's a great and intriguing scheme. What did the 'last days' wording refer to?

Sorry Tony I forgot you asked this. All I know is the photo I have was taken in Andover on April 1919 after Major K.R.Park flew his double crew around the British isles. I'm guessing it was Relevant to the end of the war.

great though innit. :giles:

john.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh and.....

HahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahaha....... no. :winkgrin: x

Ah you mean yes really! Much in the same way that the Burpas in Carry on up the Khyber meant yes when they shook their heads. Glad we got that one straight.

Martian

• Like 4

Nice start!

I'd sand most of those "ribs" off, remember, this is 1:72, and the fabric was taught, so there certainly shouldn't be any "edges" to the ribs.

Ian

• Like 4